Anyone know the reason for this odd design for dishwasher water inlet?

I'm going through a Hotpoint dishwasher from the late 80's - model HDA 467-02WH and the water inlet fitting seems to have an odd design. The nipple for the incoming water hose instead of being a tube, is this half tube configuration - see attached pic. The rubber hose slides over this half tube. It's not broken, that's the way it is. Anyone know why it's configured this way instead of a tube?
Also, the piece has an open configuration as seen in the view of one just like the one on mine lying on its side. Wondering why this is.
View of the half tube
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6iRQt85G2dFTG9NUWlGNEp4S1E/edit?usp=sharing
View of the open sides
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6iRQt85G2dFNDlPSjFLNTVoWTA/edit?usp=sharing
Thanks.

.

.

Who knows, but IMO when you get to that stage of disassebly with an 80s vintage dishwasher, it's time to just buy a new one.
On Wednesday, May 22, 2013 12:03:04 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

It involved removing two screws.
On Thursday, May 23, 2013 12:33:02 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

And there's the self-education of seeing how it works.
Bob F wrote:

Or not learning. I'll bet uncountably many dollars have been spent in the last year or two replacing dishwashers that no longer clean when the real cause of dirty dishes was the absence of phosphates in the detergent.
I can imagine the angst of the average housewife when, after spending $1,200.00 on a new machine, finds that the new machine STILL doesn't clean as well as the one hauled off as heavy trash a month or so ago!

r the

Of course, throwing away an 80's vintage dishwasher might not be a bad idea, even after you spend the time educating yourself on how it works and why it's broken.
Take the learning experience and file it away, then go buy a much more efficient and certainly quieter unit.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Quieter I can grip.
But how is a modern dishwasher that much more "efficient" than a 1980's model?

Define "efficient". If you mean better at cleaning, sure, there are dishwashers that are more "efficient" than others. Later ones are more "efficient" than older ones, too, since the phosphates have been cut back.
On May 22, 9:59 pm, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

+1

r the

Totally true... typically, the fixes are simple. The learning process is worth the time.
Often an eval & fix can take less time than buying a new one.. It all depends.

..

..

+2
I did an even more extensive level of disassembly of an old KAid D/W (79)... got it all back to together and it ran for two weeks. :( Both a used on on craigslist for $50.... still running 5 years later.

I suspect it's intended as an anti-siphon device.