Anyone store firewod in a basement?

if you bring them in yourself, they don't have to find their way in- they ARE in

Reply to
UNIVERSAL MIND

Don't you need to bring in the queen termite for it to be dangerous? Just a few of the workers will die off eventually and not be a problem.

Chances are you would see a whole nest in a piece of wood, when you were splitting and sawing the wood, no?

Reply to
dean

No, it does not work that way one is relative humidity, the other term is the actual percentage of the wood. Air dried lumber will get down to about

12%, kiln dried down to about 7%. Cut a piece of wood from a tree and weigh it. Then put it on a scale over time to see what happens and there will be a lot of loss of moisture. The rule of thumb for drying lumber is one year per inch of thickness. Same concept with firewood, the more exposure, the faster it dries.
Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Yeah if you look into moisture in wood, there is a lot of liquid water, which accounts for most of the total water content. Its spunged up inside the cells. This all dries up completely, irrespective of outside humidity levels, although it may be slowed by high relative humidiy.

There is also the vapor part of water in wood, and that does decrease with decreasing relative humity, but its only a small part of the total water content of the wood.

Its not quite that simple, as there are hygroscopic chemicals in the wood that do naturally absorb water to a certain equilibrium, but you get the jist of the argument (I hope).

Dean

Reply to
dean

Well I won't bother to look for it (might some day) but do -you- have a source other than your personal opinion?

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Harry, Nick is right. There is liquid water within wood, and that will ALL evaporate unless the outside humidity is 100%. The dryer it is outside, the faster it will evaporate. Once all the liquid part is gone from within the cells, the vapor part in the wood will form an equilibrium with the outside air, but that's not a big part of the water content of wood.

Dean

Reply to
dean

Much as I dread getting into that back closet I guess I will have to dig and try to find it. I would not be surprised to find my recollection of something over 30 years ago is wrong.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Table 3-4 shows the relationship between temperature, relative humidity and wood moisture content.

R, Tom Q.

Reply to
Tom Quackenbush

I bring about a weeks worth inside and burn it...no bug problems yet. the rest is outside, covered.

Reply to
Jon

So by the moisture table it looks like my recollection is way wrong.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K