Anybody ever wallpaper a ceiling?

The guy that dry-walled the ceiling in my house did a bad job. Under certain lighting conditions, you can see the joints. I was thinking of wallpapering the entire ceiling with a white raised pattern surface paper. Am I asking for trouble? Will it even stick? Are there easier, less-messy alternatives?

Please take a few years to think about this terrible idea. You'll be happy you did. :-) There *has* to be a better way.

We used the raised paper that is patterned to resemble a tin ceiling in our kitchen. It is difficult to put up, but we were really happy with it when we were finished.
You just have to keep going over it a bit more with the brush than you would on a wall, but then the adhesive reaches a point where it starts to hold. It would be easier with scaffolding so you could easily walk the length of a sheet with the brush.
We did a smallish kitchen. I don't think I would want to do a large room or whole house.

Many years ago, virtually all ceilings were papered Most had a light pattern and, of course, were white or nearly white.

Texture paint? Gerry
Canvas was a standard feature on all homes in my area, 80 yr old quality plaster and lath. There are many options of which I feel texture is the ugliest. There are even patterned papers designed for paint. You need a real pro for quality no seam paper jobs one who "double cuts" seams so they are nonexistant, even then its a lost art and seam failure is a possibility in the future. Why not get the drywaller back.
46erjoe wrote:

Hi, You mean you don't have texture sprayed ceiling? I never heard of ceiling paper! Tony

Elvis...Graceland, burgundy I think.
Bob

How old are you? Most houses had it in the days before about 1960 or so.
The house is over a hundred years old, but it was gutted and rehabbed in 85. I'm hesitant about textured paint because it collects dust and I've found it hard to clean and if it ever needs repainting, it's gonna be a bear.
wrotF:

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Hi, Officially senior. Hardly ever lived in an old house. I had always my house built. Now there is paint made for textured looking. I think painting would be deasier than papering. Tony
I agree with one poster here, I saw it at Graceland in Memphis. Persons in the drywall business have a secret for covering these type of seams that don't come out right. They take a texture sprayer and spray either texture or drywall mud that has been thinned down. Some even let that dry and pass a plastic knife over it to flatten it out. But ceiling paper ??? It didn't look good even in Elvis's house !!! He even had green carpet in the walls and ceiling !!!
46erjoe wrote:

My 1950 house had wallpaper on the ceilings. I can't imagine why. I've removed a lot of it already.
46erjoe wrote:

Will it stick? Sure.
Are you asking for trouble? Well, you are asking for a mountain of frustration if you try to DIY. Hire a paper hanger if you do it.
-- dadiOH ____________________________

If you want a papered ceiling yes paper will work on ceilings. If you are just concerned about seeing the seams than just get a good taper and retape the seems. A lot cheaper and less mess than either texture or paper. You are not using a semigloss paint on your ceiling are you? That will really show up any imperfection.
On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 12:20:54 GMT, "calhoun"

This is the answer I've been waiting to see. Get a finisher & float out the ceiling.
I have a similar situation in an old house that was gutted. Looks great during the day. But the lighting is critical when the bulb is right near the ceiling broadcasting light across it. I wanted a slick finish & that makes it more obvious. Friends & family think I'm crazy because it looks fine to them. But I'm a paperhanger & notice these flaws more than most. (another reason I wanted it slick, I don't like heavy texture)
I'll either slick it out & fix it, or change the lighting, or just live with it. What I won't be doing is hanging paper simply to hide it.
Cheapest & easiest fix would be to change the lighting.
So, have him finish the taping job. Or have someone who can, do it.
You'll be so glad you didn't put paper up there.
And ... I know just how big a job and mess it can be to remove old crappy paper from a ceiling and make things right. Don't set yourself up to go there.
46erjoe wrote:

What about plain old ceiling tiles? They come in different textures and styles. They're pretty easy to install yourself.
As an aside, I think the norm is to do a lousy job wallboarding ceilings nowadays. A friend just had a house built and you can see most of the joints. He talked to a few other people and they just shrug and say that's the way it is today. What happened to craftsmanship? It got lost in blank ink.
--
--Marc

The '87 house we live in has mildly textured and painted sheetrock ceilings. In some of the rooms the work is excellent, in others there is uneveness and joints show. Someone was doing good work and another wasn't. Another option is tin panels. I saw them installed on tv a few years ago.They are like ceiling tiles, but interlock and attach to firring strips. There are different patterns available and it would be more durable. The finished product was too formal and dressy for my taste, but causes me to think there must be other types of ceiling coverings also.
--
Commander