Anyone playing with their Kill - A - Watt meter

Page 1 of 2
How about doing a test on how much your computer is drawing.
I am guessing the hottest setup uses less than 200Watts most of the time.

in the winter the waste heat helps warm your home..........
In article

Agreed.
I was amused to read the MagicJack thread where a couple of posters lamented that it required leaving on the computer 24/7 - in this day and age of rising utility costs! Horrors!
I haven't regularly shut down my computers for >15 years.
In my previous, electrically heated home, there were six, 100-watt incandescent lamps illuminating the play room in the unfinished basement directly beneath the living room upstairs.
I never chased after the kids, nagging them to turn off these lights EXCEPT when it was COOLING season. The light bulbs made GREAT heaters (with some incidental, "waste" light) that kept the living room floor nice and warm.
People that believe a running, but unused computer is particularly wasteful can't see the forest for the trees. More than the equivalent power consumption can be offset by removing one load of clothes from the dryer AS SOON as they are dry rather than letting the machine's timer run to the end. Hanging-out ONE load of laundry on a clothes line, rather than use a dryer, will save more energy than is used by the idle running of a computer in its lifetime.
--
:)
JR

No project too small

another one is spending megabucks on a tankless water heater to prevent standby losses, while all during the heating season the standby losses help heat the home.
or spending thousands on a front load washer dryer pair......
the added cost of the unit, will never save money during the average life of the machines. worse the machines are less reliable and cost much more to repair

That depends on where the water heater is located;if it's out in your garage,it's NOT heating your house. ("megabucks"???)
and during the summer,if indoors,the tank-WH puts a higher load on the air conditioning.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Nonsense. A front-loader wrings out the water from the clothes much more, leading to less drying time. In the winter, a clothes dryer takes warm air from inside the house and dumps it outside. The less time it runs, the better. So a front-loader saves you money there.
More importantly, a top-loader is a primitive form of "washing" clothes, involving flapping an agitator in soapy water, and in the end wearing clothes with half the wash detergent in them still. A front- loader actually washes clothes. This is why the $4 machine at the laundromat is a front-loader.

Nonsense. The early US-made front-loaders had problems, they were beta- testing at the time. The Asian- and Europe-made ones did not, and the current US ones are fine too.

you can buy a decent laundry pair washer and dryer for 500 bucks.
a front load pair probably 3 times that. so to ever save any money the first thing you must do is save a grand on energy water etc.
that takes awhile and a friend who fixes appliances for a living and owns the business says by the time you get near payback something will fail on the machine.
maytags use a drum with intergrated bearing, cant just replace the bearing need a whole drum assembly, over 300 bucks.
of course it kinda depends on utility costs in your area.
and dont forget the extra grand cost could of been invested elsewhere

I addressed that in my posting, I said you dump less of your home's heated air outside because you run the dryer less. In any event, the biggest difference is that a front-loader just does a far better job on the clothes. If you want a worse wash, you can save a lot of money by just not washing clothes.

Does he count the extended lifetime of the clothes because of less mutilation in the washer, and complete extraction of detergent?

So what? Do they fail more? A $1000 washer is going to have better parts quality than the $500 pair special. A lot of front-loaders are direct drive (no transmission). Less parts to fail.

obviously you bought a front loader, so did my dad. hope it works great for you.
but when its going to cost half the price oif the machine for a couple parts you can remember this discussion as it goes to the landfill..........

What kind of an argument is that? I listed some areas where a front- loader is qualitatively superior to a top-loader. Do you dispute any of those?

Any parts these days cost an arm and a leg. They used to make that argument for American vs Japanese cars, and these days you have to empty a checking account before you buy parts for anything. As front- loaders as becoming common, the economics of scale will drop the price of parts. Already the most prominent displays in Kmart, HD, BB, etc. are the front-loaders.

they are the most prominent becuse they cost more so theres more profit in selling them............
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

ignore the successful designs used in other countries when they introduced their units here. They made lots of mistakes and were essentially selling beta product. Maytag was most notable for this.

Took mine to scrap steel receycler
On Sat, 9 Feb 2008 10:53:12 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

You persist in perpetuating this lie, so I feel compelled to remind you that people can buy front-loader washer/dryer pairs for $700-800 (as I did). Less than half of what you are claiming, in other words. You clearly have no interest in changing your energy wasting habits, but please don't try to stop those of us who wish to make the world a better place.

That what happened to my front loader..... main bearing and seal failed
Couldn't just replace the seal and bearing.... had to replace entire inner tub

Can you prove any of these statements or are you just talking off your .. ehm mouth? A washer dryer combo forces you to serialize those activities, which is enough for me to dismiss that nonsense ( i am using one of your favorite words, see?)

This depends on if the front loader LASTS long enough to recoup that premium cost
Nine did NOT. Wore out after 7 years and couldn't be fixed with spending $400

Gas tank water heaters loose most of their heat up the chimney.

true thats the case with ALL GAS HEATERS, although its not most heat, since none are less than 50% efficent.
but combustion by products must go somewhere.
sure electric heaters are more efficent, and lack exhaust waste but the electric costs so much more, gas is more cost effective
Jim Redelfs wrote:
<snip>

Not likely. A computer running 24/7 will use $100-$200 per year of electricity. If one load of wash cost that much to dry, we'd have heard about it.