ANY SMOOTHING FLOORING OVER CARPET?

I HAVE TEMPORARY QUARTERS IN AN APARTMENT WITH A HALF-A-BUTT KITCHEN WHILE MY HOME IS UNDER RENOVATION. NOT HAVING ANY ROOM IS ABOUT TO DRIVE ME BATTY, BUT SINCE IT IS A RENTAL, AM NOT ALLOWED TO MODIFY. MY SANITY DEMANDS THAT I INCREASE THE COUNTER SPACE AT LEAST A BIT. I CAN BRING IN A COUPLE OF TEMP CABINETS, A KITCHEN CART, ETC, AND TOP WITH A HUNK OF COUNTERTOP, BUT WOULD NEED TO COVER THE HORRID INDOOR/ OUTDOOR FLAT CARPET WITH SOME SORT OF SURFACE I CAN SPILL STUFF ON, ROLL A CART ON, AND SO FORTH. THE LOWE'S GUYS LAUGHED AT MY NOTION OF BUYING A BOX OF CHEAPO LAMINATE FLOORING....EVEN IF I AM WILLING TO PUT IT OVER PLYWOOD OR CEMENT BACKERBOARD, TO MAKE A MORE STABLE SURFACE. I DON'T CARE IF THIS FLOOR LASTS VERY LONG.....SIX OR EIGHT MONTHS IS PLENTY. I JUST WANT TO BE ABLE TO GET MY WHOLE BODY IN THE KITCHEN AT ONE TIME! AND ALSO TO BE ABLE TO USE A MICROWAVE WITHOUT HAVING TO PLACE IT ON A BOARD OVER THE SINK! I AM OPEN TO ANY IDEAS. DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS, ADVICE OR ENCOURAGE FOR ME? THANKS! LIZ

Reply to
CatWoman

STOP SCREAMING AT EVERYONE and make an effort to type normally. Use your shift key. There now, isn't that better?

Reply to
cybercat

I stopped reading after the first line....................

Reply to
Toddddddd

Well, golly.....sorry! Having rather poor vision, I find that it's a bit easier to read CAPS than lower case typeface. Didn't realize I was yelling. Thank you for the instructive info.

Reply to
CatWoman

Um, that was ME.

Reply to
cybercat

If I read this right, you want to put plywood over carpet and laminate flooring over the plywood. Somewhere you will probably create a tripping hazard not to mention the problem with opening doors. Lou

Reply to
Lou

Put the microwave in the living room. Or the pantry. Or on the porch. Or inside the oven. Or do like your grandmother did: don't use a microwave at all.

Reply to
HeyBub

Since it's a temporary apartment, I don't see why you really have to do anything. I would think you can put up with it. On the other hand, if you're willing to buy laminate, have you asked the owner if they would agree to allow it to be installed? Most owners would be happy to have that instead of carpet in a kitchen. If you show them a sample of something that looks attractive, I would think you'd have an excellent chance of them saying yes.

Reply to
trader4