Anyone using a surge suppressor on their washing machines?

Page 1 of 5
A friend with a new state of the art super high tech electronic dash computer controlled washer claims it is best to power the beast thru a surge suppressor.
Was wondering if the learned members of this group thought this was a good idea or a not so good idea.
Steve

On Wed, 18 May 2016 23:14:47 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Not a bad plan, just be sure your grounding electrode system is up to the task. Point of use protectors are basically for devices that have multiple inputs but are still just to catch things a robust array point of entry protectors missed.
On 5/18/2016 7:56 PM, Steve Stone wrote:

That depends on what you think you'll be protecting against, whether your utilities are overhead or below grade, where the nearest step-down Xformer is for your little feed (usually, ~4 homes in a cluster).
It also depends on the quality of surge protector you install.
Many are just "surge protectors" in name, only.
On Wed, 18 May 2016 20:33:10 -0700, Don Y

So is one of these safer than the other?

In my case, I'm the 8th townhouse from the xformer. 7 x 22 feet is 154 feet. Does this mean the first house is the most vulnerable and it gets less as the distance increases?

SPINOs?
On Thursday, May 19, 2016 at 8:15:23 AM UTC-4, Micky wrote:

Below grade is obviously safer, it can't get a direct hit from lightning like overhead wired going to a house.

I wouldn't worry about it. I doubt it makes much, if any difference and I'm sure you won't see any data one way or the other. I've never seen any surge protection experts have it enter into the discussion for how you protect your home.
trader_4 posted for all of us...

Tell that to my neighbor...
--
Tekkie

On Thursday, May 19, 2016 at 4:28:49 PM UTC-4, Tekkie® wrote:

Tell us more. Where and how did this direct hit to an underground service take place?
On 5/19/2016 5:10 PM, trader_4 wrote:

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2016/03/16/lightning-strike-ignites-gas-line-in-oswego/

8 hours to turn off a gas supply?!?
-- A group of cowboys were branding some cattle. While they were out the cook saw a sheep tied to a post. Thinking it was for that nights dinner he cooked it. That night after dinner the cowboys were all sulking and ignoring the cook. He pulled one aside and asked, "Did I screw up the cooking?" "No", the cowboy replied, "You cooked up the screwing."
On Thu, 19 May 2016 14:10:16 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

The lightning lab at UCF in conjunction with Florida Power and Light have done a lot testing with lightning and they have some great Fulgurites that showed lightning penetrating 2 meters or more underground. Safer underground? certainly but if it is a wide open spot with nothing but sand for it to hit, that cable down there 4 or 5 feet may be pretty attractive to a bolt.
BTW in my inspecting career, the most robust lightning protection I have ever seen in a building is for a toll booth at MM99 on I-75. It is the only decent target for miles around, The array was more than they put in the ground for the radio towers that are along the highway.
trader_4 posted for all of us...

Sorry, that was 30+ years ago at a former neighbor and I only heard about i t from him. He usually didn't embellish things but I know there was a lot a digging and trucks around his house.
--
Tekkie

On Thursday, May 19, 2016 at 5:10:21 PM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:

underground wires can pick up surges if lightning hits a nearby tree.
Best bet is to unplug the washer when not in use.
Or buy one with mechanical controls.
Mark
On Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 11:33:13 PM UTC-4, Don Y wrote:

And why did you start a whole new thread?

Did he?
--
Why is it that people say they "slept like a baby" when babies wake up every two hours?

On Wed, 18 May 2016 20:33:10 -0700, Don Y

feet from the transformer. OK - so I KNOW it's overkill -and my computers are protected on dual conversion UPS units too.
I75 in what state??????
On Fri, 20 May 2016 15:06:10 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

Florida
On 05/18/2016 08:56 PM, Steve Stone wrote:

Anything you do to minimize voltage spikes on your power line is a good thing...just keep in mind that the typical surge suppression device needs a good path to ground to function properly.
FWIW, most homes don't have a good ground system. You'll typically find the outdoor connection from the #6 ground wire to the ground rod is loose and/or corroded.
On 05/19/2016 03:24 AM, Roscoe wrote:

Not really. A surge suppressor is simply an MOV which will shunt voltage spikes.