Any way to secure tiny screw on reading glasses?

That is why it is used as a surgical glue for doctors and veterinarians.

Reply to
EXT

In that case, I would get thee to thy workshop and judiciously apply a center punch.

Reply to
SteveBell

Square Peg wrote: ...

Probably won't work well on the shiny metal...

The Loctite or peening/spreading/thread-galling suggestions are good.

I've found the nail polish/paint/primer route to (usually) be enough, too.

The only different suggestion I've not seen that has worked on occasion is a drop of epoxy in a pinch works like Loctite as well...

Reply to
dpb

On my eye glasses, I pulled the screws out, and dabbed clear nail polish into the hole. Right before bed, so I wouldn't have nail polish vapor near my eyes. So far, they havn't loosened up. I can't remember how long ago was that. But it was some time after the Truman administration. Might have been after Clinton adminstration, too.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I think Krazy and Super are both same. Cyanoacrillate.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Both are CA based, true, but they are low grade CA products that don't work nearly as well as what you will find at a hobby shop that caters to model airplanes. Brands such as ZAP, Mercury, Balsa USA, Handibond and Bob Smith are far and away superior products that actually perform the intended functions.

CA will not reliably bond metal to metal, but does work fairly well in the thread-locker function. The "thin" formula is dribbly, but wicks into the threads while thicker formulas like "Krazy glue" just sit on the surface and crack off as soon as you touch them.

Krazy glue doesn't even stick your skin together all that much... Try some REAL CA sometime.

Reply to
mkirsch1

Now that's an idea. I guess it didn't occur to me because "glasses" and "hammer" don't immediately go together in my mind. ;-)

It is a bit of a funny image. There is this old guy with faltering vision and shakey hands trying to fix his reading glasses by aiming a center punch at the end of a tiny bolt attached to said reading glasses with a hammer in the other hand... Visions of glass shards. Fortunately, the "glasses: are plastic.

Maybe I'll try the loctite first. ;-)

Reply to
Square Peg

Wow. I never heard of these things. I'll get one and give it a try.

Reply to
Square Peg

Does that work? Because it's just sticky enough?

Reply to
Square Peg

It works, but not nearly as well as Loctite, which was specifically designed for exactly the purpose you want: to prevent screws from working loose. Nail polish dries hard and brittle, and will eventually crack and fall away, allowing the screws to loosen. Loctite will remain slightly flexible for years. It's five bucks at an auto parts store. One drop per screw is all you need.

Reply to
Doug Miller
[snip]

It works better on plastic. It'll come off the skin in a couple of days (with a layer or 2 of skin).

Don't glue your eyelids together :-)

Reply to
Gary H

On plastic, it'll come apart when the object is bumped. It's really brittle.

Acetone works a lot better for bonding plastic. It temporarily melts the plastic and when it dries, you're left with a monolythic plastic structure.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Reply to
Bennett Price

Plastic wrap is a good idea. I plan to use just a tiny drop on a toothpick or something and not get any on the lenses, but I never plan to super-glue my fingers together, either.

Reply to
Square Peg

getting any kind of adhesive on the lens would be bad.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Yes it works like just like small screw Loctite except you don't have to run to the hardware store and spend any money It is best to clean and dry the screw and nut with alcohol before assembly.

Reply to
tnom

ya think?

Reply to
Square Peg

This tool is usually in a car thief's toolbox. A quick almost silent way to shatter a side window of a prospective car. Also something you don't want a cop to see you have. Many cops think tools like this are only used by car thieves.

Reply to
tnom

You can get arrested (or hassled) for just having such a tool? Being right next to a slim jim and a crow bar probably wouldn't help, then?

I didn't plan to keep it in the car (except on the way home from the hardware store) or on my person (except when actually shattering the lenses in my glasses). I guess I could always show the cop my repaired (or shattered) glasses! ;-)

Reply to
Square Peg

Hold on there, pardner. It ain't a DIY project without at least two (2) trips to the hardware store. ;-)

Heck, I was just gonna squirt the Loctite right in there without even taking the nut off. (Unless the instructions say otherwise and my wife is helping/watching.) I always drop those little buggers on the carpet or lawn and can never find them.

Reply to
Square Peg