Anyone knowledgable about water filters?

I have two filter on the pipe coming from my well. A 10" narrow 20 micron filter and a 10" wide 5 micron filter. They probably don't help water flow much, but are necessary to get decent water.

At garage sales recently I bought a sand filter and a 20" narrow filter housing (it takes two 10" narrow filters). The sand filter flushes easily, and I have a lot of sand.

If I pulled the 10" narrow 20 micron filter and replaced it with the 20" narrow 20 micron filter and the sand filter would you expect my flow to go up? I am figuring the sand filter shouldn't change much except to keep the first filter cleaner, and the 20" should have less resistance than the 10".

It would involve a fair amount of work, but better flow would be nice. And I sure don't want to do it and find the flow is worse for some reason I failed to anticipate.

Reply to
jack

I'd be more concerned about bacteria growing in the sand than filtration or flow. Is this a pool filter or is it certified for use with potable water? You may be adding a serious health risk.

To improve flow you may have to take other steps such as a new bladder tank, increase pressure, larger piping from the well, etc.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Actually a sand filter is coarse prefilter that filters out the sand, of which I have quite a bit. It is easily cleaned and should keep the first filter from loading up on sand.

Reply to
jack

I know what it is, but I also know it can harbor a lot of nasties. Thanks, but I'll bring bottled water if I visit your house.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski