Appliance Repair Group?

Is there one? Did a filter of 100k groups for "appliance" and the pickin's are pretty slim.

Got a side by side frig 18 yrs old. Freezer seems to be always on even at lowest setting. Stuff froze good! Some stuff in frig freezes in certain areas.

Did some googling. Seems there is a defrost thermostat and a cold control thermostat for the frig side. See nothing about a freezer thermostat. Obviously, not up on basic theory of how these work.

Thanks, Al...

Reply to
Al Bundy

I have not ever worked on a side by side, but I am fairly sure they are the same. There is only one compressor, one set of coils, the cold is only made for the freezer. The refrigerator portion "borrows" its cold from the freezer, it may or may not be fan driven. There will only be one cold control that has wiring and the thermostat, it may well be located in the refrigerator. So much for theory.

I have found the advice, parts diagrams, and information available here to be first rate:

DanG

You may find what you want at

or

Edwin Pawlowski

This will drive some people nuts thinking about it. You can't make cold.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Some Refrigerator / Freezer combinations use the Suction outlet from the Freezer to feed a s econd coil in the refrigerator causing excess liquid refrigerant flowing from the freezer coil to be vapourized before it reaches the accumulator.

Reply to
Telstra

What's in a word? Gee whiz. The philosophers may have field day about not 'making' cold! But on a practical basis we know what is meant? So let's not nit pick. And who is to say the we 'make' heat. We don't; we convert energy from one form to another. Maybe we could settle for just moving it (cold or heat or whatever) around; eh? But reminds me: This is like the time, some 50 years ago, my father in law (an old timer born around 1900) said "Hand me the turn-screw". "What?" I said. "The turns-screw, give it to me ........... ". Me; being too stunned (i.e. stupid/slow on the uptake!) "Oh, the screwdriver. Here.". On later reflection 'turn-screw' although it may have different usages in other fields (hydraulics maybe) makes more sense than screwdriver! Have fun!

Reply to
terry

Trivia time!

Amana used to make a side-by-side with two compressors. That was at least 20 years ago - maybe longer.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Sparge

I have had good luck getting both parts and advice from repairclinic.com. Have fixed refrigerator, dryer, and dishwasher with their help.

Forgive me if this seems too basic but have you tried (a) monkeying with the controls, they may be called different things in different brands but usually there is one control that addresses how much the compressor runs, and one that addresses distribution of air between the freezer and fridge. (b) checking the fridge manual troubleshooting guide. If you don't have the manual sometimes you can find a pdf of it on the net by googling.

Reply to
Heathcliff