Appliance Service Call Prices...WOW

Page 1 of 2
Had a service call for an icemaker problem on a GE refrig., 1 month over warranty. $79 for service call, $90 for 20 minutes labor, $150 for new icemaker for a total of $319.
GE "assisted" me by not charging for the part. Hmmm....
Luca wrote:

Now you know why this is such a busy group <sigh>
Lou

"Service is a bitch". You might think it is high but after you start up your own company and purchase trucks, parts, insurance, health care, occupational licenses, gasoline, tires and repairs, workmenscomp, taxes and a wealth of other costs, you'll begin to understand why you actually got a pretty good deal. Bubba

I have my own small office machine repair company. I currently charge 100 bucks a hour for labor plus extra travel for long distance calls.
but the costs are horrendous. my big competitor charges $250.00 for the first hour. now thats stunning..........
sears rip off service charges 2 travel charges for the same tech to service a furnace with air.
I quit shopping at sears over this blatant rip off.
generally small local repair companies cost less than big operations

Still shorting wires together to pop breakers hollerbutt? -- Tekkie GRIP = Get Rid of Incumbent Politicians
Tekkie wrote:

That's called the Jesus method.
TDD
Thanks for the laugh.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

It's true, I have a heavy duty plug with a couple of #10 stranded wires coming out with wire nuts on the bare ends of course. I will plug it into an outlet, carefully remove the wire nuts, hold the bare ends a few inches apart, turn my head away to protect my eyes from the bright flash then short them together while exclaiming "JESUS!". A bit of loud noise and an atom bomb like flash and I have found the breaker.
TDD
On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 12:37:16 -0500, The Daring Dufas

Good way to fry a GFCI breaker.
Would it be easier to use two hair dryers? Plug both in, turn on one and then the other. Should be enough current draw to trip a breaker.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

It's not as impressive or as much fun.
TDD
"We are professionals; please do not try this at home."
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Bubba wrote:

Yes, and the number one reason why new businesses fail. Many don't realize what it costs to run a business and decide they can do it for much less and then quickly go out of business when the bills come in. Especially a service business where you loose so much time because of travel.

Well said Bubba. I do realize those things even though I've never been in business.
I would think though that a service call includes some initial amount of time. Maybe the 20min/$90 the OP spoke of was for time beyond that.

Some do. Some dont. Mine does. I charge one price to come out and diagnosis the problem. If it takes me 3 hrs to diagnose, it looks like you win. If I diagnose it in 5 mins, I guess I win. Its kind of an "average". I charge what it takes to keep my doors open and make a descent profit so I will be there the next time your appliance needs repair. Bubba

I had a new guy come fix the furnace. He turned a valve, talked a lot, tapped on another valve with a crescent wrench, then charged $167 for his time. The furnace was making heat, so I paid it, but he won't be getting a call for all the rest of the stuff he wanted to do "for" me.
On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 19:39:21 -0500, Bert Byfield

So does that mean that you are pissed because someone charged you $167 to turn on a valve that you were to stupid to turn on yourself? Bubba

That means that some "professionals" charge more than others, and some "professionals" are crooks who do shoddy work for inflated prices, taking advantage of people. And some are so rude that they need to be never called again, or if online to be killfiled. Bye.
On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 15:41:56 -0500, Bert Byfield

Yup, just the same as all the restaurants, gas stations, doctors, lawyers, plumbers, etc, etc. You are really an observant idiot.

again, refer to the above paragraph. What profession doesnt have their bad group of crooks? Again, you are really and observant idiot.

Wow! You are really on a roll. Three correct statements in a row. Whooooooo, Weeeee Bubba