Anyone know a good fix for this?

I was at a friend's house yesterday and saw this happen.
She went into the garagefrom the house and the door closed behind her. She couldn't get back in. The lock was unlocked but it broke. Turning the knob wouldn't retract the bolt.
I took off the doorknobs to look but that really didn't help.
Does anyone know a way to solve this problem?
I didn't think to try prying the bolt back with a screwdriver or credit card shaped tool at the time but it might work.
The lockset looks to be a flimsy cheapo bedroom unit. It has the little button in the knob you turn to set the lock.
Any comments are appreciated. I do have a chainsaw by the way.
mort
Mort Guffman wrote:

Mort-
You said.....
"I took off the doorknobs to look but that really didn't help"
Did you just remove the knobs or the sharfts that the knobs fit on as well?
Wth the door knobs removed & the trims rings as well
you should be able to see the screws (heads should be on the house side" that hold the knob shaft assembly in the door. Remove the screws & you'll be able to slid the shaft assembly out of the door
The only thing left now should be the bolt inb the edge of the door & the sheet metal part that interfaces with the shaft assembly.
Stick a screwdriver into the sheet metal part attached to the bolt & should be able to retract the bolt & open the door
Save the chainsaw for another day.
cheers Bob
On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 01:22:33 GMT, Mort Guffman

You had the right idea. Once you have the door knob off, completely removed so that you can see through the hole. You should be able to see either a 1/2 round / moon shaped object that you can rotate with a screwdriver or a "T shape object that you can pull away from the jamb side of the door towards the hinge. That should open the door.
-Lee

I've seen at least a few cases with Kwikset. Kitchen door to the garage. Hinges spring loaded (fire codes). AFter awhile, the latch breaks. The only solution is to take the knobs off, and destroy the latch from the door knob hole.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

This was my take on it too, I think this is exactly what happened. I got the knobs off both sides, exposing the inner assembly. It has a square hole that the square shaft from the knobs turn. You can turn the square hole, but the bolt unit does not retract from the door jamb. However the other posters had some interesting ideas and I will try the least destructive solutions first. Thanks very much for the comments.
mort
With a square hole, more likely Weiser. Same prescription. If you can't pry the latch back with a screw driver, credit card, etc, then you need to destroy the latch from inside the knob hole.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

another quick option is to remove the pins from the door hinges and open the door from the 'hinge side'. i.e, pulling it offf the hinges and pulling the whole door away from the latched side.
lee
On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 03:20:39 GMT, "lee houston"

This is what I finally had to do (remove the pinsm pry the door open). When I finally got it apart the bolt was jammed open. The locketset brand was "Defiant".
Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions!
Mort