anyone own a 3-D Printer ?

it seems like these 3d printers could be a household item "someday" but the cost will probably have to come down...
what useful, everyday things can you make with these?
marc

Not "everyday", but my son is working with the software that builds stuff on 3D printer....works for an orthopedic co. and the actual printer is a bit fancier than consumer variety. This one lays down "threads" of titanium, followed by a laser that melts the metal in place. When the gizmo is "printed", I believe it is machined afterward to make joint replacement parts.
On Tuesday, July 30, 2013 12:07:35 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

You can make your own 3D printer...here are just a few example links.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Build-a-Laser-3D-Printer-Stereolithography-at-Ho/
http://www.instructables.com/id/Eventorbot-Open-source-3D-printer-Free-plans/
http://www.instructables.com/id/Combination-CNC-Machine-and-3D-Printer/
Oren wrote:

Current inexpensive consumer level 3D printers can only make somewhat rough plastic items and only certain forms. More expensive printers have the capability of printing a second material that can be dissolved or melted away as a "scaffolding" to support overhanging parts and provide the capability of printing any shape. Ultimately though you still get a somewhat rough plastic part.
High end 3D printers are printing metals, ceramics and a host of other materials that are able to produce much more useable parts at high cost, but still a lot lower cost than other methods of producing the same parts.
We are a long, long way from seeing any sort of household 3D printer that can produce anything more useful than iPhone cases, bracelets and the occasional plastic gear, all of which can be bought in high quality injection molded versions for low cost.
On Tuesday, July 30, 2013 11:07:35 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Yeah, my dentist has used one of those gizmos for 2 crowns for me, fitted perfectly the first time they were put in. Fun to watch the process.
On Tue, 30 Jul 2013 11:28:59 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net"

What does a crown cost?
3D printers are ahead of their time.
Where I see them coming of age is when 3D printing technology marries nano technology so that 3D printers of the future might be used to print out a 8 1/2 X 11 inch sheet of carbon atoms. (A "Bucky-sheet", if you will.)
And, that will change everything. Monotomic layers of carbon atoms (called "graphene") conduct electricity with very much less resistance than metals, including silicon. Consequently, that makes it possible to produce very much smaller circuits that work much faster on much less electricity without producing nearly as much heat. Even now, the fastest computers need to have cooling fans cooling them all of the time because of the heat the current through their circuits produces. Being able to print graphene lines just like we can optically print traces on silicone wafers will provide the technology for the next generation of electronics. Whatever comes after "integrated circuits" or "chips".
But, I expect it's the lowly 3D printer that will pioneer the technology to print a Bucky-sheet.
--
nestork

On Wed, 31 Jul 2013 02:41:03 +0200, nestork

It's really a great thing to think about. I guess someone is already working on Digital Rights Management to limit copying of programs/templates to print various types of objects.

Someone told me the reason there are no output jacks on TVs that stream from the Net (except for outputs to speakers) is to avoid copyright infringement.
Do you think that is true?
Why would the manufacturers care about someone else's copyrights?
And have TVs ever had output jacks, like VCRs and DVDRs with tuners do?
(I want output jacks to run the signals to the other rooms, instead of having to buy 5 smart/streaming TVs. )

Unless you are planning to use a 3D printer to create your 5 other TV's, why are you asking that question in this thread?
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://www.piaohong.tk/newsgroup

Because of what the previous poster said.
On Tue, 30 Jul 2013 09:07:35 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I don't have a 3D printer, but I have 3D glasses. They make the world look wonderful.