Any tricks for getting "contractor" discount on supplies

"Set"? On a gross income of $52K per year? Upper thirties, at best, after taxes and expenses... and you think that's "set"??

I don't believe you're an engineer. I think you might be a college kid studying engineering, putting yourself through school by working part-time at Starbucks. I can see where a naive college kid might imagine that a gross income of a thousand dollars a week is a lot of money -- but anyone really employed full-time as a professional would never make that mistake.

Reply to
Doug Miller

That's because you think the building code requires something it doesn't. Mostly, a house just has to not be actually dangerous. Since yours hasn't killed anyone, it's probably ok.

There is, in the US, no upper limit on the number of receptacles you can have one one circut. There is a lower limit on the number of available amps you can have in a room, but that's something trivial like 3 watts/sqft.

Why should circuts and rooms correspond? It makes far more sense to me to have WALLS and circuts correspond.

Reply to
Goedjn

From a homeowner point of view, it would be nice to be able to shut off the "left bedroom" breaker and not interfere with other stuff.

In my house, for instance, I have to remember that "these two outlets are on that circuit, but the other one on that wall is this other circuit, while that one over there shares a circuit with the outside plugs and is thus GFCI-protected, while the lights are on this other circuit altogether". One room, five circuits.

It made things really interesting when I wanted to replace the outlets, as it involved basically mapping out the entire house. I can't just label the breakers, I need a floorplan with outlets and matching circuits marked on it.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Take a few minutes to remove all of your receptical/switch covers .. .. .. trace them back to their appropriate breaker, then write the breaker number on the back of the cover plate & put it back on .. .. .. you'll never again have to trace back an outlet. Just look on the back .. .. .. very simple.

Reply to
Anonymous

Sounds to Me like both ideas have merit..Letting a room determine a circuit would simplify things for the user,,but,,if a problem developes with that circuit then all the outlets might be dead in there till it's fixed..Sounds kinda like 6 of one and half dozen of another..An Electrician may well have the last/best say on it tho.. Dean

Reply to
Dean

I have money. Last P&L statement was $3.2 million. And that's not counting the living trust where most of the family money rests. I am 58, and have been retired for two and a half years now. I own property and real estate in three states. The stock market is a sucker bet, so, I am content to get from 12% to 25% on first trust deeds, placed through a CFP I know from high school days. I netted $72k on that last year. Then, with income properties, pension, and other income streams, it runs about $180k a year with HEFTY business deductions.

Last year, I had to pay the big total of $7800 income tax. I drive a $38k new Dodge truck, which I was allowed to totally deduct last year as a business expense. Almost every lunch I eat, all the gas I buy, and every meal I eat at a restaurant goes down as a business expense.

I travel a lot. I go to Mazatlan, Maui, Cabo, and fishing a couple of times a year on the Kenai. I sleep until I am ready to get up. I own ATVs, boats, and so many guns I don't have count. I have a fully equipped 1500 sf shop. I camp and fish and do photography. Life is good.

How you doing?

We can all talk about what we're GOING to do. I'm only interested in what's REALLY happening.

You're not going to believe this, but then, I really don't give a shit about clueless twits like you.

With your attitude, you'll smart off to the wrong fellow, and you'll be worm food. I doubt if you live to be thirty.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

tsk, tsk, tsk...such an attitude. Sounds like you are doing good...why are you getting so upset when I am pointing out common knowledge? Anyone that I have asked about contractors has the same complaints as me, so it seems to be a pervasive problem. Perhaps someone should pass some truth in advertising type laws for contractors so everything can be compared apples-to-apples. I was complaining about my bad luck with contractors. I am stating logical facts and my observations. It seems like I have touched a nerve. Perhaps you are haunted by nightmares of ripping people off?

Reply to
Nathan

Yeah, I agree with you. Though wouldn't the best solution be to have two circuits per room. It would cost a bit more, especially with the price of copper now days, but theye would always be room to expand. And if you needed to work on a circuit, you still have the other circuit to provide light or operate tools.

It really comes down to how much money the customer wants to spend...unfortunately most people only care about the lowest price, not good quality.

Reply to
Nathan

What is it with this "room to expand" crap? If you want more receptacles on a circut, you stick them in. the only time there's a problem is if you're adding enough equipment to push the ampacity of your breakers, in which case, you probably need a dedicated circut somewhere anyway.

Reply to
Goedjn

Please excuse the rambling nature of my post but please read it all. It could lead to some good discussion

This was in response to someone complaining about how much a repair cost (HVAC or Plumbing). It is rambling, and I am not going to go back and correct my grammar, sorry. I hope I get some of points across.

Unless you want to deal with a company who will be gone in 1-5 years, you will pay more to get a job done properly, and have a company stand behind their work. You have to consider what is the overhead of that company. What is the national average time it take to perform that task. For an above average shop certified techs, clean new trucks, ongoing training, planning on longevity in the industry, purchase of all new tools and gadgets to keep up with the new and more complex machinery, lawyers, accountants, consultants, insurances, taxes. Out of an 8 hour day we may only be able to collect for

4- 6 of them. How many families is the owner of that company responsible to feed and insure.Wait we need to advertise $2-10,000 per month. Licenses, Trade organizations, Chamber of Commerce, Lease/Mortgage, utilities, Cell Phones $800/month, survive during seasonal slow times (overhead doesn't change), You notice I neglected to put the owner/general manager/ manager of every hat in business, did not have a salary in there. Trust me the best tech make more than we do for quite a while. We are trying to make a 5-10% net profit at the end of the year. Most Companies out there make less than 1-3%. Most companies making that small net will fail with in 5 years.

