Anyone Have Comcast Cable?

Page 2 of 4

On 03/26/10 10:55 am, uncle K wrote:

Or DirecTV.
Perce
On 3/26/2010 10:55 AM, uncle K wrote:

Exactly, if you need to get a bunch of boxes might as well get them from a satellite provider and pay less. Remember it wasn't that long ago that the cable companies touted that you didn't need a box like those satellite companies make you use?

When Comcast did that here, it was the tipping point for me. I figured if I was going to have to have a box, they had eliminated the last minor advantage they had over direcTV. The picture quality on DirecTV is vastly superior, and I get a lot more channels fror less money.

I have the expanded basic. Bad enough they pulled channels off expanded basic willy nilly and moved them to digital, but this nonsense is the final straw for me too. The website basically says if you do nothing, you will only have basic, which isn't a lot when you consider several of those channels are Spanish speaking. I am going back to DirectTV which I had years ago, but at that time no local channels, that is no longer an issue with satellite, so good-bye Comcast! Overpriced and underserved.
Cheri

I used to have DirecTV. I changed to cable over a year ago. One reason being the poor quality of DirecTV customer service.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

And NO channels available without one of their receivers. That's like cable, but worse.
Sam E wrote:

Sure there are. Use an antenna, and a converter box if needed. More locals and better quality on those channels, than cable OR dish.
--
aem sends...

DISH was a excellent choice up till feb 1st:(
They increased extra receiver fees dramatically, from 5 bucks to 17 bucks for some dual tuner DVR boxes, and added a 6 buck a month DVR fee per account. Which was previously FREE, with americas everyting pack.
my bill went up about 30 bucks per month.
I dropped packages and shut down a extra receiver.
On the principal of the thing I am shopping for a new provider.....
DISH USED THE GOUGE TOOL ON THEIR BEST SUBSCRIBERS, I have had them for 13 years.
On a brite note I am looking to buy DVDs of some of my favorite shows from the higher tier packages.
We are spending way too much on tv
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Rueful chuckle- amen brother to that. Remember when TV was free? Sure, it was only 8-10 channels, but there are only 8-10 on Dish that are of any use to me anyway. If History and Discovery and a few others were available OTA, I'd drop Dish in a heartbeat. I guess the ~2 bucks a day I spend on Dish are cheaper than a lot of my other bad habits. (Like usenet...)
--
aem sends...

Have you seen a TV Guide for the 1970's or 80's? There was more to watch on those 8-10 channels than on a typical "basic cable" lineup of 60-80 channels. In fact most nights we wind up watching classic episodes of Hawaii Five-O, Mission Impossible etc. on DVD, cable is reserved for MLB games and little else.
On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 20:54:58 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@b.invalid"

Have you looked into internet TV outlets like HULU.COM? They have a lot of those old TV shows for free along with a lot of current TV. I really think the biggest change in TV will be internet delivery.
On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 10:17:55 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

From another group:
_120+ Sites to watch TV online_
http://blog.unixmen.com/2009/12/120-sites-to-watch-tv-online.html
Oren wrote:

As a TV, a computer makes a pretty good computer. Yeah, I know, you can plumb it all together, and pipe it up to the real television- yada yada yada. I don't wanna buy another X hundred dollars worth of crap and figure out how to wire it and operate it, and figure it out when it stops working correctly- I just wanna lay on the couch and watch TV. They have taken that away from me with the near-demise of OTA television and simple analog cable, and I am still pissed about it. If you can't pull it off a roof antenna, you should at least be able to run 1 damn wire from the wall outlet to the television, no stupid boxes or special tuner cards, and plug it up and watch it that way. The satt or cable system should present a feed to the TV that looks just like an OTA antenna, IMHO.
You damn kids get offa my lawn!
--
aem sends, crankily....

If you have a fairly new TV it has a VGA port in the back that takes a PC monitor plug directly. I have an old PC connected to my Samsung 40". It doesn't take much PC horsepower to stream internet video. Hook up a wireless mouse and you have armchair convenience. The other OPC I have hooked to a TV has a TV out card in it. They both swap programs with my ReplayTV DVR over my network.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Most modern TVs are really computer monitors in disguise, with a tuner and speakers crammed in there. (Installed enough of them on the office walls for the bigshots at work.)
Nope- all my TVs (and computer monitors) are still glass, and they all still work perfectly. (Damn Sony Trinitron quality). Until they die, or the picture quality goes south, I can't justify replacing them with wide flatscreens. (My eyes aren't HD any more, so not much point in HD televisions....) And it may not take much PC horsepower, but it does take an big internet pipe, for a good signal. Ma Bell doesn't do DSL out here, so all I have is an overpriced 384 from another vendor. A fast connection from this vendor would cost more than the satt dish does.
--
aem sends...

Old eyes are a perfect excuse for large flat screens. I retired my last tube (I still have one in the attic) four years ago and wasn't yet wearing glasses (went from no glasses to bifocals in about six months).
-snip-

That was my thought, too until a couple weeks ago. My parents got an HD TV when they replaced their old analog TV with no remote. not a huge one- I think it might be 21"diagonal.
I was at their house when an Olympic hockey game kicked off & I caught a couple minutes of the game.
I have never been impressed with those huge monster sets on display in malls and stores. I don't know if it is the size, the lighting, or if they are all just set up wrong--- but now that I've seen a real one in real-life use, an HD TV is now in my future.
My eyes are bad-- but the HD compensates for it.
Jim

I currently have TWC, the basic channels. All of a sudden they say they are providing me "better" service. For the O Network channel they will require me to get a set top box. For one year they say that they won't charge me for the box. Big deal, I never watch the O channel, anyway. I'm grandfathered into my cable TV w/o having the set top box. The day they say I need it for all cable YV, is the day I close my account. TWC already tried this same thing with HBO and I dropped HBO.
-snip-

8-10? We had 2-3. Now I have a few hundred-- and watch 2-3 for the most part.<g>
-snip-

On both TV & Usenet- aside from the entertainment value, every once & a while a gem comes along and makes it all worthwhile.
Jim

Notice the post I was replying to mentioned Dish Network. You can't get anything from Dish Network with an antenna and not using their receiver.