anyone here use... heating loops in concrete driveway/sidewalk?

Page 3 of 3
On 4/22/2015 6:58 AM, Robert Green wrote:

It is better than gold, but not nearly as good as insulation. There is a reason foam board is used to insulate basement floor even though they are over dirt. I agree it is not an even distribution, but there will always be loss into the dirt.
On 4/21/2015 2:24 PM, Robert Green wrote:

Hot air is less dense than cold air so it rises. Heat (energy) travels in every direction where there is less heat seeking equilibrium. Foam will make a huge difference. The frost line here is 48" so that means enough heat is lost for it to freeze. The ground will try to absorb enough heat to replace that loss. That can be very expensive.
On Tuesday, April 21, 2015 at 2:35:46 PM UTC-4, Robert Green wrote:

s I

lks

ll

.

Heat doesn't rise, heated *air* rises.

in

at

t.

ea

er

120

With no data on the cost of the energy, was it gas or oil, etc it isn't much to go on.

At least there you have the energy cost, which is way below typical prices in most of the US today.
On 4/20/2015 12:31 PM, danny burstein wrote:

Our local post office has a concrete ramp entrance done. I think it is electric though. It does an excellent job of keeping it clear especially since we've had over 8' of snow this year.
If you can operate it for less than $20 a snowfall, I'd say it is a good deal to save a lot of labor, either yours or a contractor.
On 4/20/2015 12:31 PM, danny burstein wrote:

Many years ago, I heard that the Rochester, NY bus garage, maybe they call it RGRTA, can't remember, put in parking lot heaters. They found it cheaper and easier than plowing and snow moval.
I don't have any real data, your google fu might be far better than mine.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 4/20/2015 12:31 PM, danny burstein wrote:

Where does all the water go after the snow melts? Will you wind up with a big ice dam along the edge of your driveway?
Per danny burstein:

No experience... but I would have to think about where the melted runoff would go.
Slope: no problem, I would think...
Dead Flat: I'd worry about pooling and freezing - especially after repeated snowfalls with no thaws between.
--
Pete Cresswell

I service machines over a wide area near pittsburgh. One day I saw them exeecavating for a home on a big hill. the driveway was steep. seeing this I wondered what the homeowner would do........ the driveway was gravel, and thats hard to shovel.
the next summer I went by and they were execavating the drive way. ended up back in that area frequently...
they dug it out, then added some sort of foam insulation. PEX loops/
back in area the next day the concrete truck was doing its job.
i went back several times, it had snowed. no snow on that driveway
that spring I saw the family fixing up their yard so i stopped and asked how theheatd driveway was doing.
they loved it and said energy costs werent too bad since it just had to be warmer than freezing.