Anyone store firewod in a basement?

Page 2 of 2
Tom Quackenbush wrote:

So by the moisture table it looks like my recollection is way wrong.
Harry K
I don't recommend it- firewood is filled with tiny insects, like ants, termites, etc.- and they come out of the wood and infest your house
keep it just outside your door, and bring in only enough to fire your stove for a day at a time
Termites and ants just outside your door can't find their way through the door?
On 9 Nov 2005 07:45:06 -0800, "UNIVERSAL MIND"

Not if your house is constructed properly.
Mike
if you bring them in yourself, they don't have to find their way in- they ARE in
Don't you need to bring in the queen termite for it to be dangerous? Just a few of the workers will die off eventually and not be a problem.
Chances are you would see a whole nest in a piece of wood, when you were splitting and sawing the wood, no?
First, cover the wood outside- top and a bit of sides. Keep water out.
Carpenter ants attack relatively wet wood, or die, once brought in. I've never seen termites in firewood, ever, in NE USA. Spiders, however will survive the trip into the house; if they're a problem, wear gloves, and remove them outside. Watch out for Brown Recluse.
Stacking wood inside, where it would receive some heat radiated by the appliance, does 2 other good things- dries the wood some so it burns better, and humidifies the house some, which is a real good thing in Jan.
Moisture content of wood is affected by temp and RH of storage area. The higher temp indoors will help keep the % moisture in the wood down.
Dehumidifier would not seem advisable.

I was splitting some old firewood the other day that was just filled with termites.
Bob
Our street was lined at the curb with flowering plum trees that had some limbs falling off due to termite infestation while still living. City FINALLY removed them.

I bring about a weeks worth inside and burn it...no bug problems yet. the rest is outside, covered.