The average wage of an above average technician is $20-30/hr + about 28% for taxes and insurances, plus about $6/ hour family health insurance. A company with over three trucks on the street requires at least one full time person to run the office $15-20/ hour. Hopefully she has bookkeeping experience, if not (sometimes if she does) you will need someone to do the books at least once per week, another $100/week. We have a drastic shortage of trained personnel in our field, despite these wages. In addition we need extremely knowledgeable, computer literate, clean, and organized personnel. Most of our employees make more than alot of college graduates.

I hope I am getting my point across. There are so many hidden costs, that the customer doesn't see or have no fathomable knowledge of having to pay. And lets admit it, the customer has to cover all of the costs.

..and if you use a guy who is doing it on the side, it is really wrong on a couple of notes. Does he have the insurance and license to perform work on your you. I know he is a freind or friend of a friend, What is going to happen when you have to sue him for burning a aprt of your house, or falling through a ceiling, or flooding your basement. What happens to you if he breaks a hand or foot while working in your house, and can't work for 6 weeks and your work is half done. Where is that guy going to be when it breaks down. How many of the parts he is using are stolen from his employers vehicle, what kind of a warrantee can he give you. what kind of inferior equipment is he using, because that's all they sell to moonlighters. There also companies that do business like this. They lack the advanced training they need now a days to keep current with the new developments in our industry. You would be shocked if you knew the amount of repairs we have to go on to fix improperly installed or set-up equipment. These are the guys that will bid $1-2000 less on installations, and the ones who can't go back to fix it when it breaks.

Do you know how much it costs to make a hamburger, or a cup of coffee? It would probably knock your socks off if you knew the net profits on that stuff. How about new cars. How many hours do really spend in your cars? How long do you keep it, how much did it cost? Does the dealership send someone from their establishment to fix or maintain it, you have to drive it to the dealership or repair person. What kind of net profits do you think they are making.

Compare that to your home comfort system. You or someone in your home is with your system almost 24/7. It costs 1/2 to a third of what it costs to purchase or maintain as your auto did. Yet you want to skimp on costs, you want the least amount of health saving accessories if any, you don't want to invest on Comfort Issues that can be done once and improve the overall quality of life for everyone in the home. By the way the Home Comfort System will last 5-10 times longer than that new car you bought. I welcome any debate about what I have just said. Keep it in debate rather than attacks and look forward to discussing this with one and all, but I will PLONK you if you just act like jerk

Reply to
Bob Pietrangelo

Unless my electrical guide book is wrong, it says that you consider each outlet as 180 watts and if I recall you are allowed to add 10-12 outlets on one 15A circuit. Every circuit in my house has around 10 outlets and 2 lights. Wouldn't that be against code if I was to add any more circuits? Thats why I keep ranting about room to expand.

Reply to
Nathan

"Bob Pietrangelo" wrote

Good post, Bob. You made many excellent points. I used to try to explain many of the same points you made to customers who questioned my prices... I now say "How much would YOU charge ME to leave your wife and kids at the dinner table or the family room, get in your car, drive to MY house, go into MY basement, and stick your head into MY furnace and fix it??"

Reply to
Bob_Loblaw

How about the people who can't spare the 3 minutes it takes to shop vac 20 years' worth of cobwebs and spider eggs off the pipes they want a plumber to work on?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

This is a very self-serving bunch of information. No customer needs to know any of it. They have a job to be done, and they can choose whomever can do it competently, and at the best price. All of your details are the business of the contractor, and if he can't manage them, then he goes out of business. That is the nature of business.

My community has several very competent plumbers, electricians and carpenters who find no need to overcharge. As a result, they get all the business that they can handle. People know that they will be charged a fair price, so nobody hesitates to call them. These guys don't get rich, but they make a very comfortable living. One of them doesn't even have a yellow-pages listing. The word-of-mouth recommendations fill his schedule.

...and you can plonk whomever you wish to plonk. Nobody cares who you plonk.

Greg

Reply to
Greg

Plonk!!

Reply to
Jeffrey Lebowski

Huh? A customer doesn't need to know that this guy just got his license, is going to use illegal alien subs with no industrial insurance, and has underbid the next contractor by $235,000 to build your house.

Customers like that deserve (like you) to get whatever befalls them and their "best price" mentality.

Steve

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Greg wrote

Ummm...that's sort of his point....

Who's talking about over-charging? Were talking about customers who complain about legitimate prices.

Something wrong with getting rich by choosing to step away from the comfortable, secure, cheque-for-life union job, and putting your home and family life in a precarious position in order to take a chance for a better life?

Word-of-mouth is great, but even established companies like McDonalds, Home Depot, Wal Mart, etc...still advertise. Think maybe they know something about marketing??

I care! Please post pictures of the one you're plonking!

Reply to
Bob_Loblaw

The salesman for a a local radio station was making a call on a hardware store owner. The owner said he had been in the same place for fifteen years and he didn't think he needed to advertise. The Salesman asked him if the church at the end of the block was there when he opened the church being over two hundred years old. The owner said of course it was. Salesman asked why do you suppose they still ring their bell every Sunday.

-- Tom Horne

Reply to
Thomas Horne

Depends. Where are you?

To the best of my knowledge, the NEC imposes no such limit. Assorted city codes and/or the Canadian code might.

Whether you SHOULD add another circut when you're adding outlets depends mostly on why you're adding the outlets in the first place. If you're trying to find a place to plug in a treadmill, I think I'd add a new line. If you're just trying to move a lamp from one end of the couch to the other, why bother?

Reply to
Goedjn

Different goals. Mcdonalds is prepared to grow infinately. Many contractors are perfectly happy with a 3-year backlog of jobs for them and whatever size crew they're comfortable managing. Not everyone wants to be multinational.

Reply to
Goedjn