Any suggestions for opening up this fence for infrequent passage?

here is a totally different approach to the problem...

you need a radio remote control for the pump so you don't have to go back and forth so many times

Radio Shack makes one, you may need to get creative to wire it to your pump.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Construct a remote pump switch. Put this other pump switch on the end of a long electrical cord. After spotting the leak, flip the switch you carried to the roof with you.

Pump off.

Do your thing. Flip the switch to activate the pump

Reply to
HeyBub

On topic, If this were my lot, I'd go to the hardware store, and ask the guys there. Swimming pool stores also deal with fences, and gates. Got to be something you can put in.

I didn't put the fence in, but it's a wholly enclosed property, and it has a pool, so the fence is needed for insurance reasons. Plus it's in the mountains so there are plenty of wild animals. Plus the dogs need to

stay inside (although mine won't travel too far outside the fence when they get out).

The problem with the ladder is mainly that it's dangerous because it's hard to secure on the steep hillside; and I'm very likely to tip over.

Normally I don't even need to get to the solar panels. But, when I'm fixing them, there's a lot of travel to the pumps to turn them on and off (since you need them on to find the leak, and then you turn them off to fix the leak, and then you turn them on to test, and then move on to the

next leak).

I have tried, in the past, *marking* the leaks, but nothing seems to stay put that I've tried. I tried nail polish (but it won't stick to the wet plastic); I've tried chalk (it smears so you can't find the exact hole).

I even tried poking brightly colored pins near the holes (that works, but it's a pain).

So, all I *really* want is to get through the fence in an easy way rather infrequently. I know I can just cut it and wire it back up; but that's messy. So I was wondering what was out there to make temporary gates for

those corral style fences (as shown below):

Stormin Mormon

In earlier post, I mentioned the idea of a swimming pool ladder.

Not as suited for big guys like us (I displace about 250 tons). But something like this could be made out of lumber, and painted.

It's hard to see in that picture, but, I'd guess there is a foot or maybe even two feet drop between the uphill ladder legs and the downhill ladder legs.

I generally brace the ladder around that sturdy post you see in that picture; but it's taking a lot of wear and tear as I weigh well over 250 pounds and I have to go up and over that ladder many times to fix the dozen leaks in the solar panels.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

From what I've seen of your fence, you could use a half dozen snap clips

p---no-3-0.jpg

to secure the fence. Cut the fence wires, one over the other. Maybe two or three links from a fence post. Make your own gate, and several snap clips to close the fence when not needed. Put the clips on the longer section of fence. Pull the fence around, and use the clips to hold it open.

[...]

That's interesting!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

you need a radio remote control for the pump so you don't have to go back and forth so many times

Radio Shack makes one, you may need to get creative to wire it to your pump.

Mark

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That's the whole point--it _isn't_ temporary; the stile saves the pita you complained of of having to get a ladder 'cuz it's there when you need it already.

Anything that climbs it afa wildlife will be going across whenever it wants anyway; if it's bipeds you're concerned about then it's a problem w/ a gate as well...

Reply to
dpb

What I like about that idea is the light weight; otherwise, it's the same as the ladder I'm using now (although the transition from side to side may be easier with the much wider steps of the swimming pool ladder).

I'm gonna see if I can enlist the wife on that endeavor today! (She's usually in "her" kitchen making something tasty - and doesn't normally cross into "my" domain, which is fixing stuff outside.)

Reply to
Danny D.

Hmmm... there "is" a remote pump switch (in the controller in the house); but I don't know how to tap into it.

Reply to
Danny D.

Actually, I was going to tackle the repair job today, and I made some overtures to the wife to that regard.

She is more of a 1950's style wife, where she takes care of the kitchen and grandkids and cleaning and ironing the laundry, etc., while I am the (sole) handyman for fixing and repairing things.

But, she likes swimming more than I do, so, and she doesn't have anywhere near the insulation that I have, so, I'll see if the portable phones on the Intercom setting will travel the distance to the equipment.

Reply to
Danny D.

Pool ladders are often tubular aluminum, so light weight is true. Might need to put some concrete patio stones on the down hill end, cut them into the hill so they are level.

My Dad has had success hiring teenage boys from the neighborhood. In this application, a boy could be about 95% handheld video game, and about 5% having to perk up, answer the radio, and turn a valve. Might be a win win situation.

What I like about that idea is the light weight; otherwise, it's the same as the ladder I'm using now (although the transition from side to side may be easier with the much wider steps of the swimming pool ladder).

I'm gonna see if I can enlist the wife on that endeavor today! (She's usually in "her" kitchen making something tasty - and doesn't normally cross into "my" domain, which is fixing stuff outside.)

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Hmmm... there "is" a remote pump switch (in the controller in the house); but I don't know how to tap into it.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yes, perhaps your wife can be your helper. Failing that, if I needed a helper, I'd make some phone calls into my church congregation, and see who has a teenage boy who needs a few dollars. And who can follow instructions and tolerate some boredom. Who knows, you may be training your employee for when you go into solar panel repair business.

Actually, I was going to tackle the repair job today, and I made some overtures to the wife to that regard.

She is more of a 1950's style wife, where she takes care of the kitchen and grandkids and cleaning and ironing the laundry, etc., while I am the

(sole) handyman for fixing and repairing things.

But, she likes swimming more than I do, so, and she doesn't have anywhere near the insulation that I have, so, I'll see if the portable phones on the Intercom setting will travel the distance to the equipment.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You forget about the dogs he wants to keep in? He has to use an open/close type gate.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

That's a good example of what I suggested. You'll need to run that wire ac ross from the top of the posts before you cut the fence or you'll have some very slack fence both directions from the gate. Requires you to duck unde r the wire every time yougo through though.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

On 6/21/2013 10:06 AM, Harry K wrote: ...

Nope, no forget--his OP'ing said nothing about dogs (or any other critters for that matter)...just that he was tired of hauling ladders to the spot.

Then he should do so...

Reply to
dpb

He mentioned the dogs and other critters in his OP.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

I went to Harbor Freight today, to pick up the snap clips, but they didn't have any in stock.

I've tried all sorts of glues; but the water is under pressure, and the rubber is not conducive to glues.

So what I do is order plugs by the hundreds from McMaster-Carr:

Then, with a hollowed out wine cork, I burn an insertion hole in the center; and then I cut open the leaking tubes; and I disable the entire tube by shoving one or two plugs in the upstream part of the tube (above the hole) and another set of plugs in the downstream part of the tube (below the hole).

In the pictures above, the five longer plugs are the manufacturer's plugs (at about 50 cents each!) while the shorter plugs are from McMaster-Carr (at about 10 cents each).

Since I use a couple hundred, it adds up.

(Don't ask me what I think of the Fafco Revolution Solar Panels, which each costs about $350.)

Reply to
Danny D.

I play "college education" with them all the time. They tell me what to do, and I do it.

For example, when I'm spraying weeds with my 5-gallon batches of glyphosate, I hand them a spray can of paint, and they spray where they want me to spray.

Of course, everything takes ten times longer, but, I try to teach them while making it fun.

But, when it comes to "real" work, they're too young to help.

Reply to
Danny D.