Appliance industry warns....

Page 2 of 6
On 7/23/15 1:55 AM, Robert Green wrote:

very little space in the waste basket. Maybe I could sell those wads to start charcoal fires!
I've been keeping a sprayer with borax by the sink a couple of months, dispensing it several times a day. Last night I saw my first roach in a long time. It was on the dining-room carpet. Their speed can be frustrating for a hunter without a shotgun, so I got my sprayer and turned the nozzle to squirt.
Borax won't hurt a carpet. It will kill a bug before long, but the immediate effect is uncertain. It made him so slow that stepping on him felt unsporting.
On 7/24/2015 1:06 PM, J Burns wrote:

I have this stubborn calcium deposit stuck to my toilet bowl, and I've tried everything I can find off the store shelves that I'd normally clean it with and nothing seems to work. I actually got some of it to chip off, but it's a pain to even get that to come off. Is there anything safe I can use that'll dissolve the calcium deposits that isn't a nasty acid of some sort?
--
Maggie

On 7/24/15 2:29 PM, Muggles wrote:

What a coincidence! I bought a cheap low-flow toilet 19 years ago. I'd use CLR and and the kind of abrasive pad that looks a little like an air filter, to keep the rim clean, but it was only a few days ago that I paid attention to the dark stains at the bottom.
I waited until I wouldn't need the toilet for a couple of hours. I shut off the water, flushed, shoved in a brush to push some of the remaining water out, and added a maybe 1/2 ounce of CLR. When I came back and brushed, dark cloudiness showed it was working.
I discovered that 15 minutes after shutting off the water and flushing, the bowl might be full again. Without much water in the tank to press the flapper down, I guess it can seep.
I repeated it whenever the toilet would be idle for a period of hours. Sometimes I used CLR and sometimes vinegar. The cloudiness when I came back and brushed showed that they both worked.
That cheap toilet has a corner at the very bottom. That was the last spot to come clean. Some recommend muriatic acid, but I'd be afraid of pitting the glazing.
On 7/24/2015 4:00 PM, J Burns wrote:

I think I can get CLR at Wal-mart market, so I may try a combination of things like you tried. Heck ... if anything works I'll be happy.
--
Maggie

On 7/24/2015 5:13 PM, Muggles wrote:

Of course, CLR is an evil wicked strong acid that is responsible for the death of baby kittens in Nigeria, on odd numbered Wednesdays.
I'd love to hear that you tried a strong acid, found it worked nicely and might do it next time. I've used HCl acid in my toilet bowl, and it did clear up the calcium scale. Gave out some fumes, which were nasty for a while. Sigh.
On 7/24/2015 4:54 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Does the CLR do the same with the nasty fumes?
--
Maggie

On 7/24/15 5:59 PM, Muggles wrote:

stronger than the acetic acid in vinegar, but it's also an ingredient in skin-care products.
On 7/24/2015 8:40 PM, J Burns wrote:

ok... thanks for the info. I plan on going shopping some time tomorrow, so I'll pick some up when I go.
--
Maggie

On 7/24/2015 11:22 PM, Muggles wrote:

And for those of us reading, please let us know if the stuff works for you. Always nice to hear from real people about real world experience.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 7/25/2015 8:15 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I sure will post the results. It'll be this afternoon before I get to the store, though, so I'll probably try the product later today.
--
Maggie

On 7/25/2015 11:33 AM, Muggles wrote:

It's been a few years since I did toilet calcium scale removal. I remember using a turkey baster to remove the water, pour some CLR in, and then go to bed. Give it over night to work.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 7/25/2015 11:18 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

ok
--
Maggie

On 7/24/2015 5:59 PM, Muggles wrote:

I've never been fumed by CLR.
Nitric or hydrochloric, yes.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 7/24/2015 9:39 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

ok
--
Maggie

I used that iron remover in the brown bottle. It removed the calcium but the glaze was gone too.
On Friday, July 24, 2015 at 2:29:15 PM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:

muriatic acid isnt nearly as hazardous as some believe.
pour some down the dip tube to clean the bowl rim
On 7/25/2015 8:30 AM, bob haller wrote:

dip tube? hmmm I tried to google that part on a toilet and got all sorts of pictures. Is that the round vertical pipe that has water trickling into it when it's flushed?
--
Maggie

On Saturday, July 25, 2015 at 11:38:15 AM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:

yes, it leads to the interior bowl rim where the water comes out to make the flush. when they get clogged the flush tends to just swirl around, and solids dont go down:(
muractic acid isnt a problem. open windows, turn on bath fan if you have one, wear safety glasses..
i intentionally put muriatic acid on my arm, it was a bit warm, and after a couple minutes i washed it off.
couldnt tell anything had occured
fear of acids is overblown.
although always dd acid to water, adding water to acid can cause splashing
On 7/25/2015 1:00 PM, bob haller wrote:

What does 'dd acid to water' mean? "dd"? I'm not a plumber so ... lol
--
Maggie

On 7/25/2015 2:08 PM, Muggles wrote:

--