Anyone have a good experience with Black & Decker lately

Page 3 of 4

Thanks for the reference. I'll check if my local library has it.
Geo

Some patriots, these CEOs! Sell the nation down the tubes just to raise EPS.
Lenin is supposed to have said something like this:
Don't worry about the capitalists; they'll sell us the rope to hang them with.
:-(
David
On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 06:25:30 GMT, "GEO" snipped-for-privacy@home.here wrote:

Yet when I worked for them as an electrician's assistant they often tried to cheat me out of my pay.(late paychecks, short paychecks etc...)

Around here I would call it Gone Eccentric. They might have been right or wrong in getting out of the Power Transformer business but that left six thousand without jobs a few years back. Recently Plastics brought fifty or sixty people from India and Mexico here to train as accounts payable/receivable clerks and help desk assistants. Those people eventually went back to their countries with the jobs that were done here. Of course, the people doing the training here in the States are now unemployed. They may "Bring good things to life" but they can ruthlessly destroy good lives also.
Bill
none wrote:

or Generally defective.
On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 10:14:46 -0800, Jamie

Touche

GE sold off its TV and other consumer products (including the RCA product line) to Thompson (a French company) some years ago.
As you mention, the "white" goods was sold off to B&D (I didn't know who in particular.)
GE only manufactures BIG stuff today (e.g.: jet engines, locomotives, power plant turbines, etc.) The other may BE makes money is by finance and, of course, it's ownership of NBC acquired with the takeover of RCA. They still are in the x-ray machine and medical scanning business.
Basically, they sell off divisions that face serious competition from Asia.
Fred wrote:

My neighbor had the same problem. Then his wife pointed out that he only turned on for about two minutes, moved up and down at the wrong angle, and could never seem to get the job done to her satisfaction.

the
now
They sold their soul to WalMart, cycles of build it cheaper.
There has never been since the late 70s a B&D tool tool that I could not blow out in a day or week. PC and Milwaukee are Pro tools, made to last a lifetime
| They sold their soul to WalMart, cycles of build it cheaper.
Have you seen that TV show about Wal-Mart where they get the sellers into little rooms then screw them down until they move to China or go bankrupt?
Uh .. Isn't Dewalt actually the Professional brand of B&D? (Pretty Good to me)
BTW, I just bought B@D's "Vortex" electric leaf blower/vac and in my humble opinion, it out performs just about every gas model that I have ever used!
(I'm prepared for the "Flames" 8)
On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 05:55:04 GMT, "Fred"

I feel the same way. I had some B&D tools that lasted forever. I used swear by their tools. Now I swear at them. I bought one of their drills 1 1/2 years ago. It had a keyless chuck. I have never been fond of those things, but most hold if you burn the piss out of your hand tightening them. Not this one. I dont hold anything. I contacted the company. They told me to take it to a service center. I checked, the nearest center is 130 miles away. I contacted them and told them I am not going that far. They said that is all they can do for me. I bought a saber saw a year ago. I used it about 8 times. Last week I was cutting a piece of thin sheet metal with a metal cuting blade. Suddenly the blade stopped moving, yet the motor kept running. There went the cheap plastic gears. I;m sure they will tell me to drive 130 miles again. I tossed the drill in the trash, because there was no way to remove the chuck. I guess the saw will be next to add to the garbage heap. I will never buy another B&D tool.
Mark

drills,
off
the
now
I'd forgotten about the drill, my mom has one of those pieces of crap, I'm always cursing at it whenever I end up having to use it over there because I can't drill through anything without the drill bit spinning in the chuck.

Cheap keyless chucks are junk. OTOH, if you buy a $200 drill, they are excellent.
At about the time of 12/5/2004 5:04 AM, Edwin Pawlowski stated the following:

Just goes to show you, you get what you pay for...usually. I'll spend the money to by a quality peice of equipment that will give me years of trouble free service vs. spending <$20 for some chinese made peice of junk.
--
Daniel Rudy

Email address has been encoded to reduce spam.
On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 17:13:07 GMT, Daniel Rudy
wrote:

Depends what I need it for. Some stuff it's absolutely worth getting quality. Snap-ring pliers for example. If I just need a cheap socket set to keep in the car, the $30 set is fine. A brick chisel that I'll never need again, a cheap chinese one is fine.
B&D makes a lot of Sears tools, btw. I agree that B&D quality has gone down the toilet. I had a $30 Sears drill that endured 10 years of abuse until I managed to snap the shaft driving lag bolts. An equilvalent new replacement has plastic gears and would probably only tolerant light use.
So far, I like Porter-Cable for medium quality tools. The circular saw runs nice and quiet compared to many other I've tried.
-Chris
On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 01:56:42 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

Black and Decker bought Porter-Cable earlier this year.
On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 17:13:07 GMT, Daniel Rudy
wrote:

Try using a rubber strap wrench to get it tight, better than scrubbing your palms. Or at least use a shop rag wrapped around it.

Or simply replace it with a quality keyless chuck from a tool shop or good hardware store. I've had fair luck using Jacob replacement chucks.

made
replacement
Ditto. Mines "cordless". Holds a charge for 45 seconds.