Anyone have a favorite ip camera surveillance system?

Page 1 of 2
Anyone have a favorite ip camera surveillance system?
Need one to four cameras. Would like a stand alone DVR. And, would like remote viewing.
How about this Lorex 4 camera analog 1080p system (only $299):
http://www.costco.com/Lorex-4-Channel-HD-Analog-DVR-with-1TB-HDD%2c-4-1080p-Cameras-with-130 '-Night-Vision.product.100237625.html
A friend has the 8 camera system in his business and it works great.
Remember that these pre-packaged systems do NOT include a monitor so be sure to pick up a cheap computer monitor or a monitor with HDMI input for the sharpest picture.

Thank you!

Fer what?
If you want a really clear picture, don't even buy the analog system.
<http://www.stashspace.com/shoot-good-home-video/understand-digital-video.stm
nb
On 03/13/2016 08:26 AM, notbob wrote:

Employer wants to watch employees goof off when he is out of the office
And wants to record burglars.
On 2016-03-12 10:43 PM, T wrote:

Axis Communications IP/POE cameras, Genetec Omnicast Surveillance Software and 128TB fully redundant RAID array with 128TB failover.
That one is my favorite.
Might be overkill for you.
--
When Stephen Hawking was asked his IQ he said:

"I have no idea. People who boast about their I.Q. are losers."
On 03/12/2016 11:32 PM, Idlehands wrote:

A bit! :-)
On 3/12/2016 10:43 PM, T wrote:

Do you really want IP cameras? Or, would you settle for RS170 cameras wired to a "camera card" in a generic PC?
On 03/13/2016 12:31 AM, Don Y wrote:

IP cameras are easier to run the cabling, especially since the customer runs cat6 cable himself
On 3/13/2016 12:43 AM, T wrote:

Simple, good quality (IMO) and cheaper are Foscams.
Hikvision are good cameras also http://overseas.hikvision.com/us/index.html
POE systems generally offer a DVR within but if you use a software such as Blue Iris, your computer is your DVR. Blue Iris is a complete security software. It controls the functions and allows remote access.
I have 7 ip cameras in my house and use Blue Iris. All cameras are triggered and recorded by motion and the recording is on a separate PC used mainly for the system. Been using them for several years now with minimal problems.
I suggest a minimum resolution of 1080 for cameras.

I'll never buy another foscam. Junk.
Bought two FI9821W V2's. Within a month (literally), the first one failed. Color would go all mosaic. Had to argue back and forth with Foscam that it was THEIR responsibility. They kept claiming I need to take it back to the seller. Took almost a month.
About 13 months after purchase, BOTH failed. The one that failed with the mosaic failed AGAIN with the same issue. Foscam said too bad, out of warranty.
Never again.

Per Evan Platt:

+1 - and I have been through 2 of them.
--
Pete Cresswell

On 3/13/2016 9:41 AM, Evan Platt wrote:

I can't blame you, I'd do the same. Fortunately, I've had great success with their cameras and as I stated, still using them after several years.
Per T:

HikVision "Eyeball" cameras and Blue Iris camera server running on my 24-7 PC.
"Favorite" might be too strong a word for Blue Iris since I have next to zero experience with any other cam server... but BI does the job for me both at home and here: http://extremesurfcam.dyndns.org . Huge feature set - many things you would never have thought of, yet are important to most people setting up something like this.
The HikVision eyeball cams, OTOH, I can say really are better than any of the other el-cheapo cams I have used. Less than a hundred bucks each from AliExpress, significantly less prone to spider webs (the IR attracts spiders for some reason) across the lens, much more durable form factor: http://tinyurl.com/z5vydtc
FWIW, I find that POE is a big deal. Power Over Ethernet... you pay a few bucks extra for a router that supplies POE or you buy a sub-$20 add-on and all your power wiring problems go away - just run the Ethernet to the camera and it's done.
Only negative I can think of is that maybe a turnkey DVR system would require less care and feeding... but I don't *know* that.... just seems reasonable given the contract between TIVO and SageTV or Microsoft Media Center.... OTOH, the flexibility and the geek factor attract me....
--
Pete Cresswell

Per (PeteCresswell):

Oops... shb "...contrast between..."
--
Pete Cresswell

On 3/13/2016 9:10 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

The problem with POE is that you do have to run cable. It's great if one is willing to do so and much better in the long run, otherwise, wireless/IP are the way to go.
depending on your needs of course, who wants to run Wires? [too much trouble; similar to house alarm systems]
wireless is my preferince
Foscam[s] are worth looking at 1st; again, depending on your needs
marc
On 2016-03-13 3:48 PM, Meanie wrote:

My research indicates you still need power to the wireless cameras, either way you are dealing with pulling wire. Unless you have a convenient outlet to plug the camera power supply into.
--
When Stephen Hawking was asked his IQ he said:

"I have no idea. People who boast about their I.Q. are losers."
Per Idlehands:

Maybe others have had better luck, but the couple of WiFi cams I tried were pretty much hopeless. IIRC at 640x480 they were barely functional and anything higher was totally useless.
OTOH it might say more about the quality of my WiFi than any device... but I am heavily biased in favor of hard-wired Ethernet whenever possible.
--
Pete Cresswell

On 2016-03-13 7:55 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

I tend to agree, I have done some installations where wireless bridges were used to bridge from poles to building. They have a greater failure rate due to snow and rain than any hard-wire camera.