Apostasy: Texan can't park pickup in driveway

Page 1 of 2

"[FRISCO, TX] Jim Greenwood said he never dreamed his HOA would have a problem with his new Ford F-150 pickup. Then he received the first of three notices threatening him with fines.
"Stonebriar HOA rules allow several luxury trucks on driveways, including the Cadillac Escalade, Chevy Avalanche, Honda Ridgeline and Lincoln Mark LT.
"But most Ford, Dodge or Chevy pickups are restricted."
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/DN-friscopickups_17met.ART0.West.Edition1.4d8a269.html
First they came for the Fords. I didn't protest because I didn't have a Ford...

Gee....you don't suppose someone buying a house in a HOA should have read the rules first?
Harry K
Harry K wrote:

You're kidding, right? The last set of HOA rules I saw were in two binders, each one thicker than a major city telephone book. Paul MR

Buyer beware. Never buy where there is a HOA. There's the guy who was told he couldn't fly the US flag in his yard.
http://www.dvorak.org/blog/?p 093
Those stupid HOAs CAUSE more problems.

If you can see more than two of your neighbors from your house, you live too close together for my taste. The idea of an HOA makes sense in the city, if it's condos or the buildings are attached, but not for free-standing single-family homes. Why on earth does anyone put up with that? My mother's retirement community calls themselves an HOA, but the residents don't own the cottages, so it's not like there's much responsibility. They have only a few "quality of life" rules, and they're very easy to live with (non-residents must park in vistor parking, etc.).

One problem you will find with most HOA's is that they refuse the would be home buyer a copy of the rules until the closing. I have placed several bids on houses part of the bid being subject to having a copy of the home owners rules for review. You would be shocked as to how many come back with an answer that the HOA doesn't allow the rules to be handed out before closing. Thats when you walk away. Lou
On Aug 19, 4:08am, snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote:

In one apartment complex where I lived, I got in a little tiff with the management because they had a "no maintenance" rule. Apparently someone had seen me removing the carburetor from my girlfriend's car in the parking lot and reported me (I was outside all of five minutes.) I was then told that "no maintenance" means that the hood cannot be raised nor can the car be jacked up. period.
The retarded thing was that I know my immediate neighbors did not report me because they all knew the car (a very distinctive, old car) and liked it and would come down to chat about old cars if they saw me with tools.
it was then that I realized that a) I had to move quickly before I eventually got evicted and b) when I eventually did get financially able to buy a house I was definitely looking for one that did not fall under an HOA so I didn't end up in a similar situation.
nate
On Aug 19, 6:08am, snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote:

Interesting story, many years ago, about a guy in UK who was ordered to paint his somewhat run down house property.
He did. Painting various parts of the house, including the entire in roof, in vivid in different colours, in stripes, polka dots etc. He complied with the municipality's order but not quite with the result they intended.
Also here one resident successfully appealed an order about her garden; turned out that it really was 'A natural garden' not just an unkempt one, featuring local and natural plants and bushes.
Not, the unnatural array of Kentucky Blue Grass (Which doesn't grow well here; is prone to Cinch bug and doesn't survive icy winters as well as other plants) along with trees and bushes from the big box stores, some of which are very unsuited to our cool and next to the North Atlantic climate.
We have grown some 67 trees, some of which, despite the thin soil are now 35 to 40 feet high, sticking mainly with trees we know are acclimatised. Our carbon footprint having added all those trees is, we feel, in the black?
Oh, btw next weekend (depending on the weather!) we are going to put new brakes on both the Nissans, in our 60 foot long driveway. Most likely one of the neighbours, seeing us at it, will drop over and lend a hand.

There are different shades of black. Our footprint is in the carbon black.

That alone is reason to walk away. I'd never buy a house in a HOA run place.
Paul MR wrote:

So you're recommending somebody buy a major investment w/o reading the conditions associated w/ it????
Hardly wise counsel it would seem... :(
dpb wrote:

Buy? Fie! The obvious advice is to run as fast as possible in the opposite direction. Paul MR.

The only time I ever lived in a house governed by an HOA, I had moved from rural upstate NY to West Palm Beach. I had no idea what an HOA was, nor was it explained to me before I bought the house. I was told it was a "planned community" and it did look nicely laid out, so what the hell. The idea that someone could tell me what kind of car I could park in my own driveway, what shrubs to plant, what color to paint, etc. was so foreign to me I never would have thought to ask about it.
I spent a miserable four years there and vowed never again.
But nobody is telling him he can't park it in the garage, right?
HeyBub wrote:

Or on the front yard?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
HeyBub wrote:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/DN-friscopickups_17met.ART0.West.Edition1.4d8a269.html
Why is a Honda Ridgeline considered a luxury truck? What makes it more luxurious than an F-150 or Silverado?
larry moe 'n curly wrote: ...

Somebody on the HOA board had one when they were drafting the covenants, of course... :(

This really sounds more like an operational rule than a bylaw or deed restriction. I bet if you could get 30 people to show up at an annual meeting you could change it. I bet the deed restriction only uses language like "work truck" or "commercial vehicle" and the definition is left up to the board. In my little HOA we actually killed the deed restrictions altogether, just by getting enough people to show up. These things usually sunset if you don't renew them. All you need to do is show up at that meeting with the votes and let them die. The world is controlled by those who show up.
On Aug 18, 3:53pm, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Truly excellent advice, and words to live by.