Anyone use Flexible Gas Line (CSST)?

I would welcome any replies, especially from professionals, or those with some experience working with CSST

Here is my situaion. I had a gas line professionally installed a few months back for a new gas stove. They used vinyl coated Corregated Stainless Steel Tubing (CSST), which is approved for residential use in my area (Seattle) (as I understand). They ran it from existing iron piping (furnace) to the stove area (about 25 feet).

I recently redesigned the kitchen, and in the process moved the stove over 1 foot, so the stove connection needed to be moved, since it now was centered on the stove, and did not allow the stove to be fully pushed back (onto the anti-tip bracket).

I called the contractor, who wanted $100 to come out. That seemed fair, although for 10-15 minutes of work, nevertheless expensive. I scheduled. I got stood up/no call. I got annoyed because this is the second time this contractor did this. I was annoyed enough to go out on the web and find the installation guide for TracPipe, which actually explained the fittings.

I took the fitting apart (it was a "flange mount auto-flare"), cut the tubing with my copper pipe tubing cutter, which worked fine. Removedc the "flange mount auto-flare adaptor". Put the CSST through the new hole I had drilled. Put the "flange mount auto-flare adaptor" back on. Put the split ring around the first corregation, and tightened. Relatively easy.

So am I crazy for doing this? The issues I can think of are:

-I neglected to block the tubing off when I pushed it through the new hole, so some debris might have entered the CSST tubing

-I read that one needs to be "certified" to work with CSST. Obviously I am not. Did I miss anything?

-I don't have a torque wrench. The installation guide specifies a certain torque value, depending upon the fitting and tubing size. I tightened it well, and tested for leaks with some dishsoap/water (no bubbles). I dont smell any gas.

-I reused the split ring. I read in the manual that this can be reused up to 4 times.

-I have moved the stove in and out several times in the process. Should I replace the flexible line from the shut-off valve to the stove?

Everything seemed relatively straighforward, but never having worked with CSST and these fittings, I would like some feedback. I would prefer to have someone come out and check my work, but it seems unlikely that I am going to find anyone willing to just come out and disassemle/reassemble this connection. If I couldn't get a commitment for $100 to move the line, how am I going to get someone to come out and check it?

On the other hand, I have also read that residential natural gas is piped in at very low pressures, and is not incredibly combustible. I would smell gas at a significant level before it became an explosion hazard (so I have read). So maybe there are no worries...

thanks

Reply to
chester

"chester" wrote

The problem is that the consumer, you in this case, doesn't allow for the travel, cost of fuel, vehicle, inventory, insurance, etc., anything that you can't see.

To you it's 15-20 minutes at your home, to the servicer it could be an hour to your home, 20 minutes inside, then the other expenses listed above. Trust me when I tell you that most of the time the servicer is not parked in your driveway waiting for you to call. Then, after all of the expenses he has to cover he should come out with some form of profit that will be taxed like most employee's don't get taxed. The poor guy might be left with a few bucks if the check doesn't bounce.

Reply to
Ed

So most contractors sit home and drink beer because they can't be bothered pick up the phone and tell you that they aren't coming, let alone actually want to do any work.

Reply to
Noozer

This is normal... You'll have to keep calling different contractors for the next few months until you get fed up and do it yourself. Occuasionally you will get lucky and someone will need their TV or beer fridge repaired so will show up to do as little as possible and then take a big wad of cash.

I'm so tired of trying to hire someone to do anything that we're just going to sell the house and move back to an apartment where I can hold rent back if something is broke.

Reply to
Noozer

"Noozer" wrote

I'm sure there are people like that. I'm also sure that they are a minority. I can't be sure how many of them drink beer, my guess would be not too many. It has been said that 20% of beer drinkers drink 80% of the beer. Not all of them are contractors.

Reply to
Ed

I totally understand. That is why I said it "seemed fair". It still seemed expensive (to me) for what they had to do, but I realize they have to travel, carry insurance, have expenses, etc. Hey, I scheduled them at that cost, and was totally happy to do so. They just didnt show up....

Ed wrote:

Reply to
chester

Reply to
chester

So who gives a rat's ass? He is not complaining about the cost, but the guy has not shown up, twice. What did you contribute to help the guy?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote

The servicer gives a "rat's ass", that's for sure.

That's unfortunate and I wouldn't give him a third chance.

At least as much as you did.

Reply to
Ed

Reply to
calhoun

Making more friends, eh Ed?

I'm so proud of you.

Reply to
Matt

Thanks a lot for the reply.

As far as the term> I will answer your questions.

Reply to
chester

Matty, I had you in my killfile but decided to take you out. You are probably wondering why. After all, you're family won't talk to you, why should I?

I took you out because I've always been amused by stupidity and you get the blue ribbon in that department.

If making friends means agreeing with an asshole then no, I'm not interested in making you my friend. Please note that, like you, it was Edwin (what a name) that was offensive first. Anything after that is self defense.

I frequented this board several years ago and it wasn't populated with shitheads then. Times change. For the most part there are still many generous people here that just want to help out, you are not included in that group.

I did read about 20 or 30 of your responses and none of them offered help. Most of them were poor attempts at comedy. You're pathetic.

Reply to
Ed

Ed!

I was wondering when you would crawl out!

You said you plonked me. Thats twice now.

I think in truth, you really love me.

Well, I love you to!

Hugs, Matt

Reply to
Matt

"Matt" wrote

It was to read you, Matt. The dumbest bastard I ever ran across. You make me smile.

Easy fella, I'm married.

Reply to
Ed

Read me? Aw, thats so cute!

Hugs, Matt

Reply to
Matt

Why not answer the question instead of spewing?

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

You seem to be getting a lot of crap without having done anything to deserve it. I would put soapy water on your fittings to test them, but if you were careful they are probably ok.

As for the cost, if you know how to do anything in plumbing, you will save a bundle doing it yourself. I've heard of people that can't do anything and always have a plumber fix any problem including putting a new washer in tap. Doing that yourself will take less than 10 minutes and a 25 cent washer. Like you, I'm not criticizing the cost of a home call by a plumber, just pointing out that the cost is enormous compared to what a homeowner would pay if the homeowner does it. The same, of course, applies to electrical and mechanical repairs. Or, for example 15 minutes to replace a $4 gas filter on a vehicle instead of paying $25 plus a $15 charger for the filter at a dealership. My time has never been worth $200 or so per hour, but for some that is peanuts so they never do their own repairs.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Thats Easy.

He doesnt know the answer.