Appliance repair parts availability

I've heard that too; never the less some dealers will still have parts after this. As prices fall of new elec goods I guess this period will diminsih if at all!

Reply to
Main Man

There is more to it than just whenever that particular model is discontinued. Just like if they discontinue making your car but still use the same brake master cylidner in a current car, so on that particular part you would get the standard 8 years (or whatever) beyond the other models use that same part also.

Reply to
scott_z500

Here, in Las Vegas, we have a dealer that sells repair parts. They apparently save stuff for a long time. I have gone there a couple of times. It is like a cross between The Twilight Zone and your Grandpa's shed.

A short guy sees what you want. He then disappears into aisles and aisles of dusty parts. He comes back with a dust covered thingus in a plastic pouch. He blows the dust off.

You pay and leave.

Sometimes, if you have an old supplier, they just let the stuff sit there until someone buys it. And they mark if up about 20% per year so by the time someone buys it, it costs 3x what it cost originally.

I needed a couple of handle ends for my oven. They wanted about fifty bucks for some cheesy parts. I made due nicely with some JB weld, a sheet metal brace, and a couple of screws. Sometimes you can do that, and sometimes you get lucky and they have the old parts.

STeve

Reply to
SteveB

Well, Hello Mr. Fancy Pants! JB Weld, sheet metal and some screws! What the hell is wrong with duct tape? I suppose you are too good for duct tape?!!!?!?!?

:)

Reply to
Matt

Choose the right model and you'll find the parts spanning 50 years. There are exceptions (finding a timer for a washing machine or a clock for an oven will always be a single-source thing) but if you can choose an appliance that uses "generic" knobs, burners, belts, whatever normal maintenance items are then you won't have a big problem.

Tim.

Reply to
shoppa

The local appliance store told me that repair/replacement parts are only made for 8 years after a new model is introduced. He said it is an industry-wide standard. Can anyone affirm that?

Reply to
William W. Plummer

More than 20 years ago, I heard that Panasonic would not sell parts for their electronic products for longer than 10 years.

Perce

On 02/11/05 12:31 pm William W. Plummer tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Manufacturers are only required to supply parts for eight years, but if there is a buck to be made the manufacturer or other suppliers will continue to supply these parts.

Reply to
tnom

Gidget, you are an incredible piece of work.

Reply to
Matt

Maybe it's time for a new appliance!....We have a biz here in Florida called Appliance Direct that almost gives the stuff away.....Ross

Reply to
Ross Mac

You *know* duct tape woud be last resort, along with some bailing wire.

Reply to
Kathy

William,

I have no trouble finding parts for a 25 yr. old stove so this seems unlikely. I think a better question would be whether parts are available after a model is discontinued rather than after a model is introduced.

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

I've heard this many times - 8 years or 10 years or 15 years. But I've never been able to find any government regulation that substantiates this general belief.

Absolutely. If I own stock in a corporation which manufacturers parts for any consumer products, then I'd expect them to continue to make parts for a particular model for as long as it is profitable and, obviously, no longer than that. Of course, the implicit monetary value of customer goodwill must also be considered, especially for the original manufacturer of that model.

Reply to
Gideon