Anyone moved to LED Lighting?

Page 3 of 16

Not according to testing labs that have made lumen mesurements. Are you including the inverters or other lossy type gadgets to accomodate different types of bulbs? Have you actually measured the "equivalent" light output or does it just look about the same? Brilliance is a logarithmic scale and can be very deceiving to the human eye.
Trouble with the lab measurements is they are not usually dated when completed and the technology advances quite rapidly.

No inverters or "lossy gadgets" involved, other than what is built into the base of the lamps. The draw measured includes any and all parts of the assembly.

Measured. Nav lights have to meet strict legal requirements and be certified.

You really can't stand being wrong, can you?

Sorry that you have such a hard time with reality.

snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

LEDs are considerably more efficient than ordinary incandescents, but they are still less efficient than CFLs. Many of the fixtures you'd be using on a boat benefit from the directionality of LEDs, which is another reason they perform better.

Tell that to my 360 degree LED anchor light at the top of the mast which is brighter and can be seen farther than the incandescent it replaced, and uses 1/10th the power.
All nav lights have to cover specified arcs of visibility. The directional nature of LED's is actually a disadvantage for boats that had to be overcome, which is done by using arrays of smaller LED's
They now have LED's that produce as much as 200 lumens per watt.
Compare that to a CFL. :-)
in part:

Can you tell me where I can buy an LED exceeding 150 lumens/watt?
(I have ones claiming 150 lumens/watt - Nichia NSPWR70CSS at 20 mA drive current, 8.7 lumens at .058 watt, 5000 K color temp. with color rendering index appearing to me to be in the mid or maybe low 60's.)

There are now white LEDs more efficient than CFLs - but this level of efficiency is largely limited to cool white ones without high color rendering index, or to laboratory prototypes.
Nav lights involve colored lights, and LEDs have an extra advantage there from the fact that there are efficient LEDs specializing in producing one color or another of light. Incandescent red and green nav lights have filters that remove something like 70% of the light.
Apparently you don't understand the scale used for illumination by your silly comment used to attempt to disguise it. I will assume the rest is bullshit then too, for now.

"Josepi" wrote:

There's a lot of that going around these days. :^)
--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

More appropriately, your most intelligent argument should have been
"Say Watt?"

"Josepi" wrote:

Heh, heh, heh... :^)
The electronics used to control my SMD GU10 LEDS seem to consist of a couple of capacitors and other small SMD components. They certainly do not have the inductors and other complex electronics used to strike the CFLs.

John Perry
http://www.redoak.co.uk
Josepi wrote:

I know my LED flashlight can run for hours and hours, while the incandescent flashlight burns through batteries quickly while providing less light.
Sadly, wasn't Lary this time. Though, he must be a hoot in real life, whoever it is that plays Larry the cable guy.
I had some trouble with my cable recentl. I called for a tech to come out, and Dennis was the one who arried. Tall guy in his twenties, seems to know hs stuff. As he looked to find the power plug, he pulled a three D-cell Mag out of his back pocket, with a practiced motion.
I noticed it was a LED bulb mag. Asked about that, and he told me a little about it. Formerly was a filament bub mag, and he bought the LED bulb only, and put that in. He said it's a lot better on batteries. I asked about that, and this is what he told me.
One time he was in a crawl space, and forgot and left it in the crawl space. Turned on. It was the wekend, and he was able to get back to recover his light, three days later. The light was still on, having run for three days all the time. he says he was able to use it for about a week after that, on the same batteries, before having to replace the batteries.
I'm totally amazed. He sounded like he was telling the truth. Wow! That's a long time on one set of batteries.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Just think...when they perfect LEDs for headlights...we won't have to yell at the wife for draining down the battery!
bob_v
That, or timer. Five minutes afer the key is turned off. That kind of thing.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I have around 32 LED's on my M109R motorcycle. Once I pulled into the driveway and forgot to turn them off. After 2 days I went out to start the bike at night and noticed the LED's were on. When I turned the key and pushed the button the bike started up immediately. Nice.
Regards, Robert L Bass
www.BassBurglarAlarms.com www.BassHome.com
On Tue, 1 Dec 2009 19:43:28 -0800 (PST), Robert L Bass

I've got a real assortment of small LED flashlights, and a couple big ones. GREAT battery life. For home lighting they are still pretty pricy, but with incandescents being phased out, and the LOUSY luck I've had with CFLs, it sure is tempting!!!!!
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

The New York Times had an article earlier this week about a study (from a manufacturer) that indicates both CFL & LED lights use about 20% of the lifetime energy used by incandescents. That includes manufacturing and transport costs.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/30/business/energy-environment/30led.html?scp=1&sq=led%20osram&st=cse
I don't no whether that reflects the high early failure rate for CFLs nor do I know whether mass production of LED lighting may lead to the same types of early failures which could severely skew the results.
Hmmm, I guess early failure actually means the CFLs use even less lifetime energy. ;-)
Today's NYT has an article about a new LED lighting design from Britain that addresses some outstanding problems with LEDs.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/08/business/global/08iht-rboglum.html
Their bulb is 70% more efficient than traditional bulbs (which is about the same as CFLs). Unlike most articles like this they give an overall picture saying that if every household in Britain were to switch, it would reduce the total annual British carbon footprint (of 500 million tons) by 1.2 million tons - a reduction of 1/4 of a percent.