Anyone Have Comcast Cable?

You have to compare long term prices and what you can negotiate. We keep cable/internet down by getting introductory offers every 6 months. Don't know if you can do this with the dish and I understand fios is near impossible. Our Comcast bill yesterday was a pleasant surprise with the credits we got along with the new introductory rate.
I have heard dish is good except for fading during storms but have also heard dish internet is lousy. Next door neighbor has dish for TV and fios for internet.
On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 07:41:14 -0400, Frank

I have DSL bundled with the Dish. It is a solid 3meg. I know Comcast says they go a lot faster but they were down a lot and that speed was an iffy thing.
On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 10:07:29 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (MICHELLE H.) wrote:

If you have a newer TV it probably has a QAM digital tuner that will be able to see the unscrambled digital channels so you could run your VCR off the box and watch TV directly.
On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 10:07:29 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (MICHELLE H.) wrote:

I'm pretty sure you can use any digital converter box. You don't have to use theirs. You have one already iirc, and you can use the one you have and a second one in parallel.
Pal Plus by Dish Network sold and may still sell a digital conversion box that could be programmed like a VCR to change stations at scheduled times, so you can match up the stations on that with the times your vcr goes on, and tape either off the air, or off the digital cable signal (which as far as I know are the same format). The input on your VCR would be channel 3 or 4, whichever you set as the output for the digital conversion box.
This was a rather expensive box, selling for 30 dollars above the 40 dollar coupon, but maybe prices have gone down, now that the rush to buy the boxes was over shortly after the over the air digital conversion last June.
OTOH, I thought I would be seeing people giving away DCBoxes as more people bought digital tv's since last June, like on the freecycle list I read, or selling them cheap at hamfests, and I haven't seen any. They're probably cheaper but I don't think they are free yet.

They probably can't explain things very well, maybe don't even understand your question. You can't use them in sequence, but you can use them in parallel, I'm sure. I'm confused what you have now, but in additoin, You can get a splitter and split the signal out of your cable box, sending one signal to the tv and one to the vcr. Then you can choose with the A/B switch, the output of the VCR or the cable to decide which goes into the tv, like you're doing now.
BTW, there are remote controlled A/B switches, though I only found two models. One was from Radio Shack, and it has a non-remote switch also, useful when you are standing at the tv. I found something strange about Radio Shack, which usually has one of the best webpages out there. Online it said they were out of stock on the Remote A/B Swtich and they offered to email me when they had mroe. They did, and I went to the store and in the course of conversation found out they had never been out of them. That's really strange because in other cases, they would let me pick a store and find out how many each store had of something, including zero.

There is a philips 3576H DVDR that has good thigns and bad things. I think I paid 200 dollars (no rental) but that was on a big discount of 50 or 80 dollars. OTOH, they might have such sales often. Other than mail order, I coudl only find it at Sam's Club and they had an offer in the paper, free membership for one day. Although won't most of those places let you belong free for one day if they don't remember you doing that over and over? The H means it has a hard drive that holds at low def (which is fine unless you have a really big tv) 200 or 300 hours of tv. And you can also record to DVD, or copy from either to the other. I've made two dvd's but basically I only use the harddrive.
It does a lot of other things like allowing editing of the show, to remove commercials for example, but I don't do any of those things. And it has a digital tuner (and analog, but that won't work anymore)
But it has logic weaknesses. At the end of recording somehing, it turns off unless you stop it, even if it was on before it started recordign. It doesn't allow you to play one recording after another autmoatically, which is no big deal if your in the same room or the same floor, but I'd like to be in the basement and have the thing play one after anohter. They could update the firmware but it's been 3 years and htey haven't.
And on the recorded version, it gives the channel and the time, but not the name of the program, which I think they could have done if they'd tried.
These are not big things, but it would be nice if they woudl fix them.

BTW, even though this was sold by Dish Network, it works fine with OTA, over the air, and afaict that was the major or only reason for making it.
But otoh, isn't the digital signal that comes out of digital cable electonically the same as what comes OTA? (The difference is that cable is often compressed to save bandwidth, but OTA is the the entire signal, never compressed.)

I forgot to deal with the issue of scrambling. But if they say you can watch it with just a set-top box, then scramblign is probably not an issue.
BTW, I odn't have cable, but I know there are ways around most of this stuff.
The conversion to digital influences consumers to put more money into Comcasts hands. In order to easily record and watch two different channels like you have been doing you must now rent one of Comscasts DVR's.
On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 10:07:29 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (MICHELLE H.) wrote:

Very strange. I can not get any analog programs at all since last year. The VCR is only good for playing tapes, but I can easily record high-def TV programs to the PC hard drive using a Hauppenpauge TV card, then watch it or burn a DVD. If you have a card with more than one tuner, you can watch one program on channel 5 at the same time while recording channel 8.
Comcast may scramble the your signal requiring you to buy their recording service for a monthly fee (possibly there is a hack for descrambling). Any new TV tuner should be digital ready. Cable can be way overpriced, depending on your local competition.