any recomendations for a programable Thermostat

Any recommendations for a programmable thermostat? Currently I have a Bryant brand, non programmable connected to a gas furnace (no AC). What I am looking for, if possible, is something that can have multiple (well, 2) programs per day. For example -- turn the heat on 20 min before I wake up, shut off after 2 hours (I could do this manually before heading out the door, but would be nice if it could be done programmatically reducing the chance of leaving the furnace on all day) and then come back on 20 min before I come home from work. Any comments on Honeywell brand? How accurate is the thermostat? I'm finding even though the Bryant says it's 71 or 72 deg. it's around 67 or 68 (compared using a digital thermometer setup right next to the thermostat).

While poking my nose around, I'm finding "7-day" programmable and "5-1-1" programmable. I'm assuming 7-day refers to 7 individual programmable days while the 5-1-1 is a single week day program (5 days) and then two other programs for the weekend. Am I correct?

Thanks to all in advance.

Andy S.

Reply to
Andy S.

Your assumptions are correct. I personally recommend programmable stats.

I will not recommend any specific model or brand since I don't have enough personal experience to offer any real help. The two I have had (one Honeywell and one Hunter) both have worked well.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I had a Hunter for many years, but it was very difficult to change from heating to cooling cycles. So I got an El Cheapo unit, a Lux, from Home Depot. Worked very well for me. Can program for 4 changes per day, two on the weekend. If you're not off on the weekend, you just lie to it on what day it is. After I had mine for over a year, I put one in my mother's house, and she is comfortable on using it, switching over for seasons, etc. Now, if you'd like to pay double the price, get a Honeywell.

Reply to
Michael Baugh

On 1/8/2005 12:47 AM US(ET), Andy S. took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

Most newer ones have up to 4 settings per day (Morning-Day-Evening-Night). Their weekly settings can be 7 day (every day the same), 5-2 (Mon-Fri the same, Sat and Sun the same), 5-1-1 (Mon-Fri the same, Sat and Sun different), and probably every other configuration that the on board computer chip can handle. I have a programmable Honeywell, and also two programmable Sears thermostats that I bought at least 15 years ago, and they work basically and equally the same ( 4 daily settings, 5-2 days).

Reply to
willshak

I hate name dropping because they dont pay me to advertise their products but Id stick with a Honeywell or White-Rogers. Hunter and Lux are cheap pieces of shit. Ive yanked more of their garbage off of customers walls than any other brands. There is also a "5-2" day programmable stat. Battery and non-battery models too. Just research what all the bells and whistles do.

Reply to
Bubba

Yes.

Honeywell is the leading thermostat manufacturer - in addition to their own brand they make the thermostats for the majority of the world's HVAC companies. Reason: best performance (maintainence of temperature within 1 degree) and low in-the-field failure rate.

I like the new VisionPro line - since you have no A/C you could use the heat-only model. It is available online or at selected HD stores. Here's the interactive demo.

Travis Jordan

I suggest a Honeywell, although there may be others that work as well. I definitely don't recomment Lux. I have had 2 different Lux models, one a straight electronic thermostat and one programmable, and they both failed within about a year. The straight thermostat burned up, and the programmable got extremely unstable. That was when I went and paid the extra and got a Honeywell.

Bill Gill

Reply to
Bill

My house had several old Hunter stats, probably 10+ years old. They all worked perfectly but didn't have all the features I wanted. so i just replaced all with the 7 day programmable Hunter with Indiglo backlight. Very nice units. Easy to program, plenty of features. No complaints.

Reply to
Astro

'Any comments on Honeywell brand? How accurate is the thermostat? '

Virtually all of the electronic programmable thermostats are accurate to within 1 f. Honneywell is ok but i prefer SaverStat 9600 model -- easier to program and comes with the longest warranty on the market : 5 years unconditional .

'While poking my nose around, I'm finding "7-day" programmable and "5-1-1" programmable. I'm assuming 7-day refers to 7 individual programmable days while the 5-1-1 is a single week day program (5 days) and then two other programs for the weekend. Am I correct? Thanks to all in advance. Andy S.'

Correct. Most people do not need a 7 day individual program unless you work different hours or unless you go to bed earlier/later on tuesdays and thursdays :)

Reply to
Hello Friend

Almost any new digital thermostat is programmable. I prefer the honeywell units. I just replace my old one with a new honeywell 8000 series touch thermostat. (bought it off ebay for cheap) Real sweet thermostat! Take a look at their website. Lowes is selling them too nowadays.

Tom

Reply to
Sexytom976

Wrong Tommy. There are many many digital thermostats out there that are digital but NON programmable. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

He said "almost any". Check the Home Depot web page and see they have 12 programmable, 4 NON programmable. I'm sure you won't agree, but that is "most" are.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

That's me!! :)

Reply to
Andy S.

You are looking at one page in a "Home Cheapo" slick. Of course they will show the programmables. They cost more. Do you believe everything you see? Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Stores devoted to homeowners sell what people want to buy. Local plumbing supply may carry only one or two brands. Contractors are often looking for cheap, not what is best for the customer. If they could sell more of the non-programmable, they would carry more of them. If you feel otherwise, OK with me, but I doubt you can come up with total sales figures to back up your statement. I believe what I see over what someone on a newsgroup tells me. Your friend, Slick

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I would buy only Honeywell, but that's because I've had no problems with mine and others brands seem to have problems. Try to keep it as simple as problem. Mine has 4 temperatures per day for 5 working days and 2 temperatures per day for 2 days. I.e. Monday through Friday, temp at get up, temp at leave for work, temp at return, temp at bedtime time you you program, Sat and Sun temp get up. temp go to bed.

Buy one in the $50-$60 range, you'll be amazed at how much more comfortable they keep your home.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Geez, I said MOST. I know not all digitals are programmable.

Almost wonder why the would even offer digital non programmable ones in the first place. Cut that line of the non programmable's and offer a real cheapo programmie.

Oh well, some contractors are ultra cheap I guess there is then a market.

If you want to do this on the REAL cheap, just buy one off of ebay. Lots and LOTS of programmable units, some new and under

10.00 (plus a couple of bucks shipping)

Personally I would spend the money on a quality brand.

Tom

Bubba wrote:

Reply to
Sexytom976

C'mon, a whole bunch of VCR's don't have their time set because the owner doesn't know how. There are plenty of technophobes that would refuse to get a particular thermostat if it was listed as 'programmable'.

Reply to
Michael Baugh