Appliance Garage Installation

A word of thanks up front.

I have installed cabinets a couple of time for easy kitchen remodels but I have come across a challenging (for me at least) installation dilemma.

A typical installation requires one to install the wall cabinets, base cabinets and then countertop. The challenge, and sure a lesson, is that I have a cabinet (appliance garage) that is suppose to rest on top

of the countertop.

Base Cabinet - 34.5" Countertop - 1.5" (ideal, we are going to tile) Appliance Garage - 18" Wall Cabinet - 36"

Is there any trick to the trade for installing an appliance garage and getting the correct measurements so there is not a gap either between the appliance garage and the wall cabinet? This assumes that the appliance garage "rests" on the countertop (obviously secured to the wall).

One option, not a favorable one, is to install the base cabinets, the countertop and then the wall cabinets. This way you ensure no gap exists and you can ensure all wall cabinets are of equal height.

Are there any other options available to me?

Any information would be much appreciated.

Thank you !

Reply to
richar51

snip...

Besides "measure, measure, measure" I'd add "don't assume". For example, don't assume that the floor or base cabinets or counter top or uppers are anything like parallel with each other. Don't assume that the wall or the backsplash are straight or at a right angle to the countertop or anything else. Over the span of that appliance garage even the slightest out-of-parallel condition can mean a gap on one side or the other. And believe me, even if nobody else notices that gap _you_ will see it. BTDT and have learned to really hate cabinet installation.

Reply to
John McGaw

Thank you for all that replied. I will let you know the outcome and hopefully that workable solution !! Rumour is that premanufactured cabinets give a little room for trim. On the other end of the spectrum, shims and maybe a little more trim work.

Fun Fun! Again, thank you again for all the advice.

-shawn

Reply to
richar51