Anybody roll form fascia trim here ?

I have a twenty year old house I built with matching soffit, fascia and guttering until about a year ago, when a tree limb knocked off and destroyed a piece of fascia trim. All efforts has proved fruitless including the original mfg. Norandex. They still make the fascia just not in that color. I have located coil stock in the correct color (gutter coil) and thickness .030 aluminum but so far no one to roll it. There are a handful of people on the net that say they roll fascia trim, but there machines a differnet pattern. Norandex office told me they are a distibutor and can not roll it for me, nor do they know anyone who can. (? ) And the local store says use a metal brake. Yeah right. I can come close on a 6" test piece but 10'..... come on. I have a comercial brake at work, but this is roll formed not brake formed. If anyone has an idea or lead let me know. Other than send you pics I don't have a way of showing you all the piece, but here are the specs and a sketch.

____/\\____/\\____/\\____/\\____ ]

The ribs are way exagerated. They are perhaps the height of the thickness of a credit card. Measuring from the top of the fascia trim it is : 1/2" to

1st rib, 2-1/2" to 2nd rib, 4-1/2" to 3rd rib. 6-1/2" to 4th rib, 8" to 90 degree bend, 1" to next 90 degree bend 3/16" turned up lip. The above drawing is laying down rather than vertical.

Of course this piece is the first one you see coming up the driveway and is why I am trying to get a close match. Everyone says tear a piece off the back of the house and put up front. It is not that simple due to decorative beams that protrude from the fascia and you guessed it ......are covered in the same color and have slight variations that keep me from moving the trim this way. Unless Norandex custom built their owm fascia roller someone has one of these somewhere. I have even seen this fascia at Home Depot and Lowes a few years back, same pattern and all just in white or brown. Lesson learned: trim a house in white or brown, you will always be able to get trim for it. BTW the old Norandex color is Tan and the Klein aluminum color is antique ivory. Thanks for reading and all comments are welcome. Lyndell

P.S. I only need about 20' feet of this but I will make it worth someones while to set up and roll this for me if they have the roll former. I know I can paint it as a last resort but I really would like it to match and continue to match the rest of the house.

Reply to
Lyndell Thompson

(tale of woe snipped)

Not a flame to OP, but this is yet another reason I am not a fan of wrapping wood trim in metal.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

On 9/7/2009 11:23 AM aemeijers spake thus:

Or worse yet, plastic (yuck!).

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

I'd go about it another way. Since you say you can get the same type, but not in the same color. Buy the same type and paint it, just about everyone does color matching now days.

Reply to
Larry S

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 ]

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Lyndell

Colors can be changed, paint it. If you found it once its still out there. Why havnt you thought of paint on what you have seen for sale.

Reply to
ransley

Colors can be changed, paint it. If you found it once its still out there. Why havnt you thought of paint on what you have seen for sale.

Answer: I have seen some really sloppy jobs at painted aluminum trim. They peel, crack , fade etc. My trim for the most part, looks as it did 20 years ago when I installed it. I am hoping for another twenty and beyond with whatever I do. I wash it about once a year or so. The auto makers know a lot about paint but even their best would not look so good under these conditions. I think it would be hard to get performance like this from any type of paint, even powder coat. I may have to go this route. Like I said it is my last choice. Oh and I forgot the real reason.........I just installed decra shingles with 50 year warranty so I am not planning on selling anytime soon. :-) Lyndell

Reply to
Lyndell Thompson

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Lyndell

You are wrong about this, if its cleaned, prepped right-sanding. Primed, painted with a top quality paint, in the proper conditions, it will last and wont peel. Talk to a siding co tech, Sherwin and Benjamin Moore company techs. The top paint is near 60$ a gallon and performs well when done right. What you really see is painters cutting corners using the cheapest stuff they can, so the customer gets screwed. You might find Sherwin Williams is the factory siding paint. Now you could do it before its hung and it will look factory done, you could spray it for a great finish, but prep, product, and environment- temp when painting is the key.

Reply to
ransley

You might try and find someone with a Brake Buddy. This is a hand former used with a brake to roll form sheet metal, here is a link:

Now, I do have a Brake Buddy and it produces great facias, here is the one I use, which is a much wider rib:

If you look at the page on the Brake Buddy you will see they offer a V groove roller set, which I do not have. Contact Tapco and ask them how deep the ribs are formed and see if it is OK for your application. Then the trick is to find someone near you who uses one.

If you were near me (northern Ohio) and wanted to purchase the roller set, I would be happy to form your facia.

Reply to
DT

New trim, you could always have a auto body shop paint it and bake it. I've seen steel doors done that way, and they look fantastic.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers