Appliance repair question

I need to install a $25.00 maintenance kit on a gas dryer. Just a couple of questions please. .

  1. Any idea what an appliance repair place would charge in your area for this install? .
  2. More importantly, but related to #1. How do you personally decide whether to fix something yourself, or have somebody else do it. I personally call it the 'Aggravation Factor'. If it's too much of a pain in the arse for not a huge amount of money, then I would hire someone. Otherwise, I do it myself...sometimes just to learn something. I am just curious how you make your own determination.

Thank you for your time.

Reply to
Jack

Call and ask.

One needs to understand one's limits. If you are competent, then do it yourself. If you are behind the curve, then decide if learning how to do it right is a good decision.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

I don't like to have any strangers on my place unless absolutely necessary so I try to do everything myself. The contractor is always a nice guy but the employess can be scary.

this leaves a lot unfininshed but it doesn't bother me. I can handle carpentry, plumbing and electrical around here with no help. I like the confidence that comes with being familiar with everything personally and don't have to have any ex-cons on the property.

I have most mechanical done in town since I can drive it there but have decided it's easy enough for me to change the oil. Some specialties almost require a specialized contractor like drilling a well or bulldozing a driveway.

Reply to
Lawrence

Whirlpool produces a kit of parts that they call a maintenance kit, which is for their basic dryer design. It includes a belt, idler pulley and--iirc--two rollers. My question for you is, why do you feel that you need to do this? The belt doesn't need to be replaced unless it is extremely cracked, and even then you can wait until it breaks. The idler almost never needs to be replaced unless it makes noise. And same for the rollers. Why not let yourself off the hook and just forget the whole thing?

Reply to
nospamtodd

Most charge from $50 to $100 just to knock on your door, then add $75 an hour for labor.

Some things I do, others I'm willing to pay to have done. Cleaning the oil burner, for instance. I did it once and I'm willing to pay. I no longer change my own oil in the car finding it much easier to sit back and read the newspaper while a local garage does it for $25. I'm willing to tackle most any repair though, if I have the tools and knowledge to do it.

I also look at the cost of repair versus replacement. I'm not going to spend $50 for parts to fix a microwave that can be had new for $75. Or to put $120 into a washing machine that is 20+ years old and will probably need more parts in another month or so; but I would put that $120 into a five or ten year old one. .

Age is a factor. 20 years ago, I picked up a dishwasher, brought it home and installed it where the old one was. Two years ago, I paid $60 to have it delivered, hooked up, the old one carted away. What changed? I'm 20 years older and I now make more money (adjusted for inflation) so I'm willing to have others do the heavy work. OTOH, this past summer I built a small wall in the front of the house for $400 in material. It would have been over $1000 to have it done.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski