Any Way To Boost Hot Water Pressure

Hi. Currently I have a coal fired EFM stoker that is one zone with hot water cast iron radiators which I love. My problem Is my hot water pressure. Our town supply has older pipes to begin with and I have newer installed all copper to city main. And copper throughout house. But shouldn't the hot be at least the same pressure as the cold. Is there a way to coax more or is the coil within the EFM leaking maybe or is there a setting to increase the gravity pressure within the house on a 2 story house that is to make more hot water come out faster. Nick

Reply to
Nick

The domestic hot water (showers, etc.) is not related to the pressure/flow in the heating system. The coil in the boiler isolates the two.

If the coil is old, there is a good chance that it is clogged with lime deposits.

Is there a tempering valve associated with the coil which might be clogged or defective?

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Thanks Jim for Speedy reply as your name states. Actually I had an acid wash performed through it about 14 months ago by a certified plumber in part of my annual cleaning and inspection of unit and he said all was fine. Now for the tempering valve. I'm not sure what you mean or where is it on the system. I have a big valve on top what I would call a gravity feed valve in case the circulation valve would fail I guess. And on the back there is an Aquastat thermostat box and a mixer valve which has always been shut between the cold intake and outgoing hot. Other than that I have no idea. It is coal fed but that would not make the difference as the water is hot enough just pressure. Would a new coil help or can something be boosted to assist in the pressure increase. Nick

Reply to
Nick

Jim: Forgot there is a blow off valve which was replaced a few years ago with the gauge reading an altimeter of 10-12 psi and the blow set at around 20 it looks like. Is that what you mean. Nick

Reply to
Nick

"a mixer valve which has always been shut between the cold intake and outgoing hot. " I'm just guessing, but this sounds like the tempering valve. It's possible it's clogged, restricting flow, but more likely is the coil. Acid wash is sometimes effective but it can be hard to tell if it worked.

Oh, and the big valve on top is the pressure relief only for the water inside the boiler, not for the domestic hot water.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Old pipes can calcify reducing pressure I have had that problem.

Reply to
mark Ransley

Once again thanks Mark & Gary. I will give the advice a shot. Nick

Reply to
Nick