Apartment maintenance workers are dumb

Last year my dishwasher started collecting nasty disgusting water in the bo ttom. None of us knew anything about fixing dishwashers so we assumed it wa s broken and called maintenance. Took them 7 weeks to 'fix' it, Their solut ion, after looking at it once for a few minutes, was to replace the whole u nit with a brand new washer.

The next week, the new washer had the same problem, with nasty food water c ollecting at the bottom.

Talked to my Uncle, he clued me in to check on the drain pipe running betwe en the washer and the garbage disposal unit. Like he suspected, the pipe wa s laying flat on the floor and the water was dripping down from the disposa l into the washer.

I pulled the pipe up so it rose higher than the disposal, havent had the pr oblem for a year now.

Reply to
Steve

bottom. None of us knew anything about fixing dishwashers so we assumed it was broken and called maintenance. Took them 7 weeks to 'fix' it, Their solution, after looking at it once for a few minutes, was to replace the whole unit with a brand new washer.

collecting at the bottom.

the washer and the garbage disposal unit. Like he suspected, the pipe was laying flat on the floor and the water was dripping down from the disposal into the washer.

problem for a year now. Hmmm, Pot calling kettle black?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Every problem is easy to solve when someone tells you what the answer is.

You couldn't figure out what the problem was either until someone told you.

Reply to
nestork

I'm a repairman. Some of the problems I fix are caused by seemingly unrelated causes. There might be a combination of causes. I get a kick out of the customer's response sometimes when I tell them what the culprit was. "I thought that might be it". Yeah, right. Some wouldn't recognize the failed part if it jumped up and bit them.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

bottom. None of us knew anything about fixing dishwashers so we assumed it was broken and called maintenance. Took them 7 weeks to 'fix' it, Their solution, after looking at it once for a few minutes, was to replace the whole unit with a brand new washer.

collecting at the bottom.

the washer and the garbage disposal unit. Like he suspected, the pipe was laying flat on the floor and the water was dripping down from the disposal into the washer.

problem for a year now.

What brand/model of d/w?

Did anyone think to check the installation instructions or FAQs?

When I installed our GE d/w it came with very clear instructions with pictures of how to install the drain.

But you're right, it seems pretty simple for anyone who has installed a d/w or a "maintenance" guy. Was his name Chris?

BTW. It's not that the pipe was on the floor, it's that it wasn't elevated above the inlet to the gd.

Reply to
gonjah

I get much the same thing.

I renovated my apartment block with new ceramic tiling, paint and sheet vinyl in the bathrooms, vinyl composition floor tiles on the floor, new carpets, paint, appliances, windows and kitchen counter tops.

And, now when I show suites to prospective tenants, they say "You've done a wonderful job."

But, the bottom line is that the people saying that are just commenting on whether or not they like what they SEE, which is largely going to be determined by how well the colours of everything go together. None of them know any of the reasons I chose the building materials I did or why I installed them the way I did, so I'm being told I've done a good job by someone who wouldn't know a good job from a bad one.

People just try to be friendly, and I let them, but a compliment coming from them really means "it looks like it might be well done; I really don't know how well it's done".

Reply to
nestork

e bottom. None of us knew anything about fixing dishwashers so we assumed i t was broken and called maintenance. Took them 7 weeks to 'fix' it, Their s olution, after looking at it once for a few minutes, was to replace the who le unit with a brand new washer.

er collecting at the bottom.

etween the washer and the garbage disposal unit. Like he suspected, the pip e was laying flat on the floor and the water was dripping down from the dis posal into the washer.

e problem for a year now.

Not at all. They are supposed to be 'professionals', this is their job. Not only did it take them 7 weeks to address this simple problem, but they did not even correct the issue, which was as easy as elevating a piece of plas tic tubing. Sure, I appreciate the new washer, but it didnt fix anything. Y ou would think that people skilled enough to disassemble and install these units would also be able to read the instruction manual.

