Any suggestions for opening up this fence for infrequent passage?

Page 1 of 3
I need to fix a few dozen leaks in my solar panels again:

In order to do so, I have to climb the fence lots of times:

I'm considering just cutting the fence at this point where it's not even a chain link style, but it's a corral style fence:

Do you have any suggestions for how to put an infrequently used gate at that corral-style location?
On 6/20/2013 12:06 AM, Danny D. wrote:

Build a stile instead?

Ladder thingie from a swimming pool? Derby Dad will have plenty of helpful suggestions which are totally not what you asked. You can then encourage him by providing more information a bit at a time. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .

Build a stile instead?

"dpb" wrote in message
On 6/20/2013 12:06 AM, Danny D. wrote:

Build a stile instead?
The type gate referred to by Harry K is used all over the western states. Easy access on ranch roads. WW

On Thu, 20 Jun 2013 08:02:22 -0500, dpb wrote:

I had to look up what a stile was: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stile
I like the idea but wonder how it's different than a step ladder?
Since my fence is on a steep unstable slope, I guess one advantage of the stile over the ladder is that I can build the downslope legs much longer than the upslope legs.
http://woodlandstewardship.org/wp-content/uploads/ch13/images/figures/figure13-28.gif

Wouldn't a stile defeat the purpose of pool protection? Also it might make a nice thruway for animals.
On Thu, 20 Jun 2013 12:06:45 -0400, Kurt Ullman wrote:

Well, as I had said, I don't see how a stile is "much" different than the stepladder; however, the one potential advantage of a stile is that I could build the downslope legs much longer than the upslope legs.
But building a stile seems like a LOT more work than just putting a gate (somehow) in.
The advantage, of course, of the stile (or ladder) is that it's only temporary. So pool protection nor animals would be an issue once the stile or ladder were removed.

You were previously trying to drag branches up a hill and I suggested stairs.
If you buy some of those stair 2x12s you can use 4 of them to make a staircase going up and over the fence. Later on you can take them apart, lay them on the ground and build a stair on the hillside.
--
Dan Espen

On Thu, 20 Jun 2013 12:18:23 -0400, Dan Espen wrote:

I *do* have a *lot* of places where stairs would be useful!

Come to think of it, you don't want pre-cut since you are dealing with a variety of angles, but I still think you could make some stairs and them salvage them for other uses.
Maybe just get 2x6 or 2x8 and nail in some tread supports and treads. But make it strong, sounds like you're carrying some weight around.
--
Dan Espen

On 6/20/2013 11:12 AM, Danny D. wrote:

That's the whole point--it _isn't_ temporary; the stile saves the pita you complained of of having to get a ladder 'cuz it's there when you need it already.
Anything that climbs it afa wildlife will be going across whenever it wants anyway; if it's bipeds you're concerned about then it's a problem w/ a gate as well...

On Friday, June 21, 2013 5:38:15 AM UTC-7, dpb wrote:

You forget about the dogs he wants to keep in? He has to use an open/close type gate.
Harry K
On 6/21/2013 10:06 AM, Harry K wrote: ...

Nope, no forget--his OP'ing said nothing about dogs (or any other critters for that matter)...just that he was tired of hauling ladders to the spot.

Then he should do so...

On Friday, June 21, 2013 9:43:47 AM UTC-7, dpb wrote:

He mentioned the dogs and other critters in his OP.
Harry K

Actually, he didn't mention critters until his second post. Just sayin'
Murray! Get a life! . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .

Actually, he didn't mention critters until his second post. Just sayin'
On Sun, 23 Jun 2013 23:19:57 +0000, DerbyDad03 wrote:

My mistake for not mentioning it at first.
The main intent was to make it easy to repair the plumbing on the other side of the fence once a year.
Keeping the four-footed critters inside is a secondary consideration (since someone had asked).
What's the purpose of the fence? If it's just a privacy fence, you can put in a gate of some kind. If it's keeping rabbits out, that's more complicated. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
I need to fix a few dozen leaks in my solar panels again:

In order to do so, I have to climb the fence lots of times:

I'm considering just cutting the fence at this point where it's not even a chain link style, but it's a corral style fence:

Do you have any suggestions for how to put an infrequently used gate at that corral-style location?
On Thu, 20 Jun 2013 09:17:06 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I didn't put the fence in, but it's a wholly enclosed property, and it has a pool, so the fence is needed for insurance reasons. Plus it's in the mountains so there are plenty of wild animals. Plus the dogs need to stay inside (although mine won't travel too far outside the fence when they get out).
The problem with the ladder is mainly that it's dangerous because it's hard to secure on the steep hillside; and I'm very likely to tip over.
Normally I don't even need to get to the solar panels. But, when I'm fixing them, there's a lot of travel to the pumps to turn them on and off (since you need them on to find the leak, and then you turn them off to fix the leak, and then you turn them on to test, and then move on to the next leak).
I have tried, in the past, *marking* the leaks, but nothing seems to stay put that I've tried. I tried nail polish (but it won't stick to the wet plastic); I've tried chalk (it smears so you can't find the exact hole). I even tried poking brightly colored pins near the holes (that works, but it's a pain).
So, all I *really* want is to get through the fence in an easy way rather infrequently. I know I can just cut it and wire it back up; but that's messy. So I was wondering what was out there to make temporary gates for those corral style fences (as shown below):

Sounds like you are not keeping in/out large farm animals. The dogs rule out a stile as they would not be deterred.
One cheap method if you still have a pieceof that fencing laying around.
1. run a wire from one post to the next as high up as you can and tighten it to maintain the tension on the rest of the fence. 2. Cut down far enough away from one post to wrap the cut end back around the post to keep it secure. 3. a wood stave with the loose panel end wrapped around it. Problem - due to fencing used up wrapping around the post and the stave you will probably be too short - you will need to splice in a piece of the fencing before installing the stave. Wire loops top and bottom to hold the stave when the gate is shut.
Cast is minimal if ou have the extra fencing. Rude, crude and there are hundreds of thousands of gates doe that way all over he world.
Harry K