Anyone under 60 and healthy?

Yes, medicine is still very much an art as well as a science. Accurately predicting any individual patient's clinical course, especially in the case of chronic illness, is usually impossible. Glad to hear that you're outliving medical predictions and are still ornery. That personality type seems to experience (I won't say "enjoy") greater longevity.
As an aside, and I won't pry (your medical circumstances are not appropriate for discussion in a public group), but I have trouble reconciling being enrolled in hospice with wearing an AED. Please don't address this as it would really violate your medical privacy. Just my own observation.

IMO one cause for misunderstanding is the medical profession's (perhaps unconscious) cultivation of a public aura of infallibly; I.e. the "..doctor knows best.." aura. I'm guessing that medical pros are taught early to project a mystique of confidence and certainty so as to reassure the patient and family that all is under control. And that is certainly worthwhile. But I do believe it leads to disappointment when reality sets in.
On 2/4/2014 8:39 AM, CRNG wrote:

Much less a factor these days than in the past. More a factor recently is the pressure placed on physicians by their patients to conform to their "requests" which are often couched more in terms of threats. They see an ad on TV or in a magazine, or in a blog, and they want that same Rx. The threat, sometimes overt, sometimes implied is that without getting what they want, they'll (a) leave your practice and bad mouth you to all their friends and family, (b) find a lawyer who agrees to file a trumped up lawsuit against you, (c) file a complaint with your State's board of discipline and/or licensing office, or (d) a combination of some or all of the above. It's usually faster and easier to placate the patient and just given them the Rx. So the motivation is usually not greed, it's intimidation!
In sum, it's a very complicated situation. One of the great joys of military medicine (yes, it IS "socialized medicine"), is that physicians don't have a profit motive associated with any patient management decision, and the Feres doctrine (look it up if you don't know what it is) insulates from the pressure to practice defensive medicine. You can concentrate on providing the best possible care for each patient.

Yes, I should have mentioned that I do see less of it than fifty years ago.

Glad you mentioned that. IMO the "big pharma" move into public advertising was one of the worst things to happen to medical care vis-a-vis development of unrealistic patient expectations. I seem to recall reading somewhere that big pharma mounted a successful lobbying effort with the Feds to make that happen, but I don't know if that is accurate.

I'll bet that does a lot to take the satisfaction out of medical practice.

    OK, I can vouch for that. Plus in Brazil there is no "insurance or lawyer industry". They tried to implant it back in dark old days, but were kicked all the way back to their headquarters in the USA.     And since I was on a salary, a patient telling me he would seek another doctor if I would not ask for an unnecessary X-Ray would be greeted with a warm smile......     []'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
On 2/4/2014 8:39 AM, CRNG wrote:

One friend of mine describes the WCG syndrome, White Coated God. That's when the MD think's s/he is infallible.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

The Pope died and went to heaven. He tried to butt in line at the Pearly Gates and was told to wait his turn. He mentioned who he was and that was God's Representative on earth. St. Peter said "That's nice but up here everyone is equal." A few days later, the Pope was standing in line at the Heaven Cafeteria and this guy with wild white hair, long beard and flowing robes came in, but in line, got his stuff and left. The Pope ran into St. Peter and gave his account of what happened and reminded St. P about the lecture on all being equal. St. Peter sighed deeply, shook his head sadly and said "That's just God. He thinks He's a Doctor."
but what they conceal is vital.
On Tue, 04 Feb 2014 09:08:19 -0500, Stormin Mormon

    You should see the GTP's (Google Trained Patients). They always have far more experience than we do....     Doctors don't think they are doGs, because most don't believe doGs even exist. Avoid any that do. They are just trying to blame someone else for their incompetence.     []'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012

    We have to convince patients to take medicine even if we know that the chances of recovery are low. As long as side effects are not worse than whatever affects them. Sometimes we have to lie to achieve that. On the other hand, it would be criminal to use that trust to flog medicine for kick-backs.     Medicine is all about probabilities. The more you study and know, the higher the chance of getting it right. But only a charlatan promises success. Each and every patient is unique.     []'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012

