Anyone moved to LED Lighting?

Page 2 of 16

I have had every brand made, I think. Sylvania,Phillips, GE, Globe, and a miriad of brands I have never seen before. I am not sure which ones had problems. I have had some DOA units too in 6-packs. I have had units that took 5 minutes to brighten so you could tell they were on when I lived on solar power, on cold days.
I sell old units to Jewish people for weddings. Nobody knows it isn't a wine glass breaking inside the bag...LOL
What brand are you buying? I've had a bunch of Sylvania and Feit CFLs burn out -- but I've had Sylvania incandescents that lasted only a day or less too.
Perce
Josepi wrote: I have never had a CFL burn out yet in several years of usage. Many have broken or came apart from the base and leaked.
Add pictures here
βœ–
I have had every brand made, I think. Sylvania,Phillips, GE, Globe, and a miriad of brands I have never seen before. I am not sure which ones had problems. I have had some DOA units too in 6-packs. I have had units that took 5 minutes to brighten so you could tell they were on when I lived on solar power, on cold days.
I sell old units to Jewish people for weddings. Nobody knows it isn't a wine glass breaking inside the bag...LOL
What brand are you buying? I've had a bunch of Sylvania and Feit CFLs burn out -- but I've had Sylvania incandescents that lasted only a day or less too.
Perce
Josepi wrote: I have never had a CFL burn out yet in several years of usage. Many have broken or came apart from the base and leaked.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Have you actually seen mercury leaked from a CFL? I doubt it - the quantity is very small.
Meanwhile, I have extensive CFL usage, and never broken or cracked one unless I dropped it. I have seen one CFL that cracked during use, among hundreds of burnouts that I have had a chance to see.
I have had a few come apart at the base during handling - like 2, with one additional having the tubing come loose from tubing end overheating while approaching burnout, with none of these 3 having the tubing break, while I have had more burnouts than that in my home since 1990. Both the ones that had their bases coming apart were dollar store stool specimens of usual dollar store brands.

βœ–
No. Mercury? I believe it was the vaccuum that leaked out...LOL
I agree that some may have been the dollar store crap but some were Phillips and Sylvania too. I suspect many are manufactured by the same factory.
I would bet some have cheap glue/adhesives used and are not good for the excessive heat when used in a ceiling mount. Incandescents used to be labelled this way (for mounting position) by some, years back.
Josepi wrote:
I have never had a CFL burn out yet in several years of usage. Many have broken or came apart from the base and leaked.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Robert Green wrote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/02/10/science/epa-raises-estimate-of-babies-affected-by-mercury-exposure.html
http://apps1.eere.energy.gov/buildings/publications/pdfs/ssl/matthews_chicago09.pdf
http://cfpub.epa.gov/eroe/index.cfm?fuseactionήtail.viewInd&lv=list.listByAlpha&r8248&subtop81
exposed to florescence bulbs. People with immune problems (arthritis or lupus or fibromyalgia) react badly to the CFL type bulbs. They emit ultra violet light like the sun does.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Cue Twilight Zone theme...
Add pictures here
βœ–
salty wrote:

Indeed. That one bent the needle on the bullshitometer.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Please, Bobby. The *statement* that CFL's cause exacerbate all of these ills was BS. There was no intent to attack the person who apparently believes it.

You owe the newsgroup an apology for trying tio turn this into a fight. Now stop it.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Interesting. Everything I have ever heard says the opposite about fluorescents, of the right colour.
How can UV from the sun affect these maladities? Sun exposure usually affects many maladities in a good way. Breast cancer is one that is statistically reduced, big time.
The flickering of fluorescents was always blamed for some problems but the sun doesn't flicker at 120Hz.

Add pictures here
βœ–

was that some medications make you more sensitive to UV radiation and thus more susceptible to sun burn. But I haven't seen anything in 25 years of nursing to support that as a problem outside the sun or tanning booths.
--
To find that place where the rats don\'t race
and the phones don\'t ring at all.

See my previous post about:
http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/122268881/abstract?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0
Many people have photodermatoses:
http://www.google.com/search?q=percent+of+the+population+with+photodermatoses
a quote in that article leads to:
http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/ja/ia.jsp?ia=AU2007%2F001276&IA=AU2007001276&DISPLAY ήSC
Which claims: "Polymorphous Light Eruption (PLE) or sun poisoning is a severe debilitating skin disorder with an incidence of 10-20% in the general population." It's also well known, as you've noted, that meds like fluoroquinones antibiotics and antidepressants like doxepin can seriously exacerbate any underlying skin condition.
I'm surprised a nurse would be unaware of the scope of this condition, but it's possible you've never run into a hospitalizable case.
No, wait. I apologize and take that back.
I discovered last week I have been pronouncing "hysteresis" wrong all my life.
It's entirely possible you've never seen a really bad case because people with severe photodermatoses don't get out much and for a good reason. There's just so much to know and learn in the modern world that I don't think any humans have a chance of knowing more that a little corner of it.
-- Bobby G.
Add pictures here
βœ–
After reading some of the reference materials supplied and some of the link that only result in garbage I have to conclude that Kurt stated things fairly validly
"But I haven't seen anything in 25 years of nursing to support that as a problem outside the sun or tanning booths."
CFL and fluorescent lamps do not emit high enough levels of UV to cause conditions similar to the UV levels of the sun, typically. If people could react to these low levels of UV emmision they would be dead in seconds of sun exposure. I believe your links would lead most researchers to conclude this quite frequently.
For fluorescnt bulbs to emit a lot of UV the coatings need to be changed from a usual visible lamp bulb.
OTOH: Here is an article focusing on macular degenration that identified a component of CFL lighting (and possibly LED lighting) that may be the cause of health problems for seniors due to spectral content. Off course this is only to occular influences and not at levels to affect skin chemistry.
http://www.international-light-association.eu/PDF/Artificial%20Light%20and%20Health%20PLDC07.pdf
wrote: How can UV from the sun affect these maladities? Sun exposure usually affects many maladities in a good way. Breast cancer is one that is statistically reduced, big time.
Add pictures here
βœ–

The problem is the drugs they want you to take for these autoimmune diseases. My doctor gave me a bottle of pills and I looked them up on the internet. The list of things you can't do (go out in the sun, have a beer, eat fatty foods) sounded like my planner so I decided the arthritis wasn't really that bad. A little physical therapy got me going again
Add pictures here
βœ–

βœ–
Josepi wrote:

Old/little knowledge is worse than lack of knowledge. How about vitamin D then? Auro immune disease did not happen over night. When it was coming with all kinds of signal/symptoms, I wonder what people did to prevent it.
Add pictures here
βœ–
"Tony Hwang" wrote:

Drive their autos less?
Add pictures here
βœ–
Chuck wrote:

I have arthritis, and my rheumatologist has never suggested that I avoid fluorescent lighting.
Nevertheless, I am trying to replace CFLs by LEDs -- but for the energy savings, not for anything related to health.
Perce
Add pictures here
βœ–
With the energy required to manufacture LED bulbs. And the cost of the bulbs. I doubt there is any real savings. Either to your wallet, or to the planet, by converting to LED light indoors.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Add pictures here
βœ–

Say WHAT?
I have replaced all of the incandescent lamps on my sailboat , including the navigation lights. The LED's use 1/10th the power for the same amount of light. That's not a random number - a typical light that drew 2 amps gets replaced by an LED that is a little brighter and draws slightly less than .2 amps.
On a cruising sailboat, you have to keep careful track of your electrical budget.
Add pictures here
βœ–