Appliance industry warns....

"...The recent proposal from the Department of Energy is meant to boost dishwasher efficiency by setting stricter limits on the amount of water each dishwasher can use, among other changes. Under the plan, washers could use only 3.1 gallons of water for a single load.

Reply to
Oren

I remember reading something about the city of San Francisco finding it nec essary to use thousands of gallons of toxic chemicals to flush their sewer systems because of the widespread adoption of water saving toilets and plum bing fixtures not putting enough water into the sewer system to flush queer poop down the line to the sewage treatment plant. The law of unintended re sults strikes La La Land again and again. O_o

[8~{} Uncle Sewer Monster
Reply to
Uncle Monster

I can believe that. Our 1.6 gpf toilets do a great job of clearing the bowl, but I always wonder about moving things down the line to the street. I double flush often, not from need,, but for safety.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I've often wondered how much water is used by people rinsing out stuff to be recycled. Water is in short supply in many areas and the amount of water used to clean that trash must be huge.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Recycling is almost always an environmental loser. It is just a feel good program. Alumiinum makes sense as do most metals, simply because of the cost to refine it from ore Paper and plastic only make sense if the reprocessing plant is fairly close. Where I am, it makes a whole lot more sense to burn these in our waste to energy plant than to put it on a truck and ship it 1000 miles to the recycling plant. The stuff in there will burn too so why wash it? Unfortunately there was a news story about it and now they are trucking a token amount away, just to pacify the ill informed.

Reply to
gfretwell

It always gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling knowing that the feds are busy protecting me from wasteful, avaricious capitalists.

Reply to
dadiOH

On Mon, 20 Jul 2015 22:07:31 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote in

+1
Reply to
CRNG

Actually no, what with waiting times, lousy care, etc, I think veterans deserve much better than the services the VA provides. You been paying ANY attention to the news? (And from personal experience with the VA, I can tell you some of this runs at least from the mid-80s forward.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

products should be made to be DURABLE rather than cheap...... mandating a long life, rather than being recycled.

the excellent example are cordless tools, the feds should require easy to replace cells in the battery pack

Reply to
bob haller

Per Ashton Crusher:

In all the discussions, press releases, documentaries, and other stuff I have seen/heard/read nobody has addressed the difference in water supplies.

If Person A is getting their water from some aquifer that was layed down a bazillion years ago, is not getting replenished, and is slowly being drained by use... that's one thing, and maybe conservation measures above-and-beyond pricing could be appropriate.

But if Person B is getting their water from a major river running through an urban area - like the Delaware River feeds Philadelphia - who cares how much water they use? Worst-case, "wasting" water could be construed as wasting energy in that the purification plants have to work more.... best case, "wasting" water could be construed as helping out with cleaning up a dirty river.

This is from somebody unencumbered by any real knowledge... maybe somebody who knows can comment.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

We put a man on the moon and built an A-bomb but this "clean dishes with less water" thing has us flummoxed. At least according the appliance manufacturers interviewed for that Fox report.

Reply to
Robert Green

Ppl prolly recall the "reduced flow" toities, the one's that require

2-3 flushes to actually dispose of load, while simultaneously spraying fecal/whiz water all overthe bathroom. Or maybe those "stink pot" front loader water-saving washers. The one's that leave old rinse water in the drum. Boy, that's what I want! A water-saving dish washer that uses more water than claimed and/or saves the old wash water. Ya' sure ...you betchya!

Ooh, Fox! That's where I go for accurate news reporting. (not) ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

I suspect the problems might be regional , because I've had nothing but positive experiences with my VA health care . I go in tomorrow for my annual physical , the appointment was made less than 2 weeks ago . The staff at the Mountain Home Ar. center is VERY professional , they treat the patients with respect , and the care is top notch . We also have a program now that if you're more than 40 miles from a VA facility or can't get an appointment within 30 days you can see a local provider . We're still looking for a doc we like here , but it's nice to know I don't have to get hauled a hundred miles to Little Rock if I have a hospital-type emergency . Or a cold for that matter ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Robert Green wrote: ...

blow the crud off the plates with compressed air before loading the dishwasher.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Or it could end up with dishwashers that can actually clean dishes with that little water. Or have people lost their faith in modern technology? Is it so impossible to believe such dishwashers can be created? Cars used to get

11 MPG and now they get incredible higher mileage out of the same single gallon of gasoline. Why? Because the Feds pushed the industry to do so. The free market resisted every step of the way. It falls completely flat when it comes to doing things that make things better for everyone. Case in point: Set top cable boxes. The industry didn't care about making them green because someone else paid for the electricity to run them. New rules will make them care and they'll howl, too. For a while, anyway and the US may save enough electricity in the aggregate to retire more than one coal-fired plant.

Robert Green

than cheap...... mandating a long life, rather than being recycled.

feds should require easy to replace cells in the battery pack

I'd sure like if my cordless tools all had batt packs that came apart with phillips screw diver. Buy sub C nicads or nickel metals with same size (hey, we can make C and D cells the same size). Replace cells as they go bad. I could get used to that idea.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've been using LED headlamps long enough that I wonder how I got along on bulbs.

Three years ago, I got one whose 8-degree beam has the intensity of nine

100-watt incandescent bulbs on medium and runs 4 or 5 hours on a AA cell. If that's not enough, high has the intensity of 25 100W bulbs.

That could be inconveniently narrow and intense indoors. Lately, I got a second headlamp with a 23-degree beam. On high, the intensity is equal to six 100W bulbs. On medium its equal to two 100W bulbs.

Usually, I'll run a bulb for a little ambient lighting. If I want a good look at what I'm doing, I wear a headlamp.

Reply to
J Burns

Not according to anything I have seen on news reports. It is more the other way where there are pockets of goodness. Most seem to be if you live within the catchment area of a big city where most of the VA docs are also on the faculty at local medical schools. But even that often changes by specialty. Even between the cities, there are some wiht good physical plant and many without. Of course the local provider thingy sorta shows that the system has fallen to the point it can't handle what it used to on their own.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

They've managed to save 20 millions gallons of clean water by switching to low flows. Scientists claim that hydrogen peroxide or sludge eating enzymes would be far safer to use than bleach.

I saw a "Dirty Jobs" episode that was filmed in the SF sewers. Apparently they serve as home to some impressive numbers of roaches and rats. The stink apparently gets bad only in the summer. California definitely needs the water savings so they'll work something out, I am sure.

Reply to
Robert Green

I don't trust the government to do any of this but it would be great if NEMA or some other standards organization would come up with a few standard battery configurations and challenge the manufacturers to build to that standard. Imagine what it would be like if every light bulb manufacturer had a proprietary lamp base style or there were a dozen 120v power plug configurations in common use.

Reply to
gfretwell