Anyone using LED lighting at home yet?

Page 2 of 3
Pete C. wrote:

Well, phooey. Here's a bunch from an alternate source:
http://www.besthomeledlighting.com/all_led_bulbs?gclid=CL3Y0PDs3pYCFRsRagoda2Wu3A
Add pictures here
✖

I use the little pop lights under some counters in hard to wire spaces. They are ok in a pinch, but I do not like the color of light they put out. I could not imagine using them on large areas. After a while, the light makes me dizzy.
Steve
Add pictures here
✖
SteveB wrote:

The keys to lighting design in residential areas is controlling glare and keeping the color temperature consistent. With your LED pucks being a very different color temp than the rest of the lighting in the area you have a huge clash. If you use all the same color temp lighting in an area your eyes will readily adjust to it.
Add pictures here
✖
On Nov 4, 12:01 pm, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

No, its a hideously ugly bluish-white light that seems to throb at you. LED is not ready for prime time, I'd wait.
Add pictures here
✖
On Nov 4, 12:01 pm, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

Alot of what you see now is now is no more efficent than an incandesant bulb with poor color. They will get better fast but for now I only consider flourescents.
Add pictures here
✖

Fluorescents?
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

I have been pricing them for a while. Some are becoming affordable and offer long life and plenty of light. Look here: http://www.superbrightleds.com/led_prods.htm
--
Claude Hopper :)

? ? ¥
✖
Claude Hopper wrote:

FWIW the automotive LEDs that they sell are pretty much garbage. not bright enough to be safe. Yes, I had to try 'em.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Funny... many newer cars are built using LED's for the tail and brake lights and they are BLINDING compared to the incandescents they replaced.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

yep, there is a huge difference. The 1157 "bulb replacements" just aren't there yet.
I would really like to have LEDs for my '55 Stude because the lenses are fairly small and with a regular 1034 bulb I have concerns about other drivers seeing me in bright daylight. The only "bulb replacements" I've found that I consider acceptable were a 2W, 4-led unit that I bought from a Hong Kong based web site. They weren't cheap either, and due to their design I would not consider them acceptable for a reflector-based taillight, only one that relies heavily on Fresnel-type optics.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
✖
On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 12:01:06 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

I've been using LED flashlights for 4 years now. Like them a lot. My incandesent lamp supply is still going strong and will probably last several years before I consider LED or flourescent. I have one bulb that is over 30 years old and still burning.
Add pictures here
✖
Phisherman wrote:

I have an LED headlight and tail light array on my bicycle. They are bright at night.
--
Claude Hopper :)

? ? ¥
✖

Red, yellow leds are more efficent than the white ones by a big margin, the white ones ive seen are bluish, but my led flashlight is the best I have had and only 5$ for 9 leds.
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 16:13:34 -0800 (PST), ransley

There aren't any real white LEDs. Those are blue ones with a chemical that glows yellow.

Mark Lloyd
✖
Mark Lloyd wrote:

I like blueish white lights.
--
Claude Hopper :)

? ? ¥
✖
<snip>

Check out this LED flash light. I bought one and it really throws a beam a long way.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired
Phisherman wrote:

My favorite LED flashlight is a rechargeable trouble light, a sort of wand that stands 16" tall including the hook. It weighs less than a pound. It provides an even, diffuse light that brings out colors pretty well, so it's easy to see things when I use it as a work light or a flashlight. Its size makes it easy to spot when I need it. It's easy to find a way to stand, lay, lean, or hang it to illuminate my work. Sometimes if I can't see what I'm doing under a hood in daylight, I can see better if I wait until dark and work by this light. It will last 14 hours on a charge, which makes it useful as a lantern during power failures.
I'd say LEDs are supreme in this application. The only problem is that the three AA NiMH cells are soldered in and very hard to get to. It's designed to charge them in series using a C/10 charger. In my experience, nickel cells don't last very long with such a charger. They begin to self-discharge faster and faster, so after a year a light may not work if you've left it on the shelf a week after charging. If it were designed to pop in three freshly charged AA cells, it would be ideal.
Motion-detector lights, indoors or out, look like another application where LEDs could be advantageous. Using a motion detector means you don't need to install a switch (in some cases a three-way switch), you don't need to switch the light on, and it won't be left on accidentally. With LEDs, a set of batteries can last years, so you don't need wiring. The LEDs should stand up very will in locations where they will be switched on and off dozens of times each day.
Add pictures here
✖

what brand and model is it?
where did you buy it?
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

It's a Vector LED Rechargeable Bright Bar Model WLB26P. Apparently it's part of Black and Decker.

It was a small general store near here.
I see I was mistaken about how long a charge lasts: 4 hours on high (24 LEDs) and 7 hours on low (16 LEDs). When I took it apart, the quality of construction looked good. I suppose I've had it a year, and so far the batteries have always been charged when I needed it. Still, I wish I could modify it so I could keep charged cells in my pocket and put them in when needed.
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 12:01:06 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

I bought an LED (replacing an incandecent Halogen) reflector bulb for my outdoor 12 v. lighting, about $5 at WalMart. Works great for accent lighting, I think it has a bluish cast. The bulb itself contains 7 LEDs. Nice energy saver.
Add pictures here
✖