Anyone know the reason for this odd design for dishwasher water inlet?

I'm going through a Hotpoint dishwasher from the late 80's - model HDA

467-02WH and the water inlet fitting seems to have an odd design. The nipple for the incoming water hose instead of being a tube, is this half tube configuration - see attached pic. The rubber hose slides over this half tube. It's not broken, that's the way it is. Anyone know why it's configured this way instead of a tube?

Also, the piece has an open configuration as seen in the view of one just like the one on mine lying on its side. Wondering why this is.

View of the half tube

View of the open sides

Thanks.

Reply to
Doc

Who knows, but IMO when you get to that stage of disassebly with an

80s vintage dishwasher, it's time to just buy a new one.
Reply to
trader4

I suspect it's intended as an anti-siphon device.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

It involved removing two screws.

Reply to
docsavage20

And there's the self-education of seeing how it works.

Reply to
docsavage20

Or not learning. I'll bet uncountably many dollars have been spent in the last year or two replacing dishwashers that no longer clean when the real cause of dirty dishes was the absence of phosphates in the detergent.

I can imagine the angst of the average housewife when, after spending $1,200.00 on a new machine, finds that the new machine STILL doesn't clean as well as the one hauled off as heavy trash a month or so ago!

Reply to
HeyBub

Of course, throwing away an 80's vintage dishwasher might not be a bad idea, even after you spend the time educating yourself on how it works and why it's broken.

Take the learning experience and file it away, then go buy a much more efficient and certainly quieter unit.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Quieter I can grip.

But how is a modern dishwasher that much more "efficient" than a 1980's model?

Reply to
HeyBub

+2

I did an even more extensive level of disassembly of an old KAid D/W (79)... got it all back to together and it ran for two weeks. :( Both a used on on craigslist for $50.... still running 5 years later.

Reply to
DD_BobK

+1
Reply to
DD_BobK

Totally true... typically, the fixes are simple. The learning process is worth the time.

Often an eval & fix can take less time than buying a new one.. It all depends.

Reply to
DD_BobK

Define "efficient". If you mean better at cleaning, sure, there are dishwashers that are more "efficient" than others. Later ones are more "efficient" than older ones, too, since the phosphates have been cut back.

Reply to
krw