Any suggestions for repairing a scratched music CD?

Page 2 of 2
Bud Frede wrote on 9/2/2016 :

I know, the company I worked for had us QC them, but I never had to repair one or align one. Helical scanning mechanisms can be very 'picky' as to alignment.

You can use the desired tape and align them to that, but if you use an official alignment tape you may even make matters worse. I imagine it can be even worse with the smaller size of the DAT mechanisms.

[...]

No mattresses, molded foam, and egg cartons glued to the walls - amateurs. :)

Ha ha ha, that's a new one on me.

Audio diplomacy. I had friends with 'boom boxes' turned way up, Exclaiming how great it sounds, and I just couldn't listen to them. Diplomacy only goes just so far.
On 8/29/2016 2:18 AM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

If you bought it from Amazon, they provide free access to and download of mp3 versions of all the tunes on the CD via their AutoRip program.
If you have Amazon Prime, you have free access to hundreds of thousands of tunes, and you might find the tracks on your CD there.
snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

also depends upon where the damage is at.
the plastic surface can be repaired (ground and polished again a few times) the mirrored surface with the pits that record the data, if that gets damaged (other side from the clear plastic which has the label or printing over it, some are protected better than others) then you may not be able to get a good copy from it no matter what.
holding the disc up to the light will sometimes reveal a spot where damage has happened after manufacture...
i used to run a cleaner for the library which reground surfaces and repolished them. zzzzz.
songbird

One thing I did not mention is that this CD (and several more) were in a flood. That's probably why the scratches are there. The container was full of muddy water and sand. The label came off from the water too. I was amazed it played at all, but I did leave it dry for several days, after I cleaned it. The other CDs were nothing special, so I just tossed them in the trash.
On 8/29/2016 3:18 AM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

Toothpaste is good. I used to use it to buff up a plastic watch crystal. I would avoid solvents as polycarbonate is soluble in many.