Anyone own the 'Portable' air conditioning units?

I'd like to hear from anyone that owns one of the portable air conditioning units. It's the type that is usually on wheels, can be moved from room to room and vents out a window via a flexible hose.

How well do they work? Are they loud? Thinking about getting one in the

12000btu size. There are several brands out there and don't know much about them.

TIA, PHIL

Reply to
YesMan

In 1995 I bought one 4,000 BTU per hour Toyotomi Portable room air conditioner from page 31 of the Damark March 9, 1995 catalog, Item number B 64331 416827 for $549.99

I used it in my "home office" by venting the hot air out a fireplace chimney [the two small double hung windows in the room were both stuffed with window air conditioning units]. I ran it mostly for the dehumidifying effect.

No problems noted. Now that I have retired I don't bother air conditioning the home office since I can leave if it gets too hot or humid.

This class of machine has got a lot cheaper than it was when I bought mine.

Reply to
JohnB

conditioning

Reply to
Curmudgeon

conditioning

Hi Phil, I too was looking for an answer regarding these interesting units...I need something that I can from time to time use in the garage(of which I am having insulated like the house), or maybe on the sunporch...One thing I did find the Sunpentown WA-1210H looked very promising compared to others..It uses heat pump technology for heating and is 12K BTU both ways and has an EER rating of more than 12. It looks pretty nice for temporary or intermittant use (ours for garage use so noise is not an issue) and they seem to be affordable..On my posting, some mentioned cutting into the house HVAC or putting in a wall unit, I don't want to do that as the unit won't be needed that often and also wall/window units are not allowed by our restrictions....I know everyone recommends them but seems like they are not an option for either of us..I found the above unit for about 519.00 including shipping and they appeared to have it in stock... John

Reply to
John

I can tell you don't buy a DeLonghi - we bought one of their portable A/C units for the office computer room a couple years ago. PAC12 was the model number, IIRC. DeLonghi claims "fine italian design", but the unit came new with an annoying rattle/compressor vibration. The fit and finish on the swinging front door panel was poor. After a couple months of stacking books on top of it to silence the rattle, I had enough and looked for a place to get it serviced in-warranty. DeLonghi referred me to a couple nearby places that when called said they do *not* service their A/C units, only the other appliances. After more calls, I found a DeLonghi authorized repair place

100 miles away that would fix it. I had to pay on my own dime to ship this beast, and wait about 3 weeks. DeLonghi warranty coverage will only pay about $12 for shipping which is a joke on an approx 80-100 lb A/C unit. The whole experience was a complete fiasco.

When it did come back, the rattle was better but not completely eliminated. I would *not* want to sleep next to this in a bedroom, it would be totally unacceptable.

-- Paul

conditioning

Reply to
Paul

Not sure if I should be top-posting here, but since you have done earlier in here Paul, I will follow suit. (Being new, I'm not yet sure of the rules, so to speak).

I have just posted under the topic: "Dehumidifier - Not your typical question" to say that I use a portable air-conditioner. As it happens, mine is a De Longhi, and I have had no problem with it. I know though that different people can have different experiences with the same brand. Mine does make some noise, but never enough to keep me awake, and I've always used it in the bedroom. I've had mine for about five years. It is really too big for my bedroom. I think it is a one horsepower unit, but I feel the heat **so** much, that I need every bit of that. In summer, I have it literally standing at the foot of my bed, directly on me. So far so good. I'll just have to wait to see how much longer it holds up, and whether the outlet hose, being plastic, is replaceable when I come to need a replacement.

I'm sorry that you've had such a terrible experience with yours.

For now,

avril

portable A/C

was the model