Anyone use exotic media in their pool's sand filter?

Now that I refurbished all my valves I figure I may as well change the sand in the filter. It's been awhile; 4 or 5 years.

I know sand filters are inefficient and there are supposedly "better" media but, it seems some have draw backs.

"Zeobrite" has mixed reviews, but with all the variables involved with sand filters, I don't know if they are expecting miracles or the media is over-hyped. Compared to common PFS it's pretty pricey.

TIA

Reply to
gonjah

I can't tell you about sand filter alternative experience, but I had a recent thread about using alternatives with a DE filter. That one, Fiber Clear, also works with sand filters. So far, I'm not impressed. You can read that thread about some of the disadvantages I found.

Doing a bit of googling, I think a lot of this alternative stuff is based on hype. Like that the FC stuff will remove smaller particles than a DE. But do you really need that? This pool has been fine with DE. Another aspect seems to be scare tactics. The FC people talk about the "hazards" of DE. I see people posting online that DE causes cancer, etc. The average person hears that and thinks DE is gonna kill them when they go swimming and that they should use a safe alternative. There is also BS about DE somehow being dangerous for the environment? Or a problem to deal with? I backwash on the lawn and it just disappears. So, people buy the more expensive stuff. AFAIK, the only possible hazard with DE is if you're dumb enough to breathe in the dust while pouring it in the skimmer. It's kind of like sand can kill you too, if you're dumb enough to do sandblasting with it and breathe it in.....

As far as the cost of the alternatives, you have to look at how they get used. I thought the FC was a lot more expensive than DE. But then I realized it's not a 1:1 replacement, less of the FC is used. I think with a sand filter you just add some FC to top it off and supplement the sand filter.

And again with some googling I found people who say FC was great. I found some who said it made no difference. I found some that ran into problems, like the pressure going way up and damaging their filters. That may be from misuse, but then again, it wouldn't have happened if they stuck with DE.....

I'm sure if you google with the various alternatives plug "sand filter" you'll find some experiences.

Reply to
trader4

In news:kpktin$fgp$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, gonjah belched:

I've had regular sand in my filter for 22 years and changed it once when I replaced the filter

Reply to
ChairMan

I've heard stories of sand filters that have never had the sand changed.

Probably has a lot to do with how much the pool is used, area and maintenance.

We get a lot of tree type garbage and rain in our pool. The chemicals can be difficult to keep in balance, particularly now that I'm working full-time. Damn job. ;)

The sand that's in there is pretty new but I'm looking for alternatives. If I had plenty to spend I'd go for a different filter system and possibly convert to a salt water pool.

Reply to
gonjah

Do you live by the ocean or gulf, or would you have to buy a lifetime supply of Morton's salt?

Reply to
hrhofmann

my grandkids use mine everyday from the end of May till September

My experience has been, eliminate the phosphates and the job is much easier

Salt can be tough to maintain or at least thats what my SIL tells me I've never dealt with one, but I use to fight mine(sand) all the time until I started using a phosphate remover. I stop using chemicals in October and use just the remover through the winter, then get things balanced again in the spring.

Reply to
ChairMan