Anyone have a favorite ip camera surveillance system?

Page 2 of 2
On 03/13/2016 07:39 PM, Idlehands wrote:
[snip]

Put the camera in a windmill with a generator?
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

Freestanding IP cams with solar panels and radio links are doable.
Can't recall the needed watts, but it's doable without too-huge of a panel. Do a search for "Solar" at http://www.cam-it.org/index.php?
--
Pete Cresswell

On 3/13/2016 8:39 PM, Idlehands wrote:

Of course, but it's easier to find an outlet and place a camera near it than it is to run cable through walls from the main point of connectivity.
On 2016-03-14 3:43 AM, Meanie wrote:

However there are no outlets on the exterior of my house that would make for a suitable location for a camera. Another building that wanted wireless meant running power to the eaves of the building. Cat6 was much simpler to run.
--
When Stephen Hawking was asked his IQ he said:

"I have no idea. People who boast about their I.Q. are losers."
On 03/14/2016 07:47 AM, Idlehands wrote:
[snip]

Yes, although some people insist on wireless, no matter how inferior it is.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On 03/13/2016 02:48 PM, Meanie wrote:

Then you have to run power
On 03/13/2016 08:10 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
[snip]

POE uses 1 or 2 of the pairs in an ethernet cable. This means the ethernet can't be the 1Gb variety (which uses all 4 pairs). Maybe you don't need 1Gb to the cameras, but you'd need to be careful with identical-looking cables in use for POE and 1Gb. Don't connect the wrong one.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On 2016-03-13 4:40 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

They have overcome that limitation with the introduction of "Phantom Power"
"Standards-based Power over Ethernet is implemented following the specifications in IEEE 802.3af-2003 (which was later incorporated as clause 33 into IEEE 802.3-2005) or the 2009 update, IEEE 802.3at. A phantom power technique is used to allow the powered pairs to also carry data. This permits its use not only with 10BASE-T and 100BASE-TX, which use only two of the four pairs in the cable, but also with 1000BASE-T (gigabit Ethernet), which uses all four pairs for data transmission."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_over_Ethernet
Most recent install I worked on implemented 1Gig data to the cameras and the higher end switches are smart enough to not deliver POE to non-POE devices.
--
When Stephen Hawking was asked his IQ he said:

"I have no idea. People who boast about their I.Q. are losers."
On 03/13/2016 07:50 PM, Idlehands wrote:
[snip]

Thanks. I liked learning something. While I don't need this right now, I may someday.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

One more point: read up on cameras lens focal length and field of view vs resolution. Cams are usually available with different focal length lenses.
You may want cameras with longer or shorter focal lengths depending on what you want to monitor. ... For a given camera resolution, of course, the available detail goes down as the field of view increases... so you want to optimize the tradeoffs. e.g. http://tinyurl.com/glexdyc
2.8, 6, and 12 are the sizes I see most often. Most of mine are 6, but I have a couple of 2.8's: one for the inside of a garden shed, and another for a back door area.
--
Pete Cresswell

Per (PeteCresswell):

Just checked... I lied... most of mine are 4mm.
--
Pete Cresswell

On Sat, 12 Mar 2016 21:43:43 -0800, T wrote:

If you could do remote viewing, why pay for a camera?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remote_viewing
Per T:

Also: be aware that many (most?) cameras have their own built-in recording and motion-sensing functionality.
i.e. You can set up just a camera, tell it where to sense motion, where to store the recordings, tell your router about it and which port to forward.... and connect to it from anywhere via any browser, or freebie apps like IpCam Viewer.
--
Pete Cresswell