Don;t know the particulars, but had a bud who "timed out" of hospice, but was picked by home healthcare. Same company, same staff, just a different pot of money. Is this available?
but what they conceal is vital.
On 2/4/2014 5:52 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

No idea. Best source of information is probably a competent local patient care ombudsman or social worker who is familiar with the specific laws of the jurisdiction involved and the license provisions and restrictions of the specific company.
On 2/4/2014 4:52 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

I'm disabled but not in a wheelchair so I can drive. As soon as I get my vehicle fixed, I'll be driving to my primary care clinic as designated by Medicaid. I need wound care for damage caused to my legs by venous stasis and if that helps, I won't need to go to a pain clinic which is great because I hate taking drugs. I want to get some T-shirts printed which have "I'm Disabled Not Drunk!" because I've been getting the eye from cops when they see me walking and I've had folks running cash registers and the managers at some retail stores who've thought I was intoxicated. o_O
TDD
On 02/03/2014 02:44 PM, Peter wrote:

Most people go straight to BlubberKing after visiting their doctor and order a slab of fat and sugar on a bun, a pound of fries and wash it down with a 64 oz Croke-a-cola. Then they go to their pharmacy.
Most are unwilling to change their diet or read this book:
http://smile.amazon.com/The-China-Study-Comprehensive-Implications/dp/1932100660
On 2/4/2014 4:59 AM, Bubba wrote:

I saw a guy one time, leaving the dental clinic. After a tooth extraction. They told him to keep pressure on for so long, and no smoking for some ammount of time. He got out the front door, spit out the gauze, and lit up. I don't know the follow up, but he probably had a lot of post op complications which he blamed on the dentist.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 2/4/2014 4:59 AM, Bubba wrote:

You put it a little cynically, but it's true that too many patients think that taking meds for a chronic condition insulates them from the harmful effects of any of their bad habits that have contributed to their disease.
Peter wrote:

Hi, Actually there was an article recently about heart attack survivors. Worrisome trend is after they survive they go right back to the life style which caused the problem. No change in life style re: diet, exercise, etc. meaning they will likely get second heart attack.
Bubba wrote:

Hi, MY daughter once mentioned about patient after going home from hospital stay. Right away soon after they come back with same problem over and over. Like a professional patient. She said she doesn't feel like helping him really but as a doctor she is obliged to. She is staff at local medical school where she graduated.

Who are these "most" people? Your inbred relatives?
Life is a journey, not a destination. Well, yes, there is one inevitable inescapable destination, and we all get there, no matter what condition the factory container is in.
But I far far respect and admire people who live their lives every day living, laughing, playing with their grandkids, helping others, giving, being kind, being positive, and generally wear themselves to a worn nub rather than those who lay there in the casket as people walk by and say, "My, she looks nice. Not even as old as her age. Didn't she have a very nice diet? And her organic garden was to die for."
Pooey. Looks as fake as those bubbas who spend $100,000 on jacked up 4 x 4 trucks, and never put them in 4wd, and cry and wail because of brush streaks. It's all about looks, dontcha know.
So, all you fraidy cats, crawl back to your closets stocked up with wheat thins and miracle liquid, and enjoy some more of that long long life. As for me, it's 99 cent day at McD's, and big macs are 99 cents. Two of those, and an endlessly refillable senior drink ............
I wonder if heaven is like that ..............
Waddya think, you hit sixty, and start to reverse? Get healthier?
Steve
SteveB wrote:

Hi, If that is the case for you you may be one exception or one of a kind. Or you are just kidding. I am just ordinary trying my best in life. When St Paul asks password at the destination gate, my answer? "I tried my best" Honestly we hardly ever set a foot at McD. We hardly consume red meat. We and our kids grew up that way.
On 2/4/2014 3:59 AM, Bubba wrote:

I stopped drinking sugared soft drinks and sugar sweetened ice tea then lost 100lbs. There is a local burger chain which serves wonderful French fries which I really like but I would go into the restaurant and just get one or two burgers without ordering fries. I lost more weight. It's all about the sugar and carbohydrates. ^_^
TDD