Anyone tried to put plastic glazing outside on divided light windows

Some years ago the local "big city" remodeled the town library which started life as a school building nearly 100 years ago.
"They" added plastic glazing to the existing windows.
I have a rental town house with 13 double hung divided light wood frame windows which are about 35 years old.
"Someday" we plan to replace them all with "modern" windows but I wonder whether $10 of that thin plastic glazing (not a film but only about 1/16" thick) would "work."
The place has central air so while it is necessary they "operate" for safety reasons, they would not routinely be opened for ventilation.
Any thoughts?
Anyone actually done something like this?
Any comments appreciated.
I would think that silicone caulk would outlast the others as it has a life of about twenty years/
--
Have a Great Week !

Check Winter Haven\'s Current Weather