Anyone Here Ever Re-Buy A Past Home?

I'm considering repurchasing a dump that to me was the Taj Mahal. Have an appointment with my realtor to look at my old place today, which I haven't been in in exactly four years. Just wondering if anyone here ever did this "twice in a lifetime" type thing, and if they had any tips, regrets, suggestions.
FWIW, I learned how unconditional love for a home could be in the years I've been away.
Very good friends of mine did that with one of their homes. Lived in it several times. I don't know necessarily that they sold it in the interims, but do know that they rented it out....Of course, the usual refurbishing when they moved back in, but to them the essence of what they liked about the house was still there. The location, the layout of the floorplan.. Perry
I havent moved for that reason and still drive by the home I grew up in, moved at age 12 now nearly 50:(
yeah I am attached to my home........:)
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Thhings change. Just keep the good memory and forget? My first house is not far from where I am. Once I took my kids when they were young and knocked on the door. Told them I grew up in the house and asked permission to come in and look around with my kids. They were kind enough to let us in and look around. Upstairs, downstairs, everything changed. Now my good memory is not so good, LOL! I am on the wrong side of 60 now.
I drive by my old childhood home, the owners changed the new owners have 2 young daughters..... new owner must of suspected i was a stalker.
Anyhow one day I drive by with my girlfriend at the time, saw the new owner and decided to identify myself.......
turned out girlfriends dad and the new owner wer friends what a small world.
he said I could see inside later and I want to do that... soon
Hey, Tony and Hallerb-- I just turned 50, so maybe it's a middle-aged "thing?" Thanks for the feedback.
Jules Vide wrote:

I have always been this way:)
Anyone doing this KNOWS most of the homes troubles like water seeps in that corner when it rains hard.
EXCELLENT for bargaining......
if you made any QUESTIONABLE repairs:( Time to unearth them for lower price!
I want to see if the doorbell transformer I installed at age 11 is still in use. I remember being very proud of the job.......
when your 11 working on line voltage is exciting:)

I added something to my grandmother's doorbell because she kept getting confused about which door the visitor was at. I connected an electronic pulsating buzzer (which is what I had at the time) to the front door solenoid. The buzzer takes DC so I adder a rectifier and capacitor. Now when someone rings the front doorbell you get the usual chime and BEEP-BEep-beep-bp (steadily decreasing volume as the capacitor discharges).
Since then, that house has been sold twice. I know the new owner, and that thing is still there.

If you touch the wrong things, it feels like a thousand hyperactive ants just under your skin. That's exciting.

Mark Lloyd

I'm now living in the area where I was born, and had to move away. I came back at age 28. I didn't buy the house I grew up in, but I do know the couple who own it now and they let me come and see it occasionally.

Mark Lloyd

When you visit, look at the house objectively. Don't pay a premium for the memories.
This past weekend my wife and I took a ride through our old neighborhoods both from childhood and after we married. We have no desire to move back after moving 275 miles about 25 years ago. Neighborhoods change, we've changed. No longer a good fit.
It's an interesting idea. The house I spent ages 3 to 14 has been remodeled, added to, and bears little resemblance. So, in my case "you can't go home".
I encourage you to go live your dream. So few people can, these days.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

you could buy it and restore it to what you remember:)
One thing I decided long ago if a previous resident EVER shows up here they will get a warm welcome..........
The home I grew up in is now owned by a cousin who lets me go through now and then. I've no desire to live there again as the memories were not happy ones. Parents fought the whole time I remeber living there. So moving on was a good thing....
I doubt I would remarry and exwife either..

doubt isnt for sure........
a good friend whos wife cheated has confided he woulds take her back and its been 11 years....... she moved in with her cheater and he hasnt even dated. she ruined him:(
my brother got divorced in the last 6 months, and talked about taking her back just the other day
frequently time heals wounds and you forget the bad and fondly remember the good......
About a year after we bought our house, the former owner wanted to know if we'd sell it back to him. We said, No.
I'd have to see the inside. It isn't a case of a simple re-restore. The house is about twice the size of when I lived there.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.