any reason I couldn't tap into a French drain to use it as a basement floor drain?

My water treatment equipment and hot water heater are at the opposite end of the basement from the sump, which seem to be hooked to a French drain. There is about an inch of blue styrofoam all around the perimeter of the basement; when I busted a few chunks of it out I saw crushed rock underneath.
I'm thinking about somehow setting up a system to drain the equipment to the crushed rock below the floor. This would save a bunch of shop-vaccing water off the floor when I have to break fittings for maintenance, or if something breaks.
Any problems with such an approach?
Thanks, Pete.
PH wrote:

I don't see any reason it wouldn't work. Sounds like the "French drain" was installed at a later date as a means of "waterproofing" the basement. The system should handle a generous quantity of water.
Jim
Does it go to a sump pump in the basement or downhill somewhere .
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (m Ransley) wrote in message

Into a sump pump in the basement.