Any Tips On Finding A Good Bed To Buy

I couldn't find a newsgroup to cover this so if anyone knows of one, let me know. I am in the market for a new bed. There are so many choices it boggles the mind. Is one brand better than the other? Sealy, Serta, or Simmons? What does one look for in a mattress that will be comfortable and last for the money.

Dave

Reply to
DS

Dave- there aren't really as many choices as you've been lead to believe, at least not amongst the well-known name brands...

Many retail outlets, along with dial-a-bed type sellers purposely have the manufacturers re-brand their product so it can be sold under a name unique to that seller only, thus making it impossible for the consumer to accurately compare prices between sellers without going nuts.

Modern-day mattress salesmen have become the new "used car sheysters" of days past. Find a mattress that you're comfortable with and don't be taken in by wild claims of less nighttime movement, less snoring, better supported spinal columns and the like.

Just find something you like and put this thread to rest!

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

do a google search on newsgroups we just discussed this to death about 2 months ago

Wayne

Reply to
wayne

Buying a mattress set can be rather mind boggling. Consumer Reports has a good article about this that is worth reading. There is a wide price range for the same mattress set, depending on where you buy. I advise that the mattress set be tried out for 5-10 minutes with the same person you sleep (with if there is one) to get a feeling of the firmness and comfort before you buy. Not sure if the salesperson will allow it, but it is worth seeing the interior quality especially with lesser-known brands.

Reply to
Phisherman

Very true, HA HA! Thanks for being so straight forward. It truly is mind-boggling if you visit a few bedding stores and get the various sales pitches. And the prices they want for a simple mattress these days. Bloody ridiculous. You would thing they were selling a complex engine or something. You gave excellent advice. Thanks! Des

Reply to
Des Perado

Tempur-Pedic. The best bed I have.

RB

DS wrote:

Reply to
RB

I went to a matress store, took off my shoes, and tried out a bunch of them. Got one that felt the most even pressure. Not sure that's scientific, but it worked for my night sleep.

Reply to
alt-hvac Moderated

It's probably a good idea to buy from someone that offers a in-house time trial. We just bought a mattress and got 30 days to decide if it was the one we want. The salesman said we get two chances to choose, but with research and somewhat knowing what we liked we made the right decision the first time As mentioned all the different stores have their own name game going with manufacturers, so we did our comparison shopping by firmness, number if coils per sq. ft. and coil wire size. We bought a Stearns and Foster, medium firm California King just over $1000...............ouch.

Dave

Reply to
David Babcock