Any way to help cedar hedge grow more leafs?

Any way to help a cedar hedge sprout more leafs? Is there something I can spray it that will promote leafs to sprout from branches? My neighbor hired somebody to trim the hedges, and they trimmed off quite a bit more than I would have wanted. They were only supposed to do my neighbour's side but they did mine as well. There are areas where I can see through the hedge into my neighbor's yard. So I'd like to "thicken up" the hedges if possible.
Thank you.
Fertilizer, water and time.