Reply to
Steve

the bottom. None of us knew anything about fixing dishwashers so we assumed it was broken and called maintenance. Took them 7 weeks to 'fix' it, Their solution, after looking at it once for a few minutes, was to replace the w hole unit with a brand new washer.

ater collecting at the bottom.

between the washer and the garbage disposal unit. Like he suspected, the p ipe was laying flat on the floor and the water was dripping down from the d isposal into the washer.

the problem for a year now.

ot only did it take them 7 weeks to address this simple problem, but they d id not even correct the issue, which was as easy as elevating a piece of pl astic tubing. Sure, I appreciate the new washer, but it didnt fix anything. You would think that people skilled enough to disassemble and install thes e units would also be able to read the instruction manual.

Read the instruction manual? That's heresy on this group!

Reply to
Pavel314

Gotcha but would it made you feel better if they said it looked shitty or they weren't crazy about it ??

Reply to
Doug

Either one of those remarks would have at least been HONEST.

But, when someone who doesn't know anything about what you do tells you that you've done a good job, it's slightly annoying. In an apartment block, what really matters is how long the renovation LASTS, not how good it LOOKS, although it should look acceptable too. They're presuming that GOOD LOOKS = GOOD QUALITY, and I know better. Every professional out there can set tiles or install a counter top that will LOOK better than mine, but mine will still look good after 20 years, whereas theirs are only designed to last the 12 months until their warranty expires.

Here's a good example:

Dozens of companies in every city will install a plastic laminate counter top for you. But, how many of them will paint the particle board that's exposed when they cut a hole for the sink or faucet with a waterproof paint to prevent that exposed particle board from absorbing water and swelling up? EVERY time you remove a cartridge from a faucet to replace the washer or service the faucet somehow, the water that's still in the spout will come pouring out of the faucet body. Unless you've filled the faucet body with plumber's putty or something else, that water will drain into the space below the faucet cover and slowly leak out the holes cut in the counter top where the faucet is mounted. Do that a few times and the particle board swells but the laminate doesn't, and the laminate breaks free of the particle board supporting it.

When I do that job, not only do I paint the exposed particle board on the side of the holes and the underside of the counter top around those holes with oil based paint or penetrating wood repair epoxy, whenever I service a kitchen faucet in my building, I remove the aerator on the end of the spout and use a short piece of vinyl tubing to siphon the water out of the faucet body before servicing the faucet. That way, no water leaks out.

It's the swelling of that wood that causes the laminate to separate from it, and as soon as the laminate isn't well supported by that wood, it's as thin and brittle as dried leaf and that's the beginning of the end of that counter top. By taking steps to prevent my plastic laminate from absorbing water, I'd eliminating the most common cause of plastic laminate tops from needing to be replaced. And, that's something that a prospective tenant doesn't see. So, when he tells me I've done a good job, he doesn't know the half of it. Each and every one of us in here finds it annoying when someone talks authoritatively about something they know nothing about, and I'm no different.

Reply to
nestork

bottom. None of us knew anything about fixing dishwashers so we assumed it was broken and called maintenance. Took them 7 weeks to 'fix' it, Their solution, after looking at it once for a few minutes, was to replace the whole unit with a brand new washer.

collecting at the bottom.

the washer and the garbage disposal unit. Like he suspected, the pipe was laying flat on the floor and the water was dripping down from the disposal into the washer.

problem for a year now.

Your story would have made more sense if you didn't use the word "pipe" to describe what you elevated.

Methinks what you raised was a hose, "pipe" usually denotes something rigid if it doesn's have the adjective "flexible" in front of it.

Jeff

Reply to
jeff_wisnia

Unless you've actually asked them what they meant, *you* are presuming that they are presuming that good looks = good quality. It's very possible that they meant nothing more than "You've done a wonderful job...making it look good."

The only way to really know what they meant is to ask them.

Really? Do you really believe the *every* professional that installs tile and counter tops "designed" the installation to only last as long as the warranty? That's an even bolder presumption than your presumption that you know exactly what your prospective tenants mean.

Oh wait...maybe we should all be presuming that you really didn't mean what you specifically said.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I'm a repairman. Some of the problems I fix are caused by seemingly unrelated causes. There might be a combination of causes. I get a kick out of the customer's response sometimes when I tell them what the culprit was. "I thought that might be it". Yeah, right. Some wouldn't recognize the failed part if it jumped up and bit them.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon