Anyone playing with their Kill - A - Watt meter

Page 2 of 2
CJT wrote:

For sure, numbers don't lie. One can rationalize whatever they like but real data shows something a lot different.

I shut mine down nightly;electrolytic caps in the power supply and motherboard eventually degrade,their ESRs rise and put more strain on the PS until something fails. also,the bearings in the cooling fans wear out. This PC I'm using had the microprocessor fan load the PS to where it would not start. A surplus fan from Skycraft cured that for $8.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

frequent shutdowns lead to hard drive failures..........

Have you HAD the same PC for 15 years?? No.

Hard drives wear out bearings,too. and if your PC is "ON",any power loss harms the data on the HDs,damages the disc surfaces when the head crashes on them.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

IBM did a study on this many years ago when the 3.5" drives were becoming the standard. They decided a power down/up cycle was worth about 8 hours of running time based on available failure data.
Most hard drives fail because of electronics on the card or in the enclosure. In fact when we had a lot of AS/400s that lost all the data in the whole drive array when one drive failed, they made the drive electronics card available as a service part and most drives came back to life when we replaced it.
Heads don't really "crash" in PC drives, they land on the data surface when you lose power and all drives since the late 80s autopark in the landing zone as soon as you lose 5v, long before the drive actually stops spinning. Way back in the olden days drives loaded and unloaded the heads so they were not touchuing the disk when it stopped. They also had hydraulic head actuators in those days and the drives were the size of a washing machine.

Funny; I haven't yet noticed anyone discovering that by default or by power settings, most machines shut down the monitor, disk drives, etc.; everyone assumes everything is actually running 24/7. Anyone with a decent UPS can easily see what they're using for running power; the specs usually give the rest.
Lots of "assumers" and "me too" ers here today. Guessers, in other words, trying to sound like know it alls.
IT's just too obvious a thing to be able to figure out for most any thinking person.
--

Closed minds close doors

On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 18:32:47 GMT, "Twayne"

It is pretty clear you want us to think you have all the answers, but you didn't share any with the group.
Thanks
for nothing.
Jim Yanik wrote:

How in the world did you find that?
--
God help us all.
Because we\'re down to PIAPS, B. Hussein or McStain,

swapped out power supply,still had problem. replaced a couple of high ESR caps on the motherboard,still had problem.Left off fan cable while messing with PC,problem went away. Got new fan from Skycraft,end of problem.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Redelfs wrote:

Actually some might think that people who suggest leaving things on is OK for whatever reason can't see the forest for the trees. What if someone removed the clothes and turned off the computer?
Instead of just making up assertions like that think about what you wrote. Can I suggest that either this hypothetical dryer would be using monumental amounts of energy or the computer consumes the power of a single LED for your assertion to be accurate. Gather some empirical data and try to verify your assertion. Data I have collected shows that a minimally used typical computer uses the same amount of energy in 15 hours as used by an electric dryer used to dry a typical load.

I was working on a dryer yesterday (GE) and I had my clamp on ammeter on the leads watching the load. The motor side pulls a tad over 25a and the heat only side pulls 22 and change (when the heater is on). When the heat cycles off you only have the 3 and change on the motor side. The heat is not on for the whole drying cycle. In fact, when it is in "automatic dry" the timer only runs when the heat is off. The thermostat is in the exhaust air stack and when the clothes are wet the air is too cool to make the stat. My PC, flat monitor ethernet switch, KVM switch, external modem, speakers, DSL modem, RF transmitter, ink jet printer and scanner pull between 1.5 and 1.85a depending on what I am doing.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Exactly, someone trying to rationalize something can really come to a bogus conclusion without considering actual data. Excluding space conditioning most household electrical energy consumption (and waste) comes from the small things not the high wattage devices such as a dryer or toaster. As they say slow and steady wins the race and it is very true for the energy consumption race.