Any such thing as in-place pipe dope?

Page 1 of 2

I had some bumbleheads doing some remodeling work awhile back, and recently I smelled propane near an exterior, above-ground run of black pipe they installed. Tested with soapy water, and sure enough one of the joints at an elbow is leaking. Getting this run apart so that I can get to the elbow joint will be a hassle. Is there any way to repair this without disassembly? Perhaps a liquid pipe dope that I could brush on, and would seep in well enough to seal the pinhole leak?
Thanks,
Kelly
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Loctite. Bleed off pressure first.
disclaimer: you know this isn't the "proper" method :-)
(Wonder what else they did??)

Kelly-
No "brush on" sealant that I am aware of that will solve this problem :(
Your best bet (really the "right" way) for a good fix since this is an above ground run.......
remove the bad joint & replace it using a union somewhere in the system, that will allow everything to be tightened as needed...that way you won't have to take "everything" apart.
Just near the leaking joint.
cheers Bob
Jim-
I was having trouble getting my post to "go" while you where giving your answer....which Loctite product are you suggesting?
BobK207 wrote:

Union couplings should be used only in situations where the pipe would need to be opened for service. Otherwise use a solid pipe coupling with left hand thread on one side.

Since this special coupling has left hand thread on one side, the end of the mating pipe must have left hand thread as well.
Sounds like all this left hand / right hand stuff would be more work than taking the whole thing apart.
Since I can't see the installation from here, I suggested adding a union ....since the area in question is above ground & accessible.
Using that left hand / right hand coupling sounds like a good way to booby trap some poor guy years from now. esp since the work is not covered up.

need to be opened for service<<<<<<<
Cite?
I've a fair amount of gas line work done & they always seem to put in a few unions along the way.
cheers Bob
As far as I know, there is NO such thing as a left hand pipe thread or fitting. It was a troll posting that. Not to mention, EVEN if there were such a thing, both ends would surely not tighten up at the same time.
--
Steve Barker

"BobK207" < snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com> wrote in message
Steve Barker wrote:

L/R couplings are in use today and trace origins to the very earliest days.
http://www.plumbingsupply.com/leftright.html
Well I stand corrected then. That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of. When a union would be so much better, why would you bother with searching out and procuring and using a morphidite like that?
--
Steve Barker

"Speedy Jim" < snipped-for-privacy@nls.net> wrote in message

Steve-
I thought the left / right coupling was a troll myself.....but then I remembered a situation where an old plumber suggested one YEARS ago......they went with a union cuz' they had the parts & pipe tools on site AND the union was going to be accessible. For hidden work you are required to use tapered threads only & thus would need a L/R coupling.
I checked on www.mcmaster.com and they do indeed sell them.
"If mcmaster doesn't have it, you probably don't need it"
cheers Bob
If it weren't accessible, you wouldn't be able to install the L/R......
--
Steve Barker

"BobK207" < snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com> wrote in message

The term "accessible" has a slightly different use in building. Anything is accessible with the right hammer, but normally, hidden joint between walls, under floors, etc cannot be joined with a union. It may be accessible during construction, but not after the room is finished.
Well, I can't imagine there being a use for the L/R system in new construction. It would be only in a repair. And if that is the case, you'd just take it apart at the "accessible" union, and take apart backwards to the problem area.
--
Steve Barker

"Edwin Pawlowski" < snipped-for-privacy@snet.net> wrote in message

Right about the new construction, but in the case of a repair, it can still be a very long run, with many turns, to the union. Why break 15 joints if you can break three and get the job done?
Because the same bumbleheads did the rest of the joints, too.

I hear ya.
--
Steve Barker

"Edwin Pawlowski" < snipped-for-privacy@snet.net> wrote in message
A question on sealing gas pipe was posted and to this I say:
Of course ,if you can weld, black pipe is the easiest stuff to weld you ever saw. Arc,mig,tig even oxy/acetylene will do nicely. Welded gas line is common in europe.
H.R.

They probably do find their widest use in repairs, whatever the case, there is sufficient demand for them that the manufacturers continue to produce them and supply them at resonable prices.
To the OP, if you decide to use one of these make sure that all the other threaded fittings on both sieds are tight beforehand, and use a long pipe wrench on the LH thread side to keep from loosening any exisiting joints. As you tighten the repair fitting it will want to loosen any RH threaded joints connected in line with the LH thread repair fitting.
--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf.lonestar.org
And, I suppose the external thread of the existing pipe has a left hand thread?
NOT!
This (below) is one really off the mark writing.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Better stick to locksmithing, you don't know something til you KNOW it.