Appliance age challenge

I posted message back in May (see below) challenging homeowners to see how close their judgment of their appliances' age were to the actual age as determined by the appliance's model and serial number.

There was one reply by Yasashii Arbaito which I never did see so I wasn't able to confirm their guess at the ages. I will do so now towards the end on this post. Sorry for the delay.

You can see the previous messages at this link:

> Dan O. wrote: > > > > I made a statement in an earlier post that said "People > > often have no idea how old their appliances really are. > > If the appliances still look good they often think "10-15 > > years" automatically." > > > > I'd like to test this hypothesis. > > > > If anyone is interested in helping, find the model and serial > > number on your *major* (fridges, stoves, washers, dryers, > > etc.) appliance(s) and post them here with the age you > > *think* they are (without researching their age ahead of > > time) and I'll see if I can determine their real age to see > > how close you are. > > > > It is important you post the *whole* model and serial > > number as found right on your appliances. You can > > find tips for locating their identification tags in the > > 'Repair Parts' section of my site below. > Yasashii Arbaito wrote: > > We're remodeling our kitchen and just removed the > following (installed by the previous owners): > Whirlpool 24" gas wall oven > Model # SB160PEDB-2 > Serial # FWE4946414 > Whirlpool 30" gas cooktop > Model # SC8640EDB0 > Serial # XF2501076 > KitchenAid dishwasher > Model # KUDC220T0 > Serial # 92156727 > I had guessed "around 10 years old" before looking > at them, which must be close, if I'm interpreting the > serial numbers correctly - the oven, at least, is > probably from 1994, and I suppose the dishwasher > dates to 92. > As for the cooktop, I found the instruction manual for > it, which has a 1994 copyright, so that kind of settles > that... > Sorry, not much of a "challenge" here, I'm afraid.

The wall oven looks to have been made the 49th week of 1995, the "94" in the serial number has nothing to do with its age.

The cooktop looks to have been made the 25th week of 1996 but the copyright date on the manual is a good indication as is the copyright found on many appliance's wiring diagram. At least you know it couldn't have been made previous to that date.

I don't have date code references for older KitchenAid products but I would assume with you it could possibly be a 1992 model.

All in all, not too old for appliances. Again, sorry for the tardy reply.

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

Have you notice that when a person lists them for sale in the paper, they're always "just a couple of years old".

Reply to
Tom

I've seen 30+ year old appliances that look brand new with styling even better than many current models. Most times people honestly don't know their age, other times they may just be trying to make a sale as buyers often have no clue about what age the appliance may really be.

But then again I've seen some appliance from dealer's floor stock with are over 5 years old but yet have never been used and are technically "brand new".

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

"Dan O." wrote in message news:hj3Db.7400$ snipped-for-privacy@read2.cgocable.net...

this is Turtle.

I have seen some HVAC Condenser units that was 7 years old but was stored in a warehouse and forgot about and they pull them out and sold as new with a 7 year old serial number date code. they came with 5 year warrenty on all parts just like the new ones. Now i get a mark down when I see this.

Here is you a funny one to look at. About 5 years ago I was at my warehouse and they found a 10 ton Gas heat package out back at the warehouse and the tag was gone. You can't tell what it is by not having the model number and serial number to go by. You could look at it tell it was a 10 or a 12.5 ton by looks and the compressor cross reference numbers but you can't get a warrenty with out a model and serial number to take down. the thing would sell for about $4K normally but without numbers it hit the dirt on price. I offered them $100.00 and not a penny more. they laugh and went on. about 6 months later they was cleaning out the warehouse and the supervisor told them to move it. They started talking to me about the $100.00 I had offered and I went down to $75.00. They told me that it had no serial number and i could have it for $75.00 but without the serial number i had no warrenty. I told them well i will take it but if i find a serial number i want the warrenty. they said OK. I bought it and was loading it up and looked in the blower wheel and seen the inside model and serial number tag loose in the squirrel cage. I charged it , loaded it up on my trailor with 3 more 10 tons just like it and was ready to drive off and then told them to come out and see the model and serial number tag. I pulled the blower housing and pull the tag out. i got the warrenty, $4K unit, and just like new for $75.00. It has been 5 years now and they are still talking about me stealing their 10 ton gas pack from them.

So Dan-0 and other guys that sell hvac or Refrigeration equipment keep a eye on those tags for no or problem reading tags and steal them if you can. If you can't read the tag very well or have numbers missing off the tag, or double stamped numbers. Steal it.

Dan-0 i bet you rarely look at the tags when you pick up some equipment do you. I started about 5 years ago and have made some bargains watching the tags and date codes on them. If the date code is more than a year old. i want a discount and usely get the 4% State sales tax cut off them. Most manufactor will give a 5% to 10% discount on a serial number date code over

2 year old.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE