Anyone using propane tank level monitoring app?

Page 1 of 2
Have you experience with using a remote propane monitor on your phone? http://support.tankutility.com/article/9-getting-started
My thousand-gallon propane tank just ran almost dry (down to 20%) because the propane company forgot to fill it on schedule at around 30%.
I had to make an emergency call, but I'm considering adding a $15 Rochester Remote Ready (R3D) compatible level dial http://www.tankutility.com/r3d-compatible-gauge-faces/
And then I can connect the remote-sensing wifi hardware: http://www.tankutility.com/residential-propane-tank-monitor/
And then, on my Android or iOS mobile device, I can see the tank level in real time using an app of my choice (after making sure I paint the tank with WiFi, perhaps from a Ubiquiti bullet and cheap 14dBi antenna). https://www.ubnt.com/airmax/bulletm/
The batteries on the remote-sensing device last 2.5 years, but I can even put a thumb-sized solar charger on it, since the requirements aren't all that great. https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/articles/solar-articles/solar-info.html
Have any of you experience with such a thing?

I don't have any experience with a propane monitoring system, but if you want WiFi to cover your whole house and more than 10 acres of land, you need to get a long range, high power, outdoor router antenna, on the roof of your house, for around $80.00. No more dead spots. Adjustable power.
On 9/1/2016 5:11 PM, cowabunga dude wrote:

do you have a suggestion for such a device?
On Thu, 1 Sep 2016 17:15:50 -0700, Taxed and Spent wrote:

Yes. But I don't have experience with them.
The most often suggested is the first on this list: http://www.postscapes.com/wifi-propane-remote-monitoring-tank-utility/
It's this one: http://www.tankutility.com/r3d-compatible-gauge-faces/
On Thu, 01 Sep 2016 20:37:25 -0500, cowabunga dude wrote:

I recommend Ubiquiti equipment.
Cheap. Powerful. Lots of support. Nice forum. https://community.ubnt.com/t5/custom/page/page-id/Forums
That forum is kind of like the home repair forum, and absolutely nothing like the Apple forum (which is filled with babies).
On Thursday, September 1, 2016 at 8:11:11 PM UTC-4, cowabunga dude wrote:

se

ster

in

en

want WiFi to cover your whole house and more than 10 acres of land, you nee d to get a long range, high power, outdoor router antenna, on the roof of y our house, for around $80.00. No more dead spots. Adjustable power.
If you have a house with propane on a 10 acre site, why do you need to cover the whole property with wifi? I'm sure the majority of people have a propane tank located a short distance from their house, where it will be within wifi range.
On 9/1/2016 7:16 PM, trader_4 wrote:

The outhouse is at the far edge of the property, and that is where he does his smartphone work.
On Thu, 1 Sep 2016 19:16:06 -0700 (PDT), trader_4 wrote:

Most tanks are pretty close to the house. They can't be closer than 25 feet from a flammable object (house included) but they're usually not much further than 25 to 50 feet.
However, most companies who put in tanks include as part of the original quote that they will lay 100 feet of pipe in a trench that you have to dig.
So, I would guess from that standard quote, that 100 feet is generally the maximum for "most" homes.
On Thu, 01 Sep 2016 19:11:02 -0500, cowabunga dude wrote:

system, but if you want WiFi to cover your whole house and more than 10 acres of land, you need to get a long range, high power, outdoor router antenna, on the roof of your house, for around $80.00. No more dead spots. Adjustable power.
Painting a propane tank with WiFi is almost trivial, no matter how far away from the house it may be.
Due to the nature of trenching requirements, most tanks are within 50 feet of the house (although they can't be closer than 25 feet by code).
50 feet is absolutely nothing for a WiFi transmitter (we only use Ubiquiti equipment such as a pico or nano or rocket).
We can paint a WiFi transmitter ten miles away with these things.

For someone who constantly trolls the Apple news groups with bullshit claims that Android is the best mobile operating system for those who want to protect their privacy, it's humorous that you would choose to use a device that sends data about your propane and energy usage to strange internet servers, proving you aren't at all concerned about privacy and are just trolling. : D

First thing is to decide what kind of monitoring you want. There are some very nice transponders that use cell data, but I'm not interested in paying $40 or more a month for monitoring, even if it does monitoring by a phone app.
I just installed a remote level reader on a water tank 500' from the house. The transmitter comes with a remote receiver that sits in the house and can be set to alarm at an adjustable high or low level. I don't need to know the moment it happens, so waiting until I'm home is fine.

No need to spend anything like that.

On Fri, 2 Sep 2016 09:25:54 -0600, crankypuss wrote:

I do the same as you, but many of the residents here are not home for many months at a time (I don't think there is a single person here who only owns a single home).
So you have to have someone *check* the tank if you don't have any way of checking it yourself.
Out here, Amerigas and Suburban and Ferrell Gas will come on a calculated schedule basis.
But a 50,000 gallon pool sucks up propane like you can't believe; so it's hard to calculate when you'll run out of fuel just after having left on a 3-month vacation (which many here do).

I have called all the propane suppliers in the area, and while some have automatic tank-monitoring equipment (some use GPS satellites, others user the customers' cellphone or landline), most don't have any automatic monitoring.
In general, for the majority who don't offer automated level meters, they tell me they visit when they *calculate* 30% to be the remaining fuel in the tank.

The question was asked for the residents in our homeowner association, which covers everyone who lives in the surrounding mountains (a few hundred homes in toto).
It wasn't necessarily asked for me (although my gas company already agreed to give me a free R3D for my own tank). The R3D is about $15 bucks retail, and the installation is trivial (two screws) but most people will opt for the $50 installation fee to have the propane company install the dial.

Why are they heating a pool they aren't using for three months?
On 9/2/2016 3:50 PM, Patty Winter wrote:

Keeps deadly bacteria alive so anyone sneaking into the pool will get sick. Or worse
On Fri, 2 Sep 2016 17:03:32 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Heating a pool would only increase the bacteria, which I assume you realized and you were only joking.
On Fri, 2 Sep 2016 19:50:41 -0000 (UTC), Patty Winter wrote:

Re-read what I wrote. There was a temporal clause in there. The heating of the pool came before the vacation. If people don't check their tanks before going on vacation, then they might be surprised how much fuel was used up in heating the pool.
It was just an example.

It sounds like you are now trying to claim that in your example, the pool heater is in fact turned off before the people go on vacation, but because it had been on, they hadn't realized how low the propane tank had gotten. If that's the example you're now trying to use, then the simple solution is for them to check the propane level before they leave on vacation.
I can see the utility of being able to remotely check the level, but it can't substitute for carelessness.
On Saturday, September 3, 2016 at 12:49:20 PM UTC-4, Patty Winter wrote:

Actually the smartphone/remote monitoring is a substitute for some level of carelessness. Like he pointed out, you could forget to check while leaving for vacation and with remote capability, you can check, recover, etc. Same thing with internet capable thermostats. If you leave for a week and can't remember if you turned down the heat, it solves that problem too.

+1 : )