Any value to dead "cordless" batteries?!

Somebody on ebay is selling 2 18v Dewalt batteries that will not hold any charge. 4 people have bid them up to $10.
I know you can have batteries rebuilt, but could it possibly be worthwhile to buy them (with shipping) for that purpose? Or is there another use I am unaware of for dead batteries? I may go borrow some from a recycling center and put em up.

Perhaps they believe they can cannabalize one pack's cells to repair the other one.
Then again,they may have auction fever.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Spare cases for rebuilding is my guess. Primecell will rebuild them with ni-cads for $48 or with NIMH for $72 New batteries are about $65 or so. Toss in shipping and not a big savings.

I've repaired several. I canabalized one pack that had 15 cells. Two of those cells were bad and I tossed those. I see that I have 9 cells left, so I've used these to repair 4 other cells in other battery packs.
Usually, only one cell is really bad in a battery pack when it quits. The way I check them is try to charge the defective pack and then wait an hour or two and measure the voltage with a digital multimeter. If it is below 1.1 volt then replace it.

All four of my Ebay purchases have been successful. I have not had a single non-shipment. Do you check the seller ratings?
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Then you have nobody to blame but yourself.
--
Regards,
Ignorance. It's a terrible thing. Some folks overcome it, and others do not.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

They are a very good clue to reliability and honesty of the seller. Same goes for the comments that are collected from satisfied or unsatisfied buyers,on each seller.

Yes,you do have to shop wisely and keep an eye on shipping charges. I noticed that when I was checking out cat-back exhaust systems. Shipping equalled or exceeded the cost of the item in many cases,far more than what was necessary.
And I have lots of experience that many people are clueless in packing something valuable for shipping,including many of these MailBox type of stores.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

Heh! Last weekend a seller with a positive rating of 37 put up a high-end laptop for a one-day auction. Checking his ratings showed that all were from him being a buyer for items under $5.00 (lawn gnomes, figurines, paperback books, etc.).
He evidently thought a good positive rating would influence buyers too.
You need to watch what you buy and from whom.
I have over 250 successful transactions. I only got screwed once for an item that didnt show. I contacted Paypal and they got my money back.
I've also sold a bunch of stuff on there too. Really cant complain about any of it. Some of the stuff I sold was headed for the trash but someone out there wanted it and I got some money out of it.
Tom
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Well, if one doesn't use tools available... :(
I do (check) religiously (so to speak) and haven't ever had a bad experience. Any reputable seller will give shipping const assurance and it's easy enough to facotr that cost into the max you're willing to bid...
Best buy so far was < $5k for a 40-ft JLG boom lift that's been a life-saver on the barn roof, much else...

I had a guy non ship, but was afraid to leave a negative seller rating.
You see, when you do that, the seller turn around and makes up some lie and leaves a negative rating on you.
Ebay lets them do it, so don't ever leave negative ratings on someone.

I wouldn't hesitate. I once got retaliatory feedback from a shitty seller. You can respond to feedback and offer to explain if other ebayers want to inquire. If you only have negative feedback that is obviously retaliatory it shows.
And one of the Judge Judy wannabes awarded a defamation settlement against an ebay buyer who intentionally left false feedback with the intent to effect future sales of the seller. They can't get too carried away with false negative feedback.
I did complain to ebay about the retaliatory feedback.... did absolutely NO good. So I responded to the feedback.

do it.

There are TONS of crap sold on Ebay that make no sense to buy! One stripper sold one of her BREAST IMPLANTS,and got more than $60,000 bucks for it,and then there's the toasted cheese sandwich with the image of JC on it....
People sell dead hard drives by the box,too.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

batteries and 1 dead battery with eack pack you buy.
What you supposedly get, one your done, is a better battery than the original. Plus, NIMH is better than most NiCad and will last longer (Battery lasts longer not run time) I think you may also get a large MiAh (spelling?)which means longer runtime.
I had one Milwalkee 18v done by them w/o problems. I have not compared it to a factory battery though. I am expecting to get back 2 Porter Cable 14.4v upgraded to NiMH any day now. Cheaper than replacing in the PC case!