Any water pump guru's here??

Would a 1 1/2 HP centrifugal pool pump work to pull water (aprox 3 - 4ft in elavation) from lake for watering lawn and garden?? RM~

Depends on the pump. Some will. Elevation is one factor, but distance can be too. Are you talkign having the pump right above the water or sucking through a hose that slopes that 4 feet elevation over 200 feet away?
Be sure to put a foot valve on too.

I purchased it at an estate sale, thought it was a shallow well pump until I got it home and read the fine print. Duh! Anyhow, don't have a real big investment ($10) but it's in a like new condition. I had planned to set pump in a storage building about 20ft from lake and I doubt the rise in elevation is much more than 3 ft..
Thanks to all who responded, Rob Mills
PS, It's a Dayton 9K614 1 &1/2 HP 110/230 volt pump. Actually it looks husker than the shallow well pumps sold at HD and is not made of plastic.

A above ground pool pump is below the surface level of the water so that that type of pump need not be good at creating a vacuum at the inlet.
I would think that that type of pump would have a difficult time self priming at four feet. Try to locate the pump as close to the level of the water as possible.
snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net says...
>> Would a 1 1/2 HP centrifugal pool pump work to pull >> water (aprox 3 - 4ft in elavation) from lake for >> watering lawn and garden?? RM~
> A above ground pool pump is below the surface level of > the water so that that type of pump need not be good at > creating a vacuum at the inlet.
> I would think that that type of pump would have a > difficult time self priming at four feet. Try to locate > the pump as close to the level of the water as possible.
Yes, I think that's right.
I use my pool's own pump to empty it when that needs to be done, and once it gets started, it has no problem draining it all the way down - six feet plus maybe a foot the pump is elevated above the top of the pool. But if it ever loses its prime, it can't get it back beyond a foot or so down.
When it's driving air, the pump's impeller just can't create enough vacuum to lift water very far.
But may should work ok if you put it close to lake level and let it push the water uphill.